Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing baffles

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:21 PM
glidingwide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing baffles

I am fairly new to the Harley brotherhood.....been on bikes most of my life though.....I purchased an '01 Wide Glide back in June and it came with V&H Straightshots (staggered) without baffles. I had about enough of the the popping and backfiring after I let off the throttle and the unclean sound between gears. I ordered some baffles yesterday through a local cycle shop. My question is how hard is it to do a self install of the baffles? I am hoping that he ordered the quiet baffles for me...if not, I will worry about that later....I thank you in advance for your advice and/or help. By the way, I will NEVER go back to a non-Harley bike! I am hooked!

Wayne

Oklahoma, USA

Old 11-11-2010, 08:50 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,017 Likes on 764 Posts

Welcome to the forum! (One thing you gotta do is post a pic or 2 of your bike.) There's all kinds of baffles he could have ordered, but if you're getting the V&H either kind will be loud. The quiet baffles are just a few decibels less than the stock ones, and either one should help your decel pop. Good aftermarket baffles are made by Rush and Big City Thunder, among others.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Kthulu
Intermediate

Install isn't too bad. Check your heat shields first; the older V&H heat shields have a cut out for accessing the bolt that holds the baffle in. If yours doesn't then the heat shields will have be removed or loosened enough to get at the bolt hole.

The baffles themselves come with tape around the fiberglass material. I put another ring of tape around the leading edge of the fiberglass to help it slide in without getting pinched too much. I also sprayed some WD40 in the pipe to lube it up a bit. Try to keep your bolt holes aligned as best you can as your sliding the baffle in.

My baffles fit in pretty tightly, but not so much that I couldn't make fine adjustments to line to bolt hole up. A little bit o' high temp Locktite and your all set.

I agree that the overall sound level doesn't change much with the "quiet" baffles, but the tone and quality of the sound from my Big Shots is much better with them in there. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put my baffles in the freezer for about an hour. Slid right in. I would recommend letting them come up to room temp before starting up though.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 AM
bcmiles
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What park of Oklahoma are you in? If you're near me I could give you a hand. I've messed around with my baffles so much I've lost count. Let me know dude!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:57 PM
glidingwide
Novice
Default Thanks a mil!!

Originally Posted by bcmiles
What park of Oklahoma are you in? If you're near me I could give you a hand. I've messed around with my baffles so much I've lost count. Let me know dude!
I live in OKC.....I'll have some pics up soon....as soon as I get 'em downloaded to my laptop....this forum is GREAT!! it be great to find some new riding buddies as well!! I'll jet you my email address later this evening and we can work out details...again, thank y'all so much!!

Wayne