Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the dreaded passenger peg vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010 | 04:45 PM
NR5P
|
Intermediate
Default the dreaded passenger peg vibration

as many of you probably know some "genius" at harley put the passenger pegs on the swing arm. This seems like the best mounting point but causes terrible vibration from the road. My wife does not complain much. I just got this harley a week ago and we went riding and she was complaining about the vibration. Next 2 days she was so dizzy we had to go to the doctor. She actually had a vertigo problem, I guess some minerals got shook up in the inner ear from the vibration of the bike. Not a big deal she is fine now but I need to fix this. I put my own foot on the peg riding down the road and there is a lot of vibration, not as much that I would think it would cause her problem but it's to much anyways.

Heres the purpose of this post. Has anyone mounted there pegs to the frame? I see how it could be done on the verticle part of the frame in the rear as long as it's high enough that the singarm wouldn't hit it. I'm planning on fabbing up a bracket that will go to the frame on both sides. Right side is easy but left side of bike will be a little harder. Before I go through the trouble just thought I'd see if anyone else has done it that may have a better idea. This problem is pretty rediculous and a search finds it is very common. I'm surprised somebody hasn't made a fix yet.

btw I saw a couple people in previous posts tried the floor boards and it doesn't seem to help enough. This is the only thing that I don't like about the bike. My wife and I love to ride together and this bikes seat is so comfortable. I gotta get this fixed though!!

Old 11-09-2010 | 05:17 PM
dustinn3
Cruiser

Same problem. I've been toying with the idea of relocating them to the frame as well. I'm not sure what the size of the frame tube is but I'm wondering if these wouldn't work. http://www.rivcoproducts.com/product...cat=221&page=1

I tried putting some rubber bushings under the existing mounts but it just made it worse.

Old 11-09-2010 | 05:26 PM
NR5P
|
Intermediate

i've got a set of calipers I'll check the frame size tomorrow. Those would definately work on the right side. Like I said I just got the bike and not familiar but there is a cover in the way on the left side that would be in the way of those unless the tubing curved around. I don't know what this cover is covering, it's right behind the ignition coil so maybe ignition box? My first harley. I'm going to take a close look at that this weekend. I would rather spend 170.00 on something that looked pretty than make some welded up tubing that was ugly. Thanks for the reply

Old 11-09-2010 | 05:40 PM
NR5P
|
Intermediate

went ahead and measured the tube. It's hard to get a good measurement without taking the covers off. I'm getting about 1.3 instead of 1.5. Is there any highway pegs out there that are adjustable up and down as well as back and forth? I ask this because it would have to be mounted pretty high and would put the pegs up to high so the frame mounted highway bars would have to drop down.

Old 11-09-2010 | 05:45 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member

My wife hasnt really complained about the vibration but she has complained her knee hurts sometimes so she wraps her legs up around my waste and rides that way...

Old 11-09-2010 | 05:49 PM
Poisond 08 Fatbob
Tourer
Old 11-09-2010 | 05:58 PM
dpriest
Road Master

had the same problem. easy fix. only cost $15000. took the pegs off and sold them. then bought a road glide for when the old lady wants to ride. problem solved.

seriously, there has to be some way of isolating or rubber mounting those things. i'd like to see what you come up with. i think the frame vibrates just as much as the swing arm.

Old 11-09-2010 | 06:08 PM
Chris Creole
Cruiser

Off the pegs and tell your better half to get her own bike!

Old 11-09-2010 | 07:33 PM
dondee
Tourer

I too have wondered if the Kuryakin ISO pegs help any.

Anybody have an opinion?

P.S.- I'm also wondering if the Michelin Scorchers have anything to do with the problem. I think they're at the root of my mysterious 30-35 mph cornering vibration. From the general road feel I've come to believe that their compound makeup is about one notch more compliant than the road surfaces they ride on...

Last edited by dondee; 11-09-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-09-2010 | 09:56 PM
Bobber S
Tourer

Get rid of your wife ... problem solved.

Quick Reply: the dreaded passenger peg vibration