Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart Racing Crossbacks - Defective Tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 PM
INADAZE
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rinehart Racing Crossbacks - Defective Tips

After only a few months, the signature black tips began to fade and finally became a full-on copper/bronze color. I got the pipes installed by the dealer before I took ownership so naturally I called them to ask what they could do. I got the customary, "that's not right, you'll need to bring it in so we can run some tests... blah blah blah..." Who has time for that nonsense...

One of the other guys I ride with told me to just call Rinehart's customer service and they should replace them. Called Rinehart Racing and had the new tips at my doorstep a week or two later without any hassle whatsoever! Rinehart did confirm that they'd been having a few issues with the company that was coating their tips and have since then changed companies.

Two thumbs up to Rinehart Racing for making a great product and standing by it!

The pics were taken with my phone so I apologize for the low quality, but you get the point.

Before:

After:

Old 11-07-2010, 03:44 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having same issue, I emailed Rinehart and they haven't reply back, I know they turned like purple in all ot their exhaust. I requested chrome end caps from them.

planning on replacing end caps with one of these from www.Bub.com , makers of Rineharts exhaust for a while. found under accessories, $ 70 a pair from J&P cycles.

Hopefully your replacements won't turned purple on you.

Attached Thumbnails Rinehart Racing Crossbacks - Defective Tips-bub-end-cap.jpg   Rinehart Racing Crossbacks - Defective Tips-black-bub-end-cap.jpg   Rinehart Racing Crossbacks - Defective Tips-end-caps.jpg  
Old 11-07-2010, 03:55 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by INADAZE
After only a few months, the signature black tips began to fade and finally became a full-on copper/bronze color. I got the pipes installed by the dealer before I took ownership so naturally I called them to ask what they could do. I got the customary, "that's not right, you'll need to bring it in so we can run some tests... blah blah blah..." Who has time for that nonsense...

One of the other guys I ride with told me to just call Rinehart's customer service and they should replace them. Called Rinehart Racing and had the new tips at my doorstep a week or two later without any hassle whatsoever! Rinehart did confirm that they'd been having a few issues with the company that was coating their tips and have since then changed companies.

Two thumbs up to Rinehart Racing for making a great product and standing by it!
Actually, from the pictures you posted, they don't look bad that color. Other than the tips fading, how do like the exhaust, performance and sound wise?
CB

Old 11-07-2010, 04:08 PM
INADAZE
Cruiser

HD, it took a few days to get a reply, but they got there fairly quick after that. Those tips a pretty sweet, I'd love to see them on the bike. My only hesitation would be if they'd line up with the holes to mount them.

CB, that's actually why I dealt with it for several months before I even called Rinehart. The bronze color actually went along with the flames on the tank, but I wanted the black tips back, Rinehart's trademark. I couldn't be happier with the sound and performance. Unfortunately, I had the pipes and air cleaner on before I even picked it up so I can't give any opinions versus stock. I went with Rinehart for their unique sound (a deeper tone versus V&H raspy tone) and I chose the Crossbacks because they were different and as far as I know the only '10 WG on HDF with them at the time. I was a little anxious about my leg position next to the pipes at first, but it works out well. When I'm in traffic, it can be tough because my pants often rest right on the pipe when stopped or at slow speeds so I have to be conscious of it.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:39 PM
HDDyna2006
Banned

I love the way they look and sound, only one of my tips was turning color, so I swapped then so the other one turns, I guess muffler temp have to do with it.
I got them last Dec on clearance sale from Dennis Kirk for $393 shipped.

Mine are chrome, planning on spraying black heat resistant paint under heat shield Rinehart Racing lettering so it shows better.

Last edited by HDDyna2006; 11-07-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 PM
jjwin98
Cruiser
Unhappy

just put the same pipies on about 300 miles on them, hope mine dont fade like that, love the look and sound of them

Old 11-08-2010, 12:54 PM
tazman509
Road Captain

I have the black pipes with Chrome tips on my fxdf. Sound great and performance is greatly improved over stock. I will agree with inadaze. They do get hot on the leg. Don't attempt the ride around the block to dry it off while wearing shorts thing!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:28 PM
sportruck00
6th Gear

Love the quality, style and sound myself.

Pipes seem to hang a bit higher then most others I have seen. I live near the mountains and ride a good amount in the curves. No worries of dragging a pipe yet.

Roughly 500 miles so far - no color discoloration..

Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 PM
INADAZE
Cruiser

I think some of the issues with the discoloration may have been related to my bike running a little lean before I had it dynoed at a custom shop.
They definitely started out as black, then to purple, and then to the bronze. This all happened over a couple months and maybe 1500 miles. I haven't seen or heard of anyone else having this particular issue so I don't think others need to worry.

I was mostly posting to praise Rinehart's customer service.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 PM
sportruck00
6th Gear

Originally Posted by INADAZE
I think some of the issues with the discoloration may have been related to my bike running a little lean before I had it dynoed at a custom shop.
They definitely started out as black, then to purple, and then to the bronze. This all happened over a couple months and maybe 1500 miles. I haven't seen or heard of anyone else having this particular issue so I don't think others need to worry.

I was mostly posting to praise Rinehart's customer service.
INADAZE - do you recall your before and after dyno figures??

Just curious how the HD products combine did.

At 6,000 feet above sea level my stock dyno came in at 68hp and 81ft/lbs tq.

After installation of a Stage II Arlen Ness Big Sucker intake, Rinehart Cross-back exhaust followed by a DirectLink Tune - 79hp and 91 ft/lbs tq.

Quick Reply: Rinehart Racing Crossbacks - Defective Tips