Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid Glide 49mm setup info std or lowered Low $$

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 04:32 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by parts eeter
As many of you guys remember the Progressive NON Drop in kit required an additional top out spring under the damper rod to limit extended length of the fork. This does require more in depth dissassembly so refer to your service manual regarding this. But here is the part number for the HD top out spring which I will be using sometime in the future to do a budget lowered setup.
HD Pt#46517-01 (2) reqd 1 per leg Total cost $6.00

I will be reusing the stock springs to retain ride quality and would probably reccomend sticking with 20wt oil on this setup as the reduced travel will require the additional damping to prevent bottoming.

I will also be using a 3/4 inch loaded rider sag measurement to net an extra 1/4 of useable travel.

This setup will give a 1 inch lower stance while retaining a decent ride quality. Considering how bad the setup was from the factory this will probably ride better than many of our stock setups all while giving a better looking lowered front end.

I havent done this yet as I didnt want my bike lowered becuse I am thinking of moving back to the mountains where peg clearance is worthwhile. So if you choose to go this route I havent tested it but thought many of you would like to know this info.
Good write up.
However, what made the difference in ride improvement? The heavier weight fluid or the proper sag, both? Also, the pvc tube you used is going to displace more fluid so you may also have a higher fluid level which would also work to stop bottoming. So three variables effecting the fork action, tedious I know, but it would have been interesting to see how they affected the performance individually. It is a fact that these bikes come with too much sag, especially for a rider over 180/200 lbs.
One thing about using and additional top out spring with the stock length spring is possible coil bind, so keep that in mind.
Again, good write up and good info.
CB

Old 11-07-2010, 07:00 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The new PVC spacer have impact on the oil displacement (although minimal) as it is in the top of the fork leg. Only about an inch or 2 displaces any fluid. I am sure the improvement was a result of the proper Sag, and the proper weight of oil and the fact that the Bel Ray fluid is of much higher quality than the HD Type E fluid and the fact that its fresh oil. Oil height in any fork will provide a firmer action towards the bottom of the travel as fluid is not compressable. The local dealer recommended adding 2 ozs additional to prevent bottoming but I chose not to due to the extra thickness of the PVC spacer.
So I would assume it was a combination of ingredients that made for a great ride.

As far as the lowered setup would go, the PVC spacer length will end up being shorter than my current setup. This will avoid the coil bind within the top out spring. My starting point for this setup will be cut the 11 5/8 current PVC spacer down the exact length of the additional top out spring. This will effectively maintain the same preload on the spring that I currently have while having an overall extended length being lower by the amount of additional top out spring. Many guys have been doing this in various ways for along time. Even the old style progressive lowering kit uses this same method. Check this out.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com...rkLowerKit.pdf

Last edited by parts eeter; 11-07-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:22 AM
dtone72rss
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant find in my manual for my 07 SB where it says how to mesure for the sag ar how much it should sag.