Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to lock down HD detachable saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 10:18 PM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to lock down HD detachable saddlebags

So, I got a good deal on a really, really clean set of the HD detachable saddlebags including all the mounting hardware (HD# 90181-08, http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...45524448768136). These have a pull pin inside the bag which is really more like a latch (where it just holds the detachable from detaching).

What have others done with the HD leather bags (really leather covered plastic tub) to keep them off the five finger discount shelf? (meaning stolen).

There are really two issues here. One is locking the bag itself so that you can stop in to pee somewhere without having to rush. There are no locks on the bag to keep the opportunity thief at bay. The only thing I see from HD is the Universal Saddlebag Lock Kit (http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...45524448775807).

In fact, with it just having a pull pin inside, once they open the flap, they can just pull the pin and slide the bag off. Which is the second issue. How to keep someone from walking away with the bags. They'd only need 5-10 seconds to walk away with one or both. If a van was parked next to the bike, it's possible that no one ever sees them take 'em off and toss them in the van. ASSUMING I can find a way to lock the top flap, I'm wondering if someone can just use a screwdriver to jimmy the bag off; in which case, I'd need some kind of lock to make that harder.

Now I know that there is no way to make them theft proof. Heck, even safes are rated by minutes to break into them. I'm just looking for a way to keep the casual thief from getting them and have the experienced thief pick an easier target.

Any thoughts on how to keep bags secure? I already have them, so other bag choices aren't on the options list. What have others done to keep their soft bags or plastic tub bags secure?

Last edited by NeverEnoughToys; 11-06-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: fonetix sux 4 speling
Old 11-09-2010, 04:33 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I never worry about mine. But you could use this:
http://inertiawrx.com/

Old 06-23-2015, 12:25 PM
JUOPPERI
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure it out?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:45 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JUOPPERI
Insure the bike well and forget about it.

I've had these bags for 4 years. I've never found a way to keep them secure from theft. I don't think they make anything that does.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:08 PM
NeverEnoughToys
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JUOPPERI
No, not yet. So far they've been fine when I have them on the bike (though they're off more than on). The InertiaWRX might work for it, but I haven't been willing to take a chance on cutting up my bags to see if the Universal would work. The detachable linkage doesn't require anyone to open the lid to walk away with it anyway - a simple screwdriver or bent awl and it's gone. I still need a way to deal with that, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

I did end up using the InertiaWRX on the Road King Custom and leather tour pak. I now tend to take that one out when I need to lock things up or overnight trips.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:35 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Why not just drill a hole through the bag and the bracket just ahead the bottom bracket that comes down from the shock. Providing yours mounts like mine. Then put a bolt and nut on it. This will require a thief to get their tools out to remove the bags. The down side is that it will also make it more of a chore to remove them yourself.

Last edited by Super08; 07-02-2015 at 11:40 PM.