Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbrushing on denim paint???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:34 AM
studiopeg
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Airbrushing on denim paint???

For Christmas, I want to have the 3 stooges airbrushed on my husband's flat black denim 2008 Fat Bob. Obviously the artist would not be able to clearcoat it.

Anyone ever seen airbrushing on the denim paint? Is it even do-able? I've not been able to find anything at all about it when searching the internet.

Thanks..........

Old 11-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Streetbob Bomber
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father air brushed a wolf head on both sides of his tank on his 08 night train, turned out great! He then sold the bike around 6 months later so i cannot tell you how the paint aged or weathered over time. I would ask paint shops for there expert input on that paint option.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:05 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Streetbob Bomber
My father air brushed a wolf head on both sides of his tank on his 08 night train, turned out great! He then sold the bike around 6 months later so i cannot tell you how the paint aged or weathered over time. I would ask paint shops for there expert input on that paint option.
Thanks Streetbob... I do have an email out to the airbrusher, I'll see what she says. She is a nationally known airbrushing expert.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please let us all know what you find out. Don't forget to send pics when you get a chance.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Jarhead08
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It'll hold up to an extent depending on what kind of paint is used. But washing and weather will affect it over time.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:39 PM
baldu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe all the denim colors do have a matte-finish clearcoat. I assume you could put the same kind of clearcoat on top of the stooges. It would be easy enough to test if you have access to the materials. I'd rather use a piece of scrap instead of my bike as a guinea pig.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:42 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

From the pro airbrusher (pamelashanteau.com) who's opinion I highly respect:

"There is no way to prep the matte surface for airbrushing and clearcoat without ruining the matte finish."

I told her it cannot be clear coated and nothing can be used on the paint regarding cleaners except for Windex, and this was her answer.

Drat. I really wanted to surprise Hubby with the Stooges

Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Streetbob Bomber
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But to use the actual denim paint from harley is this rumor...HD had to release the denim paint code to local shops in order, but they never released the proper way to bake the paint after painting. Anyone else heard about this?

Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

You must be able to do it somehow. Harley even put out denim tins with airbrushed stuff on them. I've seen them at the local HD shop and the art work looks just like the paint. I want to do mine up as well...but not with the stooges.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:28 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by craigffb
You must be able to do it somehow. Harley even put out denim tins with airbrushed stuff on them. I've seen them at the local HD shop and the art work looks just like the paint. I want to do mine up as well...but not with the stooges.
Ya the stooges wouldn't be my first choice but he loves them, nyuk nyuk.

Well I'll keep looking around... I guess the big thing would be how to finish it since you can't coat it.

Quick Reply: Airbrushing on denim paint???