Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 fuel pump noise at startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:15 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '07 fuel pump noise at startup

I posted about this some time back hoping to get a little more feedback this time...

When switching on the ignition and hitting the run/stop switch, my fuel pump will occasionally make noises other than the usual whine. I haven't had any problems with the engine starting or noticed any problem while riding but it's disconcerting to hear something from "The Exorcist" coming from my bike's nether regions. The sound is mechanical sound - a cross between a grinding sound and a burp. (Pretty helpful description eh?) This only happens from time to time and I can't repro it at will or I'd stop by the dealer and have them look at it.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it possible that it's being caused by the 10% gasohol crap we're having to burn here in North Texas?

Old 09-20-2006, 12:31 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer
Default RE: '07 fuel pump noise at startup

I have an 07 and notice the same grinding type of noise. Never had any mechanical related issues with it. Once warmed up it just gives the normal whine like any other fuel pump. My only explaination could be that after sitting for an extended period of time the fuel that was in the pump drips downstream towards the injectors and the initial priming stage is dry (if that would make sense) .

Old 09-20-2006, 01:55 AM
phreak
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was getting that "grinding" type noise out of mine phor awhile. What I phound out was that I had a problem with my tank vent. It was plugged up with rhode dirt at the end of the vent in phront of the rear tire. Another symptom of that was a big rush of vapors when I took the gas cap off.

Cleared the vent, and I didn't get the grinding sound anymore.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:41 AM
RMBob
Cruiser

My 06 fuel pump seems to make more noise when I have the bike leaned on the stand and I switch on the kill/run switch. When I sit on the bike before hitting the kill/run switch it always has the normal fuel pump noise.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:36 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Mine does that occasionally, Towjam. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:08 AM
clayman
Road Master

Old 09-20-2006, 03:49 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: AZ Rider

Mine does that occasionally, Towjam. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Thanks - I guess there's comfort in numbers.

For what it's worth, I had the same issue with my BMW 1200GS but that bike had a number of other problems so I didn't fixate on the fuel pump noise.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:28 PM
Cabo
Road Captain

I was just thinking of posting this same question earlier this week. 98% of the time mine sounds like a regular buzz. The other 2% it sounds like a regular buzz with a sore throat and I’ve never experienced any problems that might lead me to believe there is something really wrong either. I had a Yamaha Warrior that did the same thing once in awhile so it’s business as usual for me till I hear different.

Old 09-21-2006, 07:55 PM
stbob
Tourer

Yeah mine too, but im not sweatin it

Old 09-21-2006, 10:57 PM
dyna2319
Tourer

Check to see how much gas is in the tank and if the noise changes when low. My dyna makes the same noise but the pitch does change slightly when the tank is low.

Dyna2319
06 FXDWG/I with more mods than the wife knows about

Quick Reply: '07 fuel pump noise at startup