Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Risers and Apes

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010 | 07:35 PM
bobnehoc
|
Road Master
Default Risers and Apes

My last bike was an 08 SB which I lost last June due to another careless SUV driver making a Left. I replaced her about a month later with an 07 Low Rider. The guy I bought the bike from had installed drag bars which were nice, but not my style. he also gave me the stock handlebar setup which I promptly put back on the bike. I really missed the mini apes on the SB. I plan to chrome the front end towards the end of the winter, legs and triple trees. I would like to put Apes on, maybe 12 or 14 inches. The stock risers are pull backs and the riser clamp has the idiot lites installed in it. My question is can I put the apes on these risers? Will this look stupid and will it cause any handling issues? I know that I can change the risers and move the lights but if others have done this and know if this mod will work it would be greatly appreciated as I would need to chrome the stock risers when I do the rest of the front end. I am also aware of the fact that I will need new cables and I will have to lengthen the wires which is really no big deal. Thanks for your help/advice.

Attached Thumbnails Risers and Apes-risers.jpg   Risers and Apes-risers2.jpg  
Old 11-03-2010 | 10:20 PM
dsiltman
Cruiser

Thinking about doing the same to my Lowrider with Streetbob bars that will give it about a 16" rise. I had a sporty with Streetbob bars on pullback risers and it handled fine. I saw another Lowrider on here set up that way and the windshield kind of hides the riser anyway so it did'nt look bad.

Old 11-03-2010 | 11:06 PM
filthpig
Cruiser

Mine has 16s with 2 1/2 risers. I like the sportster risers that you have. Does not matter what others think if you like it that way, go for it!

Attached Thumbnails Risers and Apes-2010-014.jpg   Risers and Apes-fender-001.jpg  
Old 11-04-2010 | 06:25 AM
bobnehoc
|
Road Master

Thanks for the feedback. I will try and locate the other Low Rider dsiltman is talking about so i can see what it looks like. I usually only run with a windshield in the cold, just happened to be on for the picture. Thanks filthpig, those are actually the stock risers for the Low Rider.....Like what you have done to your bike. Chopping the struts is a real nice way to clean up the rear. Are you planning on running any type of fender?. Wouldn't mind doing the same to mine, but 2 up riding would probably be a real bitch. Will have to wait until I can afford another bike....

Old 11-04-2010 | 09:51 AM
filthpig
Cruiser

yes, rear fender is in my future. I have a 9 inch wide round top blank I have welded a plate on so that I may mount it directly to the swingarm. It will be about 1/3 inch off the tire and cover 180 degrees. I have a modified everything on rear and I need to move wheel back a bit, so for now its all on hold.