Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stress Cracks on 2010 Street Bob (Rear Fender)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Good luck getting that squared away. I'd be pissed as hell too.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

jesus christ people the bolt doesnt touch the fender its a cutout straight from the factory!!
OP- just take that $%IT to the stealer and make em replace it

Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

hahaha.. Did I say that is was a cutout from the factory? Hahahah.

Well, all. I took it to the service dept today from where I bought it, and before I could finish describing the problem the guy finished my sentence. Seems they had another in the back with the same exact problem, and in the same exact manner.
Guy wrote up a warranty ticket for me lickity split. Told me to keep my bike, and he'd call when the fender came in.
So it seems to be a defect in the mounting system for the bike's license plate mount and tail light fixture. Either that or a run of bad fenders from the factory.
Either way, Harley is taking care of it. I am glad I was not the 1st guy to bring it in for this problem. Service guy said it took him a while to see that there was an issue on the first guys, but now that he had seen two with the exact problem they know it is fault of the bikes and not the owner.

A cool head, and a good report with the shop made it all well in the end. So far anyway.

Last edited by editbrain; 11-01-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:10 AM
HDDyna2006
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get a side mount for plate so next fender don't do crack

The following users liked this post:
fxrnutt (05-24-2016)
Old 11-01-2010, 11:15 AM
sinbadfxdl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the price we pay , there shouldn't be any issues. Thin metal is not the answer. Geez

Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sinbadfxdl
For the price we pay , there shouldn't be any issues. Thin metal is not the answer. Geez

I agree. Could be a lot of things. Could be the mounting bolt holes were drilled to large. Could be an over sight on the weight of the bracket, but in my experience if you have thin sheet metal fastened to a heavy steel bracket, and add intense vibrations.. Something is going to give, and it will be the weakest point. The bolt holes. That is where the crack started.

I am not going to fool with fixing a hole in the fender to mount a side light. I don't want to fool with filling a hole to just use the blinkers as my tail lights ala the IRON 883.

I will get a new fender. Ride the mess out of the bike like I have been doing, and if it does it again. Address it again. I will just have to keep on until they put a good fender on it. That is if is keeps failing.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts

Actually its probably not thin but actually were the material is too thick and two much carbon and stress left in it after rolling. Until a few years ago I had a stock 46 truck I drove to the gym and around locally. Both front fenders did this. When we repaired it we drilled holes at the end of the crack and then tig welded it. Took a propane torch and attempted to heat the area to take some of the hardness out. When I drilled the holes the 3/16 high speed drill bit running slow just made small blue chips. After repairing cracks came back in a few months right beside weld repair through new paint. Glad they took care of it. Sure am glad you were not first one.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:09 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior

Yeah. I agree about being the 1st one. I feel I would have to have gotten hot headed, and I really don't have the energy after the week I have had.
I would have to say that the final answer is that it is a softer metal bolted to a harder bracket. Add vibrations and crack. It breaks.
You cannot have soft metal against hard metal, and have the vibrations that the bike puts out.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:08 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

I'm just glad to hear the Stealership didn't try to give you the run around with lies and "your fault" excuses.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:25 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior

Me too, bro. Me too.

I just told him that I wouldn't be wasting my time up here if it wasn't a legit issue. They know I do my own maintenance and all. Even checked out my maintenance once. They replied everything looks good. Meaning bolts and oil level, etc.
They do try to charge me full labor on simple **** I ask them to do, but hey. They gotta make money, and I ask, but know before I ask that I will end up doing the work myself.

Also I have found a good Indy that I trust to do work as well. I take pride in my Harley. I wanted one for 28 years. Why wouldn't I take joy in keeping it together. I think the service guys know that I am not completely stupid to motorcycles. I might not be correct on everything, or even 100% correct on stuff I do know.

Quick Reply: Stress Cracks on 2010 Street Bob (Rear Fender)