Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I still be able to keep the same seat I currently have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 AM
Golden State
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will I still be able to keep the same seat I currently have?

I'm thinking about purchasing this Dyna Chopped Rear Fender kit... but my question is, if I put that on my bike, will I still be able to keep my current seat? I'd like for my wife to still be able to ride with my on my bike occasionally.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35561

Picture of my current bike (07 street bob) is in my sig.

Last edited by Golden State; 10-31-2010 at 12:15 AM. Reason: include picture
Old 10-31-2010, 01:11 AM
JunkHead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, the only thing i'm not sure of is if the new fender has the hole for the passenger option. If not you can easily drill one and install the mounting receiver.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:45 AM
sbyumabaker
Cruiser

Yes, but you may have to modify the new fender. The fender you want to get may not have the hole to secure your seat; so you’re going to have to drill a hole in your new fender.
**********************This is how I’ll skin the cat*********************
** do this before you paint**
  • Remove your old fender and do not get rid of anything yet.
  • Install new fender properly bolting down points to normal specs
  • Install your seat like you normally do; but you’re not able to screw it into fender.
  • Line up the seat so it is center properly like is used to be on your stock fender.
  • Score/mark exact spot inside hole of seat bracket
  • Step back and make sure it looks how you want it to look before committing
  • Go back to your old fender and remove nylon clip that holds fastener to rear fender; save clip/fastener and do not lose.
  • Take your drill bits out and fit test drill bits to the hole in old fender to get the exact or near exact size to hole. ( do the same thing if there is a smaller tab opening in that area. It probably not a prefect hole but looks like a key hole in your old fender)
  • Remove new fender from bike and start a nice small pre drill at the mark you made earlier, and then work your way up in sizes to the correct size you need. ( If you need to make that smaller opening just be careful; maybe you can easily place the smaller drill bit in the bigger hole and just move up and down to copy the old fender’s hole pattern)**might can use a small file for desired outcome** Attempt to install fastener throughout this procedure; would not want to drill too big.
  • Once you can install fastener and clip to new fender you should be able to do whatever you need such as paint and be ready for full install.

Hope the info helps

Old 10-31-2010, 04:48 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

I have this kit and the fender has both holes. I have a 2-up seat for when my wife wants to ride with me.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Golden State
Cruiser

thanks for the feedback fellas. I think I'm going to buy this.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Why buy the "kit"? Why not just cut your existing fender. Much much cheaper. You may even find a cheap take-off fender on ebay.

Why should the MoCo make money on something people have been doing for free since the 50's/60's+.

Just a suggestion, as it is your money to do with as you see fit.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Golden State
Cruiser

yeah, i see where you're coming from. I've thought of that. The trick is, finding someone who can bob it, AND paint it matching the Harley pewter denim. from everyone I talked to, they all say its expensive to get the paint from Harley.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:18 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Golden State
yeah, i see where you're coming from. I've thought of that. The trick is, finding someone who can bob it, AND paint it matching the Harley pewter denim. from everyone I talked to, they all say its expensive to get the paint from Harley.
Why do you need to find someone to "bob it"? Mark the fender using the blue painters tape...then either using a cut-off wheel, hack saw, jigsaw, etc...cut it. It's not rocket science. It's a piece of metal that can be cut and beat into whatever shape you want. This sounds like a very good reason to hit Harbor Freight for a cut-ff wheel.

As far as painting it...I'm sure you have a local body shop that would paint it for you.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:23 AM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

the paints cheaper than getting a color matched fender from harley

Old 02-22-2011, 12:40 PM
donbambino
5th Gear

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
Why buy the "kit"? Why not just cut your existing fender. Much much cheaper. You may even find a cheap take-off fender on ebay.

Why should the MoCo make money on something people have been doing for free since the 50's/60's+.

Just a suggestion, as it is your money to do with as you see fit.
has anyone done this? if so, where do you chop? just past the end of the fender rails above plate holes? what about re-wiring to a side mount license plate?

Quick Reply: Will I still be able to keep the same seat I currently have?