Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 work begun!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 AM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 103 work begun!

I'm stoked. I just dropped a pair of heads and cylinders off at Dewey's Heads near Federal Way. My local indie had an extra set of both (in black!) so he'll just keep mine when he does the swap-out.

The proof will be in the dyno for sure, but I sure like Don @ Dewey's Heads. He is a Boeing engineer by day and makes bikes go faster by evening and weekend. He has his shop behind his house. The upside is very good pricing. $550 for the heads and $175 for the cylinders. The heads were $100 more because I gave him 2002(?) heads which have narrower exhaust ports than 2006 and newer, so more work removing material.

For those interested, here is his website: http://deweysheads.com/HDBD_home.html

Now I just have to save the $$ for all the other stuff (cams, etc.). But by Spring I'll be grinning big!

Steve

Old 10-31-2010, 02:25 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good stuff! I'm interested in something similar for my bike, just haven't decided where to go or what route to take.

I'd like to see the results of the mods that you end up doing. My goal is to get about 100/100 torque/hp in the low to mid range.

Living in your region, I'll be following your build, so the more detail the better.

Keep us posted.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:14 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Man, now you're really going to be pulling away from me in those twisties!!

Old 10-31-2010, 02:26 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Dons work in my motor...............it rips.... great guy as well

Old 10-31-2010, 06:29 PM
yso191
Club Member

Originally Posted by thedonthere
I have Dons work in my motor...............it rips.... great guy as well
You're the one that turned me on to him. Thanks!

And Jaron, no worries, Don doesn't include extra riding skill with the headwork, so I think you're safe.

Steve

Old 10-31-2010, 08:24 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What cams are you planning on using?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I plan to use Don for my work this winter too!

Look forward to your results.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:27 PM
tweakin
Road Master

Steve, I never heard back from you so I was wondering what was up. Did you get my email? Good to hear you are moving forward with the build. What size of valves did you go with for the heads?

Last edited by tweakin; 10-31-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:54 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yso191

And Jaron, no worries, Don doesn't include extra riding skill with the headwork, so I think you're safe.
True, but you got skill and 13" shocks. While you were carving the turns without scraping I was grinding.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:22 PM
yso191
Club Member

Originally Posted by tweakin
Steve, I never heard back from you so I was wondering what was up. Did you get my email? Good to hear you are moving forward with the build. What size of valves did you go with for the heads?
Sorry Tige. I heard your main point about trusting Don @ Dewey’s and basically went with that. Then I think I got too enthusiastic one day about cleaning out older emails and deleted the email, forgetting that you asked me some questions. So I’ll take a minute to answer your questions here as it will also answer some questions asked above.

I sold my SE 259E cams on Don’s recommendation and will be ordering the Woods TW-555 cams. Here are his thoughts on it: “I am onboard with the plan but I am not sure about the cam. I have only one experience with my heads and that cam on a late model 103 and it made less than great numbers, 95/100. Based on what you are telling me I suggest the Wood TW555 cams. This will assure us of meeting the goal, if you are going to be sticking hard and fast to those numbers. The bike will be very fast, don't get me wrong, just may not reach that level. The close LSA of the Woods cams also gives the maximum torque under the curve and in the midrange where you need power in the hills. The SE cam has very wide LSA and is designed for a wider spread torque curve and yields less all over.
Either way will be OK and don't take this as a sales deal, I just assume not sell the part, but want you to be happy.”

I told him my goals were ~105-10 Hp / 105-10 Tq. I don’t want to go over these numbers because of the expense associated with needing to beef-up other aspects of the stock power train. For that reason I am going with stock valves and springs.

The KB Hypereutectic pistons (KB409C) are due to show up today when UPS comes. I’ll just ship them over to him. So he can match them to the cylinders.

I appreciate your input.

Steve

Quick Reply: 103 work begun!