Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifting problem after forward control install

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:53 AM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default shifting problem after forward control install

Hubby installed HD forward controls on my '08 Street Bob last weekend. Did it exactly as instructed, using all parts included. It worked fine for the first couple rides. Then I started developing a problem DOWNSHIFTING, first it was only from 5th to 4th. Then it creeped into other gears. I had to hit the shifter more than once, or hit it pretty hard to get it to downshift. THEN, it started having problems going UP through the gears. THEN ... a couple nights ago I couldn't shift at all and limped the last mile home in 2nd gear.

Anyway, hubby just opened things back up, said everything looked right, except the shifter pedal was much further up than when he first installed the forwards. So he put everything back and is test riding it for me now, but not so sure it will resolve anything.

Anyone ever have this problem? Any suggestions if it is still having problems?

Thanks for any input!

Old 10-30-2010, 09:18 AM
dsiltman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is sticking take the shifter off, front peg mount off push the shifter spline shaft out lube it up good put it back and make sure it moves real free. Button it back up and should be good. Mine starts sticking every once in a while to. Hope that helps.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:26 AM
dsiltman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yeah if you are out somewhere and it starts sticking after you make a shift use your toe to push or pull it back into place so you don't have to limp. It will still shift that way just a pain in the butt.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:53 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks! Will keep that in mind. Hubby did the test ride and came back and said it's shifting smoother than ever. So we'll see if it remains that way or not. Haven't gotten out yet myself, but plan to later today :-)

Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like he didn't tighten down the shifter pedal enough and it crept up on the splines.

If it changes position too much, you lose leverage and it becomes harder to shift.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:21 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Phrogman
Sounds to me like he didn't tighten down the shifter pedal enough and it crept up on the splines.

If it changes position too much, you lose leverage and it becomes harder to shift.
Hmm ... well I will definitely mention that to him. Wasn't able to get out on the bike myself today, but definitely will tomorrow. HE says he thinks it is shifting smoother that it ever was, but since it's MY bike, I may be able to tell better if that's true or not

Old 10-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Dingobob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the linkage arm is hitting the top of the primary, can be fixed by moving lever back one tooth on the spline to give it more clearance.