Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak!!! OMG!!! Not on a Harley!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010 | 07:49 PM
Swede405
|
Tourer
Default Leak!!! OMG!!! Not on a Harley!!!

OK, I've got a leak (photo attached) which appears to be between the primary case and where the shift linkage is attached. I'm not a pro by any means but love to do things myself if possible. Is something like this from overfill, gasket failure or something bigger?

It's a slow leak and not a huge problem, but I'd like to take care of it nonetheless and without tearing everything apart if possible.

Attached Thumbnails Leak!!! OMG!!!  Not on a Harley!!!-leak.jpg  
Old 10-29-2010 | 08:02 PM
2in2outhd
Cruiser
Default Me too!!!

I have just discovered a possible leak in the same area....let me know what u find out....i would like to fix it my self also....good luck!!!!!

Old 10-29-2010 | 08:14 PM
Streetbob Bomber
Cruiser

it is possible that it is the gasket that seals the shift shaft, only have to remove the shift peg and the outer primary case to get to the gasket.

Old 10-29-2010 | 09:20 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior

Looks like a shifter shaft seal. Its not hard to replace once you get the complete primary off the bike. Grab a service manual for your bike and read up on it. Once you read the manual, it will be very clear weather or not its something you feel you should tackle.

Old 10-29-2010 | 09:23 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

+1 shifter seal! very easy to do. did mine on wednesday.

Old 10-29-2010 | 09:35 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

I wouldnt get too bent out of shape about it. Its a real common problem, no matter which model or year you have. Theres a seal behind the shift arm thats pressed into the tranny case. To replace it, you gots to pull the inner primary, remove the shift arm, and pop the old seal out. Then press a new one in. As a word of caution before you get your hopes up. grab ahold of the shift arm and pull up on it. If theres vertical movement, then the bushing is shot and thats why its leaking. I'd lay odds you dont want to know whats entailed in that job...

If youre up to the task, and since you'll be in there, might as well check the ring seal between high gear and the mainshaft and see if its walked out, and the quad seal behind the drive pulley. Ought to replace those sticky little mothers while youre in there. If the ring seal did walk, keep a close eye on whether the bearings behind it hasnt pushed it out.

Old 10-30-2010 | 04:46 PM
Swede405
|
Tourer

Thanks for the help. I'll tackle this once the weather gets cold. I have the manual and don't mind tackling something like that. But I'm a little pissed to be losing the brand new fluid I just put in.

Old 10-30-2010 | 07:58 PM
Streetbob Bomber
Cruiser

Here you man its on this pic i circled the gasket for you, 100% DIY job.." you dont have to remove the clutch or compensator to get to the gasket", i recommend you put a little Red RTV high heat silicon on the new gasket when you replace it, b/c the OEM gasket is crappy, hence the reason for the constant leaking. hope this helps buddy!!

Old 10-30-2010 | 08:26 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior

I had my first leak this week... however it was not where it presented itself. Turns out is was a loose oil filter... vibrated loose.

Not saying yours is that but definately worth a look see.

Old 10-30-2010 | 08:53 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Swede405
But I'm a little pissed to be losing the brand new fluid I just put in.
That will pass as soon as you buy the primary gasket, self sealing bolts (if after 06), inner primary seal (might as well do it while apart), engine/primary O-ring, and the shifter shaft seal. I always replace them when its apart, eliminates problems later on. Should be about $50-60 by the time you are done.

FYI, I use ATF in the primary, 20w50 in the engine, and 75/140 in the trans. Sometimes seals like yours and the inner primary or trans are hard to pin point. With three different fluids, its a no brainer which one is leaking.

Last edited by redrubicon2004; 10-30-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Leak!!! OMG!!! Not on a Harley!!!