Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna's with 103" builds...I'm joining the club!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run the 255's when I first did the 103" and they produce good low end torque. I think I was at 95hp & 110tq. They do come on early in the rpms but take a nose dive after 4000rpms.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:55 PM
jaredleibold
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red Devil,
What cams are you running now and how do they compare for better and worse with the 255's?

I did some searching on this site for mileage and cams and most people are getting in the 40's mpg-wise no matter what they're doing it seems...however there were a few that were getting high 20's and 30's with the SE 211 but all seemed to agree in previous discussions this was a tuning issue.

On a more important note, I feel like the tech guy I spoke with at the dealer that seemed to be offering the "best" deal is trying to make money instead of make a straight deal.
He was quoting me $2600 for the 103 w/ SE 211 cams and I already have pipes and a heavy breather intake. He said I NEEDED to have a manual compression release on each head and new valve springs for the higher lift cam.
Unless I was overlooking something, all the builds I've read about w/ SE 211 cams, no matter if it was on the factory 96" or a big bore kit 103" (wouldn't matter either way, same heads are being used) I haven't read of people NEEDING compression releases and new springs. In fact, that setup from a few individuals who commented on their own, was chosen because they didn't need these things.
Thoughts on this attempted sale?
I'm about to call another tech guy at another dealer and talk to him...or just get in face to face and see what's up.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find another tech. You don't need springs,the 211's are .508 lift and plenty of people are running .575 on stock springs. I'm at .541 with no problem. I didn't go with compression releases either, instead I kept it a little lower @ 9.75:1 & 9.06 corrected, the quality of fuel will be taking a dive again soon so building a high comp engine just didn't make sense to me. They don't like the FL heat either.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:35 PM
AZFXDB
Banned

Originally Posted by domenicp7
Another expert on SE cams. Have you run them, or you just going from what you heard. It is a reliable cam and I run 107 ft/lbs of torque at 2500rpm. Its a good low end cam which runs out in the high 4000rpm range which I never run anyway as I seldom take the bike over 3500 rpms don't need to.
Wouldnt comment on them if i didnt know....genius

Old 10-27-2010, 06:52 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

I have 211's in a 103 with 10.1 compression pistons. It's a big 2007 Road Glide with PC V and SE slip on mufflers(the quiet ones). I get around low 40's on mileage even with that big bike and fairing lowers. It has enough torque to pull the front wheel off the ground a few inches. Can't see how a lighter dyna wouldn't get upper 40's. My 95" carbed superglide gets 51 MPG average if ridden sanely. The 211's in a 103 also have a hot rod loping kind of sound. Since you already have a PCV why not get the auto-tune modules? They give you a better "custom tune" than you would get from a dyno tuner.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:03 PM
SK'sHD
Intermediate

What cam in a 103ci or 110ci?

Old 10-28-2010, 12:12 AM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jaredleibold
Red Devil,
What cams are you running now and how do they compare for better and worse with the 255's?

I did some searching on this site for mileage and cams and most people are getting in the 40's mpg-wise no matter what they're doing it seems...however there were a few that were getting high 20's and 30's with the SE 211 but all seemed to agree in previous discussions this was a tuning issue.

On a more important note, I feel like the tech guy I spoke with at the dealer that seemed to be offering the "best" deal is trying to make money instead of make a straight deal.
He was quoting me $2600 for the 103 w/ SE 211 cams and I already have pipes and a heavy breather intake. He said I NEEDED to have a manual compression release on each head and new valve springs for the higher lift cam.
Unless I was overlooking something, all the builds I've read about w/ SE 211 cams, no matter if it was on the factory 96" or a big bore kit 103" (wouldn't matter either way, same heads are being used) I haven't read of people NEEDING compression releases and new springs. In fact, that setup from a few individuals who commented on their own, was chosen because they didn't need these things.
Thoughts on this attempted sale?
I'm about to call another tech guy at another dealer and talk to him...or just get in face to face and see what's up.
As of right now...Tman 625's. After the 255's I went with the se 260's(got them for free). I had my heads ported and with the 260's I went to 111hp/112tq. But they were a bit to top end for my liking. After looking at different cams, andrews, woods etc. I decided on the 625's and went with a HPI 55 t/b w/5.3 inj. and a boarzilla 2-1 pipe. I had my tuner squeeze every last bit of power out of this motor and came up with final #'s of 123hp/124tq. It took my tuner about 8hrs and 95 runs to get this motor to where it is now and I'm more than satisfied! I'm still averaging about 35-40 mpg depending on how I'm riding. But look into other cams and don't get sucked into just the se cams. They do the job, but there are better choices out there...Tman 590 & Woods tw6 to name a few.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:05 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AZFXDB
Wouldnt comment on them if i didnt know....genius
You still have not explained "garbage" and did I get your handle wrong and you are a "genius" give the OP some information they can use not a general opinion with no back up. eg. I installed them and they attracted the local garbage collector could not get rid of the collector until I uninstalled them.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 AM
WZDADS
Cruiser

Mis quote...

Last edited by WZDADS; 10-28-2010 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:40 AM
WZDADS
Cruiser

Originally Posted by AZFXDB
SE cams are garbage!!! and why worry about mileage? even if you get the 100/100 youre still likely gonna get 40 mpg or close to it so why even ask about mileage. you want power right? or are you just worried about pissin off a bunch of LIBERALS with your quest for HP??
I have personaly ridden the "King of Cubes" Randy Torgeson's small Dyna, (as he has a 117 that I could have ridden but didn't) and he says fuel mileage does not suffer because of power. Normal riding means less wick with more power...

Last edited by WZDADS; 10-28-2010 at 02:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Dyna's with 103" builds...I'm joining the club!