Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob combo speedometer/tach question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:26 AM
FastGraf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fat Bob combo speedometer/tach question

I hate not having a tach.

Instead of an add-on, I'm looking at the HD combination speedo/tach that drops into the current speedometer hole. (HD part # 74676-09).

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

My question is do you retain the current features: two trip meters; odo.;clock, low fuel miles to empty and "idiot lights" for 6th gear, low fuel, fuel injectors, check engine, oil temp?

I've asked two dealerships and they scratched their heads and I called HD customer service and was told they don't know b/c they outsource them but they wouldn't let me call their vendor and ask them. What a laugh.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 PM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

"Bolts" and plugs right in and those functions displayed on the tach are still there.
I did the chrome faced one last winter and I'n just okay with it. The sweep range of both the tach. and the speedometer are both reduced from what I'd prefer. I use 1 bar bags and things are pretty "busy" up there so I went this route vs. a handlebar mounted seperate tach.
I bought mine last winter from a local dealer at a 20% off season discount & had the bikes current miles preloaded on the new unit.
I hope this helps.
B.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:07 PM
FastGraf
Advanced

Thanks, B. Very helpful.

Just to make sure I understand, your combo displayed all the same info as the stock speedo it replaced?

I looked at the smaller scale and limited sweep as well but decided I wanted a tach and this is a clean look worth the compromise.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:14 PM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, if it was a light on the old speedo it is a light on the new combo speedo / tach. Very simple install, but as you know by now, spendy.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Which is why I'm looking at this one --

Not only is it cheaper, I like the fact it only has one dial type indicator. The MPH is digital.

I think the one you guys are looking at (or have) is a classier looking piece but I couldn't stand seeing two needles going in two directions at the same time.

Just me maybe.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:42 PM
lazy eye
Cruiser

unfortunately, that particular combo doesn't work for the 08 fat bob for some stupid *** reason. Looks like I'm skipping the tach on this bike

Old 10-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Grendel4
Banned

Originally Posted by lazy eye
unfortunately, that particular combo doesn't work for the 08 fat bob for some stupid *** reason. Looks like I'm skipping the tach on this bike
Don't take my word for it, but I think a couple people have gotten that digital tach to work on their pre-09 models.

I think (maybe) jarhead was one of those folks. Maybe not. My memory ain't what it used to be.

Getting a Paratrooper confused with a jarhead -- Not good. It was Airborne350G that started the thread.

Here it is--
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post7091249

well, it was worth the wait and nailbiting

Here it is, proof positive of a working combo digital tach speedo working in a 2008 FXDF... The only hiccup was that the fuel light was staying on and the speedo said "range lo"... I tried killing the engine in the garage and restarting... nothing would change...

I had a half tank and though maybe a fillup would help? So I pulled out of the garage and about 2 miles down the road *poof* the light went out and the speedo has been FLAWLESS ever since!

Speed, Tach, all lights function perfectly In a 2008 FXDF it works!

G:

Yes, I accept beer as payment.

But I guarantee nothing. You're on your own.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:22 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://zippersperformance.com/catalo...=583&prod=2098 I like the features the Zippers has but I decided to mount my tach on the handle bar clamps for easier visibility, I don't even like lookin down for a speed check. I've been hit a few times and I don't trust these Idiot cell phone/texting drivers.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:39 PM
lazy eye
Cruiser

Aw, Grendel4 you are my freakin' HERO dude! I'm ordering mine now!

Old 10-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Grendel4
Banned

Originally Posted by lazy eye
Aw, Grendel4 you are my freakin' HERO dude! I'm ordering mine now!
Hey, you better make sure it works first. I just remember the posts, not anything else. I can't guarantee anything.

You might want to PM or otherwise contact a couple of the posters who say they got it to work. Never know, maybe something happened later on.

I'd feel like an idiot if you spent the bread and it took a dump on you.

Check Zanotti's if you decide on it. Let me know how they go about getting your current odometer reading.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob combo speedometer/tach question