Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob combo speedometer/tach question

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
KentFXD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for the people who've upgraded -- how was the mileage reinstatement handled? Did you just tell Zanotti what your current mileage was, and the new speedo showed up on your doorstep with your original mileage already showing on the odometer?

Last edited by KentFXD; 11-17-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Ben.USMC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WoodyTJ
For my 2010 FXDF, with a 6 speed) the shifting recommendations in the maual was for the running in mileage only. If I am riding lazy I change up on the 10s (ie into 2nd at 20mph, 3rd at 30, etc) and downshift around the same. If I am looking for quick acceleration, ie to overtake, she still sounds fine at 55-60 in 3rd.
I normally stay on the 10's just like you. And I've notice that she rides better on that range. However the 55 on 3rd its not something I've tried, at least not intentionally. I'm sure I've gotten close to that when looking for some speed, but to keep it in that range is not something that I thinks works for me. On the same note I am not knowledgeable at all when it comes to performance and what works or not. If you can elaborate and teach me something, please fire away. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 PM
T-Dub
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastGraf
Follow up. I ordered the speedo/tach and it came in about 3 weeks later. I installed it myself - plug and play, it couldn't have been easier & took about 15 minutes.

How much and we need a pic of the red face. This might be a way that I go.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:16 PM
baldu
Advanced

I went with the Dakota Digital. It's got a speedo/tach as well as a few bonus features like a gear indicator and 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I don't know if I will ever actually use the times, but there they are. It was completely plug and play and took 10 minutes to install.

I set the odometer myself. It has to be set in the first hundred miles and can only be set once.

So far, I'm quite happy with it. Mine has the blue LEDs.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 AM
11bDad
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer ordered the combo speedo/tach (digital/analog) when I bought a new FXDC on Oct. 6th. They told me it should be here in 3 weeks. Here it is 6 weeks later and it's still not here. Oh well.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:29 PM
WoodyTJ
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ben.USMC
I normally stay on the 10's just like you. And I've notice that she rides better on that range. However the 55 on 3rd its not something I've tried, at least not intentionally. I'm sure I've gotten close to that when looking for some speed, but to keep it in that range is not something that I thinks works for me. On the same note I am not knowledgeable at all when it comes to performance and what works or not. If you can elaborate and teach me something, please fire away. Thanks.
I'll check again this weekend when I get home from work just in case I have overestimated my statement. Weather look good and I've been away from the bike for a whole week now

Old 11-18-2010, 02:31 PM
WoodyTJ
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 11bDad
Dealer ordered the combo speedo/tach (digital/analog) when I bought a new FXDC on Oct. 6th. They told me it should be here in 3 weeks. Here it is 6 weeks later and it's still not here. Oh well.
Stupid question - If the odometer is set at the factory with the mileage on your bike when you place the order, do you have to park the bike up till the speedo/tach arrives?

Old 11-18-2010, 03:09 PM
baldu
Advanced

Originally Posted by WoodyTJ
Stupid question - If the odometer is set at the factory with the mileage on your bike when you place the order, do you have to park the bike up till the speedo/tach arrives?
Give yourself some padding and have them set it a few hundred miles ahead of what your odo reads now. Figure how long you think it'll take to arrive times how many miles you usually ride.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:50 PM
dustinn3
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bDad
Same here, been over 6 weeks. The dealer finally called last week and said it's supposed to ship this week.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:05 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

You think this tach/speedo would work properly on an 08 Wide Glide?

Originally Posted by Grendel4
Don't take my word for it, but I think a couple people have gotten that digital tach to work on their pre-09 models.

I think (maybe) jarhead was one of those folks. Maybe not. My memory ain't what it used to be.

Getting a Paratrooper confused with a jarhead -- Not good. It was Airborne350G that started the thread.

Here it is--
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ml#post7091249

well, it was worth the wait and nailbiting

Here it is, proof positive of a working combo digital tach speedo working in a 2008 FXDF... The only hiccup was that the fuel light was staying on and the speedo said "range lo"... I tried killing the engine in the garage and restarting... nothing would change...

I had a half tank and though maybe a fillup would help? So I pulled out of the garage and about 2 miles down the road *poof* the light went out and the speedo has been FLAWLESS ever since!

Speed, Tach, all lights function perfectly In a 2008 FXDF it works!

G:

Yes, I accept beer as payment.

But I guarantee nothing. You're on your own.

Last edited by teqsand; 11-18-2010 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob combo speedometer/tach question