Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob combo speedometer/tach question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM
lazy eye
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, good idea. I PM'd orbframe and already checked out Zanotti's. They've still got it for 233. I'll post back here if I hear from orbframe.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:01 PM
dustinn3
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Hope you have better luck than me. I ordered mine a month ago and still don't have it yet. They said it would take about a week.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:48 PM
lazy eye
Cruiser

Orbframe said his is still running great. I might have to drop the money for it.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dustinn3
Hope you have better luck than me. I ordered mine a month ago and still don't have it yet. They said it would take about a week.
The hold up is prolly at the factory. If I had to guess. They gotta set the mileage themselves from what I understand.

I was planning on waiting two weeks, but a month? Yikes!! Just pretend you're three years old and Christmas is right around the corner.

Works for me.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:08 PM
FastGraf
Advanced

Follow up. I ordered the speedo/tach and it came in about 3 weeks later. I installed it myself - plug and play, it couldn't have been easier & took about 15 minutes.

The black face looks sharp.

It picked up and incorporates all the features the OEM speedo had: two trip meters (I use one for miles between fill-ups and the other for miles between oil changes), 6th gear light, low fuel light, low fuel count-down, clock, low oil pressure indicator, fuel injector light, everything the stock speedo had.

It also has a really cool feature: you can set the color you want it to light up at night. I'm using red now but it runs all across the color spectrum and sets the intensity, too.

The smaller sweep of two gauges instead of one has been a non-issue; looking down to see the tach isn't probably the safest thing but its an intuitive scan and the information is quickly picked up when you glance down.

Last edited by FastGraf; 11-17-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Ben.USMC
Intermediate
Default How is the Shifting

I've always wonder how accurate is the shifting recomandations from the factory. Now that you have a tach, how accurate do you consider the whole 2@ 15mph, 3@25mph...and so on? At what rpms are you shifting? Thanks ahead of time.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:07 PM
FastGraf
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ben.USMC
I've always wonder how accurate is the shifting recomandations from the factory. Now that you have a tach, how accurate do you consider the whole 2@ 15mph, 3@25mph...and so on? At what rpms are you shifting? Thanks ahead of time.
The bike "sounds" happiest between 2200 - 3500 and the oil temperatures and MPG reflect that. The factory shift numbers seem to be on the low side, shifting around 2800 whereas I usually shift around 3500 - 4000 unless I'm just tooling around. I'm no expert or "professional driver on a closed course", that RPM just seems to work well.
The rev limiter is spot on, cutting the spark as I reach 5500.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Ben.USMC
Intermediate
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info Sir.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Ben.USMC
Intermediate

Is there a reason you've stayed stock. Looks like you have and upgraded bike already, are you planing on staying that way?

Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
WoodyTJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ben.USMC
For my 2010 FXDF, with a 6 speed) the shifting recommendations in the maual was for the running in mileage only. If I am riding lazy I change up on the 10s (ie into 2nd at 20mph, 3rd at 30, etc) and downshift around the same. If I am looking for quick acceleration, ie to overtake, she still sounds fine at 55-60 in 3rd.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob combo speedometer/tach question