Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender and cig lighter adapter

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010 | 02:36 AM
HemiOrange
|
Road Warrior
Default Battery Tender and cig lighter adapter

Been using a Battery Tender Jr for years, just using the alligator clips, I rotate it between my Jeep, cars and bike all winter.

Last week I got a cig lighter attachment for it to plug into the lighter socket that's hardwired straight to the battery on my Dyna.

I came back from a long ride and plugged the Tender into the socket and waited for the red light (charging) to quickly change to green (charged), which I'm used to seeing happen almost immediately. It stayed red. Four days later of continuous charging, it still remained red. The Tender felt warm, but something didn't seem right. Why wasn't the light green by now?

I just went out and unplugged the cig lighter attachment and put on the alligator clips to the battery instead. Within 10 seconds, the Tender's light went from red to green.

Does anyone have any idea why the lighter socket charging attachment didn't seem to work? It was finicky and took some jiggling to make a connection, but when total contact wasn't made the Tender didn't light up at all. I figured that when the red light went on, that juice was making it to the battery.

If the battery was charged, why didn't the light turn green when connected through the plug?

Old 10-26-2010 | 02:46 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

Why arent you using the battery tender connection pigtail that dangles under the battery on your 07?

Using a cigarette lighter is a crappy connection at best. If the planets arent in alignment, and it isnt the 6th tuesday in the month, it wont work worth a damn.

Old 10-26-2010 | 02:48 AM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master

try turning the insert in the housing...

Last edited by fxdx-fly-by; 10-26-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-26-2010 | 02:55 AM
sbyumabaker
Cruiser

My very short answer is there is too much resistance in connection to charge properly.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m off track.

Old 10-26-2010 | 03:36 AM
spaceblue
Tourer

My guess is excessive resistance in the cig connection for what ever reason too. Try hooking up your DVOM and measuring voltage levels while the charger is connected via either method. I think that will give you a clue Hemi.

Old 10-26-2010 | 09:44 AM
huskers11
Road Master

Will the battery connection pigtail fit under the batter cover on a dyna? I had one of those on my previous bike (road king classic) but it doesn't look to me like there is room under the battery cover to install the pigtail on my dyna. I just assumed that I need to remove the battery cover and use the clips instead.

Old 10-26-2010 | 10:42 AM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior

Been using one like that on my Jeep for about a year. Works just fine. I've seen guys use them on classic cars all the time so they dont have to have wires on the battery or a non stock plug anywhere.

Old 10-26-2010 | 12:22 PM
podrieger
Intermediate

HemiOrange,
I surprised nobody knows the real answer. The reason you cannot charge thru the cigarette lighter socket is it is "dead" with the ignition turned off. The make the lighter socket work the ignition has to be turned on. You do not want to leave your ignition on and charge at the same time. (Double checked my '10 just to be sure).

Like one guy said add the charging pigtail to the battery and charge thru that. Also makes a great source for heated gear and checking battery voltage.

Hope this helps.
Phil

Old 10-26-2010 | 07:26 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by podrieger
HemiOrange,
I surprised nobody knows the real answer. The reason you cannot charge thru the cigarette lighter socket is it is "dead" with the ignition turned off. The make the lighter socket work the ignition has to be turned on. You do not want to leave your ignition on and charge at the same time. (Double checked my '10 just to be sure).

Like one guy said add the charging pigtail to the battery and charge thru that. Also makes a great source for heated gear and checking battery voltage.

Hope this helps.
Phil
That makes perfect sense. My Jeep has a 12V outlet that isnt switched.

Old 10-26-2010 | 08:23 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by podrieger
HemiOrange,

Hope this helps.
Phil
Except that it is hard wired to the battery.
CB

Quick Reply: Battery Tender and cig lighter adapter