Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender and cig lighter adapter

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010 | 08:52 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior

Your '07 comes prewired with a set of pigtails, If you have the cig lighter
wired straight to the battery, and pigtails on your tender pluged into the factory installed pigtails,
you will have no problem if your wiring is clean.
I have an '06 and have been wired this way for 3 years with no problems..

Old 10-26-2010 | 10:06 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by RonnR
Your '07 comes prewired with a set of pigtails, If you have the cig lighter
wired straight to the battery, and pigtails on your tender pluged into the factory installed pigtails,
you will have no problem if your wiring is clean.
I have an '06 and have been wired this way for 3 years with no problems..
My 07 only has a hot lead that you can directly connect an accessory adapter harness to, so I am not sure what your bike has.
If the cigar lighter is directly wired to the battery then why would you need the "pig tails", you should be able to plug the tender into the lighter with the cigar lighter adapter? The H-D tender adapter that H-D sells is wired directly to the the battery too.

I suspect too much resistance in the circuit and is causing the tender to think the battery is low.
CB

Old 10-26-2010 | 10:52 PM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master

Originally Posted by podrieger
hemiorange,
i surprised nobody knows the real answer. The reason you cannot charge thru the cigarette lighter socket is it is "dead" with the ignition turned off. The make the lighter socket work the ignition has to be turned on. You do not want to leave your ignition on and charge at the same time. (double checked my '10 just to be sure).

Like one guy said add the charging pigtail to the battery and charge thru that. Also makes a great source for heated gear and checking battery voltage.

Hope this helps.
Phil

its hard wired... No ignition routing!!!

Old 10-27-2010 | 02:26 AM
HemiOrange
|
Road Warrior
Default Problem Solved!

Thanks everyone for your help. I found the problem, much to my embarrassment. To make a long story short, the problem was the power outlet's (cig lighter's) ground wire. Instead of running it to the battery as I did the (+) wire, I ran it to a threaded brass ground under the seat. Well, the grounding bolt bottomed before tightening on the lighter's ground ring terminal, creating a very weak ground.

Old 10-27-2010 | 03:32 AM
spaceblue
Tourer

Originally Posted by podrieger
HemiOrange,
I surprised nobody knows the real answer. The reason you cannot charge thru the cigarette lighter socket is it is "dead" with the ignition turned off. The make the lighter socket work the ignition has to be turned on. You do not want to leave your ignition on and charge at the same time. (Double checked my '10 just to be sure).

Like one guy said add the charging pigtail to the battery and charge thru that. Also makes a great source for heated gear and checking battery voltage.

Hope this helps.
Phil
Wow! Good one Phil! Or maybe your Dyna came with a lighter?

Last edited by spaceblue; 10-27-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2010 | 10:31 AM
RonnR
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
My 07 only has a hot lead that you can directly connect an accessory adapter harness to, so I am not sure what your bike has. If the cigar lighter is directly wired to the battery then why would you need the "pig tails", you should be able to plug the tender into the lighter with the cigar lighter adapter? The H-D tender adapter that H-D sells is wired directly to the the battery too.

I suspect too much resistance in the circuit and is causing the tender to think the battery is low.
CB
Your bike may have been skipped on the 'pigtails', However if you look under the electrical panel, I'd almost bet you would find it. If not, I apoligize, I should have said 'A lot Harleys come prewired with pigtails'.
And your right about the cig lighter , if wired direct to battery, no reason it would'nt work fine. I didnt say he needed the pigtails. Just making a commit on how I did it..