Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

learning to drive with a new Fat Bob ... daunting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 04:41 AM
TapiroLee
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default learning to drive with a new Fat Bob ... daunting?

Hi all,

I'm now waiting for my new Fat Bob 2011 in black denim ... I really love it but I'm a bit concerned about learning with it. My life's first time ride was three weeks ago with a Ducati Monster and somehow I got very quickly in control ... the handling and turning was very easy. It felt like driving a big bicycle.

I then went to the local HD dealer to try the Fat Bob and it was like learning again but several times more difficult. I felt like driving a tank For example I couldn't turn without putting my feet on the ground ... it was sort of scary ... but I really love the Fat Bob.

Is there any advice you can give, gotchas or common wisdom to prevent any disaster with my new bike? I have still several training hours to go with an instructor but meantime I will be on my own.

Thanks in advance,
Best regards,
TapiroLee

Old 10-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been riding all sorts of bikes for years and years. Everyone I've been on has been different. Everytime I get on something different I take it easy until I get used to that particular bike. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. I don't think there are any "tricks" or whatever it's just going to take logging some miles and practice. Hope that helps some.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:54 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Confidence,not over-confidence! Naw dood once you get used to the weight and handling you will love that fatty more than anything. I was on a sporty for one month when I hopped onto the fatbob, and this after not riding for 30 years, the FB handles like a dream. Like robbie13 says go easy for a little while.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Dez Perado
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't worry! You couldn't pick two more different bikes to compare handling than a Monster and a Bob. The Bob is a cruiser that weighs about 300lbs (136kg) more that a Monster 1100S sport bike. If course they are going to handle different.

It will just take a little time in the sadddle to increase your confidence leve on the Bob.

You're going to love it!

Old 10-24-2010, 01:14 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope you never "drive" it in fact, could result in tossing you off either side. Just "ride" it... mindset is important, pay attention to your surroundings (cars & trucks and cell phone addicts). Stop and go, a lot, and get on some back roads and take it easy for several days. Only experience and a riders course will build confidence. Learn the rules of the road so you don't hurt yourself or others.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:51 PM
BareKnuckleBobber
Banned

I was in the same situation a few months ago. I had never been anything other than a dirtbike my entire life. On a whim I went to my Harley dealer on one of the ride days...Thats when I drove my first street bob...fell in love with the styling, sound, and power...however was this the right bike to purchase as my first cruiser?! I was anxious...a bit afraid of it to be honest. I took a class on basic riding skills from MSF..and we rode tiny honda rebels.....However, the skills I learned from that class helped me have confidence in accepting my driving abilities. I am by no means professional, or a veteran rider. However I have been riding my bike all over, and when I get an opportunity I find myself doing driving drills like I did in the MSF class using my own bike. Now I can do figure 8s all day long. 3000 miles of riding, two rain storms, a hail storm, and some of the best moments I have had thus far in my life. Im glad I learned to ride on a big bike....If you learn how to ride a big bike, you can ride anything else below it! So get in a class, and practice. Good luck and ride safe!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:44 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Talk to you instructor about it.
CB

Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM
rcreechssr
Advanced

Just don't ever forget about the weight of the bike. It'll get real heavy fast when you start laying it over while stopped, especially when you're backing up. Handles great, great balance. you're gonna love that Fat Bob.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:12 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

No two bikes are the same, especially when comparing a sport bike to a cruiser.

I've jumped on quite a few different models over the years (kawi zx1100, ducati 916, Heritage, goldwings, sportsters, etc). It always takes a few minutes to learn the bike you're on.

So, don't feel bad.

BTW, I hit 200mph on that zx11 the one and only time I rode it. Only time in my life I was wearing a full race-ready - armor plated leather suit. What a rush!

Old 10-25-2010, 05:50 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

I just went from a Night Train to a Street Bob and it took about 100 miles to feel as comfortable on the new bike as I felt on the old. Just go put a lot of low threat miles on it (away from heavy traffic). Your comfort level will go up. If you haven't been to a motorcycle riding course, I STRONGLY recommend it regardless what you ride.

Quick Reply: learning to drive with a new Fat Bob ... daunting?