Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

learning to drive with a new Fat Bob ... daunting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:02 AM
hoops928
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to agree with Maddghost..the last Harley I rode was an 80 Fat Bob, went 30 yrs until I bought the new Bob..it all came back ..you just need to take it easy, with some short rides, you'll get used to it quick..I'd also recommend a motorcycle saftey course..really helps with the confidence

Old 10-25-2010, 08:43 AM
JoeTag
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

The fat bob is one of the better handling bike and it will not take you long to get used to it. Just be careful and you will be loving that bike very soon.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:00 PM
btkh03
3rd Gear

The street bob is my first bike and I had the same anxiety you do. After my MSF course I rented a Honda shadow to practice on for a weekend but when I bought the Street Bob it was a new ballgame.

My advice would be to preplan a lot in your mind. Particularly when you are looking for parking. Think about the weight and how easy it will be to pull out when you're ready to leave. Are you parking on a slope? Is it leaning too far to one side? etc. Same thing when you're making sharp turns. It's easy to get going too fast and come into a turn too quick. With that heavy weight you might not be ready for it so think about the turn before you come into it.

Maybe that's something that goes away with more riding experience (I've only logged about 5k miles so far) but those things are still in my mind whenever I ride.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:30 PM
kite
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Give it gas in turns, especially at slow speeds. This will help you with control. dont put your foot down!!

Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 PM
FatBri
Advanced

you need to practice as much as possible, stick to parking lots and graduate to low traffic neighborhoods. Take your time and don't let others rush you while your learning.

The fatbob is 700+ pounds of American muscle, not the best starter bike but it can be done you just need to learn to dominate the bike and make it do what you tell it to do.

As for dropping your foot, you are likely looking down even for a slight second causing you to drop your foot, this can be dangerous and a hard habit to break. keep your head and eyes up and look through the turn, the bike must be under power in the turn, meaning you need to give it throttle, use the clutch and light REAR break to help stabilize.

take it slow and keep practicing.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:18 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBri
you need to practice as much as possible, stick to parking lots and graduate to low traffic neighborhoods. Take your time and don't let others rush you while your learning.

The fatbob is 700+ pounds of American muscle, not the best starter bike but it can be done you just need to learn to dominate the bike and make it do what you tell it to do.

As for dropping your foot, you are likely looking down even for a slight second causing you to drop your foot, this can be dangerous and a hard habit to break. keep your head and eyes up and look through the turn, the bike must be under power in the turn, meaning you need to give it throttle, use the clutch and light REAR break to help stabilize.

take it slow and keep practicing.
++++++1 Excellent advice!
CB

Old 10-27-2010, 06:50 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats on the new bike! The Fat Bob was my Harley of choice... but with a passenger, and also looking for some lite touring comfort, all the add-on's to make it so would've been expensive... so I got the Road King, still has a little bit of 'tude but with the creature comforts to keep the boss happy ;-)

However, if getting a second HD for tooling around and having fun, the Fat Bob would be my choice for sure!

As far as the FB as a starter bike... I wouldn't recommend it, but certainly can be done, if done so responsibly, smartly, and with great respect for its size (weight) and power.

After the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course here in the States, I started on a relatively heavy bike, but smaller engine (Vulcan 900 cruiser), and was fine with it. I took it easy and practiced what I learned in the course away from traffic. It certainly felt much different than the little 250's in the MSF course, but the things I learned were the same. It was a matter of getting used to the bike itself, and respecting it's greater size, weight, and power... even cruisers, can very easily and dangerously get away from you if you're not careful.

Get a lot of practice in... away from traffic, like in empty parking lots and such to get familiar with the bike, it's feel, it's weight, how it responds to your inputs, etc...

And please complete the proper instruction... it is invaluable for learning how to properly negotiate turns, curves, braking, emergency maneuvers, and probably most importantly, the avoidance of target fixation.... and the fact that where you look is exactly where you will go... don't look at where/what you want to avoid... always look where you WANT to go... please complete the class before doing any real riding.

Last edited by caberto; 10-27-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:32 PM
TapiroLee
Novice
Default wow!

Thank you all so much for the advice! I got the bike this Saturday and after couple of hours driving it, I feel like I was born on top of this monster. I love it! It is ssoooooo enjoyable! Driving a HD is a life-changing experience!!

Here couple of pics from today

Cheers,
TapiroLee

Attached Thumbnails learning to drive with a new Fat Bob ... daunting?-_dsc6042_small.jpg   learning to drive with a new Fat Bob ... daunting?-_dsc6049_small.jpg  
Old 10-31-2010, 02:36 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
No two bikes are the same, especially when comparing a sport bike to a cruiser.

I've jumped on quite a few different models over the years (kawi zx1100, ducati 916, Heritage, goldwings, sportsters, etc). It always takes a few minutes to learn the bike you're on.

So, don't feel bad.

BTW, I hit 200mph on that zx11 the one and only time I rode it. Only time in my life I was wearing a full race-ready - armor plated leather suit. What a rush!

I rarely ride at one third that speed.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Nice bike you've got there.

Quick Reply: learning to drive with a new Fat Bob ... daunting?