Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 SB cheap mods w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:13 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I would like some info on how you mounted the tag behind the primary? Thanks

Keep us posted, I love progress threads with tons of pics!

Old 10-26-2010, 05:35 PM
crapr6
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RED_5
Could you just relace your stock hub with the cross bones rim?
Yes you can but I bought the Cross Bones wheel complete on ebay and didn't want to mess with laceing a wheel..It took me a total of 30mins to mock it in the swingarm and measure and mill down the spacer...

Originally Posted by parts eeter
Just to bump for a great thread I figured some guys might be interested to know that you can buy just the rim from HD and have it laced to your hub. The spoke part numbers were almost identical with maybe an A at the end which I dunno what that designates. Considering the stock spokes from the StreetBob can be used this is a low cost alternative. The rim is about 230 bux new.

The last guy that did the crossbones wheel said he had to mill down the pulley and use a narrow belt for that Primary issue. I hope the way you are planning on milling the pulley hub gives you enough clearance as that will save the cost of a new belt,and I dont like skinny belts.

Great writeup,thanks for sharing it with us!!
I bought the Cross Bones wheel on ebay for $220 shipped..so I couldn't beat that. I was ready to shell out $420 for a entire new one at Harley..thank good I seen the one on ebay.
I know if i mill down the sprocket the belt will fit..I think if I remove .400 off the sprocket like I did the spacer for the hub it will fit perfect, but I must make sure there is enought meat to mill off .400 from the sprocket..will updat in a day or 2!

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Is the CB hub one piece or two? If it's a two piece hub, why not turn the hub down?
Excellent project!
Its one peice and you can't mill the hub since by the time you remove enought to fit it you will be cutting into the wheel bearing.

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Man I wish I had a mills and lathe just sitting around. My bike would no longer be a Dyna, it would be a Mine-a.
I can't wait to see how this setup looks. Are you planning on riding two up. I want to remove my struts so I can go with a wider tire, I just need to figure out how to support the rear fender so I can still ride two up.
Yes I always ride 2 up and will be hacking the strut but will leave just enought to support her a$$...will updata when it comes time to cut the fender and struts.

Originally Posted by JRK5892
nice work digging it all... remember you have a good amoun inside the primary to move the belt over as well
Your are 100% right, I think there is atleats a inch or more but the belt just needs to come in a little bit..probably about .400in
Originally Posted by lhgdale
I would like some info on how you mounted the tag behind the primary? Thanks
Keep us posted, I love progress threads with tons of pics!
I will get some pics tomm night..its super easy and I think it will work good. Only problem I see is to get to the kick stand may be a pain..I may have to extend it a little bit.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:46 PM
crapr6
Advanced

I did get the 200/55/17 tire mounted today but I need to spend time with the girl friend tonight, so I'll updata tomm night. I might try to sneak away to mill down the sprocket

Old 10-26-2010, 05:50 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks crapr6!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:35 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by parts eeter
Once the measurements are complete and the spacer and pulley cuts have been determined I can put you in contact with some top notch machinists that can knock down that spacer and mill the pulley for anybody thats interested in doing the wheel swap.
There lays the problem, I am a machinist. I did it for about 8years while I leved in NC. I know the ins and outs of running the equipement, I ran was the lead machinist in the R&D department for the company I worked for making robot parts. How ever, I have left that industry do to family issues and moved back to the crappy state of MD. I know work in a much bigger R&D department. My avatar will give you an idea of what I work on now. I just don't have access to the equipement I know here.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:42 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Curious George
Ok thanks for the heads up... Ill have to find out what size each axle is bc if SB axle is smaller then the super glide I don't think I'm going to mess with boring out the new wheels.

Thanks again
When I bored mine out it only took about 5 mins. Takes longer to set the wheel up then it does to cut out the material. I set the complete rim up on a mill, made sure the bore was centered on the head and used an adjustable ID cutter. I over sized the hole by about .1" because the bearings hold the axle not the through way. But I am sure you already know that much. Have fun with that Joe.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:49 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice work. I may have to look into that HF table.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:42 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

What are the advantages of going to a 200 tire?

Old 10-27-2010, 12:58 PM
crapr6
Advanced

Originally Posted by QehQeh
What are the advantages of going to a 200 tire?
Looks thats about it.. Iam not sure if it will improve the handling but once its all together i'll report back on how it handles.
Erik

Old 10-27-2010, 01:00 PM
crapr6
Advanced

I came up with removing .250 off the inside of the sprocket last night. I think with removing that it will make the belt clear the inside of the primary cover and the sprocket will clear the swingarm. If it isn't enought I can always remove more. I'll mill it down tonight and probably get it together late tonight..
Erik

Quick Reply: 2010 SB cheap mods w/pics