Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 SB cheap mods w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:18 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
Have to ask the dumb girl question. How did you paint those signals and tail light? You did a great job on them. I hope you're planning on doing the front sigs, too.
I haven't painted my sigs yet, but I have paint a few other parts on my bike. Here is what I plan on doing when I paint mine, also what I have done on the rest of the parts I have painted that were either chrome plated or had some type of metal finish.
1. I would remove and disassemble the light housings leaving only the shell to be painted.
2. Wet sand exterior surface (to a dull finish) using 300 grit wet sand paper.
3. Dry the part completely, wipe id one with a tack wipeand then clean it with lacquer thinner. This removes and oils or contaminants that might be on te surface that could damage the pain job.
4. If the part is metal and not plastic, I would apply a few coats of "self ecthing primer", dry and repeat step 2 lightly and then step 3. If part is plastic then I would skip this step.
5. Apply a light coat (dusting, not a complete coat, this will help prevent runs from over spraying the part) of desired color, letting color dry to a tacky coating but not 100% dry, then apply another coat, after 2-3 coats part should be 100% covered by color, if not apply a 4th, but you shouldn't need to if you sprayed the color evenly and not to heavy.
6. Let dry completly so there will not be any damage done while handling carefully.

Hope this was helpful and not to overboard.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:04 PM
crapr6
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vinsil
I've been wanting that table for a while, did you wait for the coupons? I thought about just building my own wheel chock but that one looks pretty decent, what was the price if you don't mind me asking?.
Looking forward to the CB wheel mod, my pops is wanting a 200mm on his WG and I mentioned hearing that people are using those take off wheels to do it, be interesting to see what you need to do it. Thanks for sharing.
Poof here you go, print it out and go buy the table and front tire stand man, best deal ever!
Table and stand was $328 plus tax! This was after the 20% discount
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...mages/20_c.jpg

Originally Posted by 07bobber
i want info on the crossbones wheel is it bolt on or do you need spacers?
Iam going to start tonight on doing the wheel mock up so i'll down load some pics tonight.

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
Have to ask the dumb girl question. How did you paint those signals and tail light? You did a great job on them. I hope you're planning on doing the front sigs, too.
All I did was pop the red lens off and remove the buld, tape off the inside area of the blinks. The brake light lens dosn't come off so I took my time taping off the red lens. Then just scuffed up the blink and brake light housing with 400 grit, degreased with grease remover. Then just did 3 coats using some gloss black spray paint nothing special and then let it dry for 24 hours.

Last edited by crapr6; 10-25-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
crapr6
Advanced

Update,
Well there goes putting off the install of the Cross Bones rim. I mocked up the rim only tonight to get the spacers milled down to the correct thickness and get the rim centered in the swingarm/fender. I knew that I was only going to mill down the spacer on the belt side since you do not want to remove anything from the brake caliper side. The reason you do not want to remove anything from the brake caliper side spacer is the rotor will be pulled closer to the brake caliper bracket and will not be centered in it.

This is the stock rim with the stock spacers...

Here I measured out .400 to mill off the spacer for the belt sprocket side.

Spacer installed..

The rim is now centered in the fender..

Only issue is with the rim being centered in the fender the sprocket is now to close to the swing arm and the belt is against the inner primary cover..

I will most likely mill down the sprocket now on the inside edge where it sits flat against the rim's hub. Iam not doing this until I have a tire mounted and know how much I can mill off the sprocket with out the sprocket getting to close to the tire.

Iam going to grab a tire and tube tomm and install them and if I have time i'll mount the rim/tire up in the bike to see how much I can remove from the sprocket...
Erik

Last edited by crapr6; 10-26-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:28 PM
RED_5
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Could you just relace your stock hub with the cross bones rim?

Last edited by RED_5; 10-26-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: words
Old 10-26-2010, 12:38 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to bump for a great thread I figured some guys might be interested to know that you can buy just the rim from HD and have it laced to your hub. The spoke part numbers were almost identical with maybe an A at the end which I dunno what that designates. Considering the stock spokes from the StreetBob can be used this is a low cost alternative. The rim is about 230 bux new.

The last guy that did the crossbones wheel said he had to mill down the pulley and use a narrow belt for that Primary issue. I hope the way you are planning on milling the pulley hub gives you enough clearance as that will save the cost of a new belt,and I dont like skinny belts.

Great writeup,thanks for sharing it with us!!

Old 10-26-2010, 12:57 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the CB hub one piece or two? If it's a two piece hub, why not turn the hub down?

Excellent project!

Old 10-26-2010, 01:00 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Man I wish I had a mills and lathe just sitting around. My bike would no longer be a Dyna, it would be a Mine-a.
I can't wait to see how this setup looks. Are you planning on riding two up. I want to remove my struts so I can go with a wider tire, I just need to figure out how to support the rear fender so I can still ride two up.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 PM
Curious George
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 952dave
Your bike has different size axels than his bike so the wheels wouldnt work on your bike without changing the bearings.
Ok thanks for the heads up... Ill have to find out what size each axle is bc if SB axle is smaller then the super glide I don't think I'm going to mess with boring out the new wheels.

Thanks again

Old 10-26-2010, 01:15 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

nice work digging it all... remember you have a good amoun inside the primary to move the belt over as well

Old 10-26-2010, 02:33 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Man I wish I had a mills and lathe just sitting around. My bike would no longer be a Dyna, it would be a Mine-a.
I can't wait to see how this setup looks. Are you planning on riding two up. I want to remove my struts so I can go with a wider tire, I just need to figure out how to support the rear fender so I can still ride two up.
Once the measurements are complete and the spacer and pulley cuts have been determined I can put you in contact with some top notch machinists that can knock down that spacer and mill the pulley for anybody thats interested in doing the wheel swap.

Quick Reply: 2010 SB cheap mods w/pics