Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bike got ran over

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 11:39 PM
wyazel1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My bike got ran over

This is my 1st post ever, I have been lurking for several months. I just bought my 1st Harley a couple months ago. Its a 1998 FXDWG 21k miles with just about every little chrome goodie you can get. Pristine bike.

Wife and I came out of my nephews youth football game today and find my bike had been run over. Yep some ******** ran over my bike and took off!! Ripped the face shield off my wifes brand new helmet and scratched the hell outta my helmet. Scratched the pipes, bent the bars, bent both forward controls, kickstand is bent, both levers bent, passenger peg bent, primary cover scratched, the front end appears to be cocked to one side but its hard to tell with the bent bars. The list goes on and on. I'd guess $3-4K minimum to get all this fixed at the HD dealer and book value on the bike is only around 5k.

I filed a police report and I was actually able to track this guy down thru some of the youth football people and a description of the vehicle by a witness. He has full coverage through Shelter Insurance.

Do you think they will fix my bike back to the way it was? Or do you think I will get a huge headache and run around? Will they replace the aftermarket parts that were damaged? This is my first harley and i love the bike I am sickened by what happened. Just venting and I am also curious what I should expect trying to get a bike fixed through insurance.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Kramer
Cruiser

I can't say I have ever been in your situation but I remember when I first laid my first Harley down in 2001. I took it to the Harley dealer to be fixed and i would recommend you insist the same. They took time to feel every edge and thoroughly inspect me bike (assuming b/c they wanted all the work possible). Even though I had to pay I was glad they took the time to make sure everything was right.

Good Luck

Old 10-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's funny (well not funny) but I just got done reading your post on Pirate.......

That really sucks man. Hopefully, they won't total the bike out. Parts add up quick, keep your fingers crossed.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:00 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Around here that guy would do jail time for hit and run. You're the victim in this, I'd press the insurance company to fix it and what they won't cover the *** hat the hit and ran can cover the rest. What was his reason for not finding the owner of the bike he creamed?

Old 10-24-2010, 12:05 AM
wyazel1
6th Gear

He says he didnt realize he did any damage. Thats seriously what he told me when I called him on the phone tonight.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:07 AM
wyazel1
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Vinsil
That's funny (well not funny) but I just got done reading your post on Pirate.......

That really sucks man. Hopefully, they won't total the bike out. Parts add up quick, keep your fingers crossed.

Yea, I wasnt getting the sympathy I needed on Pirate lol. So if they say its totaled do I just get a check for book value? Then where does the bike go?

Old 10-24-2010, 12:11 AM
C-Cat
Tourer

you can buy it back form the insurance company. my good friend totaled his 2001 v-rod. he had the choice of i believe $7900 or $4300 and the bike.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by wyazel1
He says he didnt realize he did any damage. Thats seriously what he told me when I called him on the phone tonight.
Man what the Hell kind of an answer is that...That sucks big time..as I have never dealt with an insurance company Stay on them,him or who ever to make sure it is all done right..

Old 10-24-2010, 12:49 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If that's the way he said it, it sounds like he realized he hit it. The world's full of dumb asses, too bad you had to meet this on the way you did.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:09 AM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, I wasnt getting the sympathy I needed on Pirate lol. So if they say its totaled do I just get a check for book value? Then where does the bike go?

Yeah, I love my bike and understand the need for a shoulder to lean on right now.

Your question was answered above, you can buy it back if they do total it (the title will be branded, but not a big deal if your keeping the bike forever basically) and you can fix it yourself for less than a shop would.

Good luck, just be sure to not take the first deal the insurance gives, they usually low ball you........

Quick Reply: My bike got ran over