Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bike got ran over

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:56 PM
DYJ
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wyazel1
Yea, I wasnt getting the sympathy I needed on Pirate lol. So if they say its totaled do I just get a check for book value? Then where does the bike go?
You just said sympathy and pirate all in the same sentence! LOL.... thats funny chit

I manage a body shop and deal with automotive collision, insurance companies, and adjusters everyday. And by the sounds of it, Grendal is in the bizz somewhere too. I would suggest the same as him. Reprt it to his insurance and listen to what they tell ya to do. Don't be a dick and try to get more than what you got comming, insurance adjusters will make you life hell as much as they can if they feel your tryin to crew em. I'd also take it to the dealer for repairs...

Old 10-25-2010, 08:01 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Send your bike to the dealer for an oil change, new tires and new bars. That alone should exceed the value on the bike, so it's totaled. Thank God you were not on it, and go find another that you fall in love with.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:36 PM
NuTTSaK
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you get your bike fixed I'd say a ski mask and pipe should fix the rest.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 PM
Mk1Racer
Road Master

Originally Posted by Grendel4

I would guess that the reason the guy left the scene is -- He was probably drinking. If it was me, and I was pretty sure I'd spend the night in Jail if a Cop showed up, I would have left a note with my phone number on it, and wrote, "I tried to find you" and hauled *** to the house. Down here anymore, you're lucky if the Cops show up in an hour if nobody's hurt. And if it's not slowing traffic they might not show up at all.

I'd say this guy just paniced and didn't think to leave a note. He was more scared about spending the night in jail. Even if you leave a note, the Cops can still cite you for leaving the scene, but it usually won't stick.

In fact, I'd say the guy wasn't a very sophisticated thinker for a 'scum bag' (which I don't think he is). I think he just paniced and ran away. His, "I didn't think I did any damage" is about as lame an excuse as can be.
NJ is a no fault state.

Here, the cops HAVE to show up to a 911 call.

I agree, the guy probably panicked. But I don't think it was because he was afraid of the cops, I think it was because he was afraid of a beat down for running over some guy's Harley.

I also agree that he's not a very sophisticated thinker to think that nobody would see or recognize him. He is a scum bag however. And his "I didn't think I did any damage." excuse just reinforces that. From the OP's description of the damage, it's not just a case of bumping the bike and knocking it over, but it sounds like the guy really did run over the bike.

You sure seem to want to give this guy all kinds of benefit of the doubt. If he was that loaded that he didn't realize that he ran the OP's bike over, I sure wouldn't want him out on the road. I wonder if it was your kid that he backed over and just took off, instead of someone else's bike, if you'd be so inclined to 'just let the insurance company handle it'?

This guy needs to not only pay to make the OP's bike whole, he needs to learn an object lesson as to why he shouldn't be a scum bag.

Still haven't heard from the OP if the guy got a ticket for leaving the scene.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:02 PM
wyazel1
6th Gear

I'm not sure if the cops gave him a ticket or not. They have his info so I sure as hell hope they gave him a ticket.

His insurance is being very cooperative. They valued my bike at $6121. As long as the estimate from hd doesnt exceed 80% of the value($4896) then he will issue me a check for the amount of the estimate. My bike is at the hd dealer now getting an estimate. Dealer says he'll call with estimate by noon tomorrow. I'm definitely getting new bars, fwd controls and pipes dealer installed out of this ordeal.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I wouldn't do any running around at all. Just turn it in to your own Insurance Company and let them worry about it. If you're thinking, "I don't want my Insurance Company to know about it." Forget it, if the Cops took your Drivers License on the Police Report, they already know about it. Believe it. It's on your MVR. Probably. Can't be 100% about your State, but in my State they list ALL 'incidents' whether they're at-fault or not-at-fault. Besides, Ins Co's have been sharing information for decades now. If you're on their computer, you're on everybody's computer. Probably.

Your Insurance Company will subrogate against his Insurance Company and get their money back. No big deal. You'll be out your deductible until they settle. Usually not a big deal..... For many people.

What really pisses Insurance Companies off is when one of their Policyholders comes to them three months after an accident and starts complaining about how they were in a not-at-fault accident and now the at-fault driver's Insurance Company is giving them a hard time or.. Whatever.

Then your Insurance Company has to play catch up. The at fault driver's story has changed about five times, records are lost or missing, time has passed, the Cops have lost interest, witnesses have forgotten the event or worse, their story changes and the other Insurance Co sez, "See, that ain't right. We told you so!!", your Claims Adjuster is trying to play catch-up. It's just bad news.

I'm not telling the OP what to do. But I can guarandamtee you that's what I would do. That other Ins Co might try to bully you but they ain't gonna bully another Ins Co. Your Ins Co would just laugh at them. And then clean their clocks.

I've seen, too many times, where a Policy Holder thinks he's doing the 'right thing' by not reporting an incident to his/her own Ins Co and sometimes, it can turn out to be really bad for them.
+2 Good advice here...let the professionals beat them up. It is what you pay for.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:27 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure if the cops gave him a ticket or not. They have his info so I sure as hell hope they gave him a ticket.

His insurance is being very cooperative. They valued my bike at $6121. As long as the estimate from hd doesnt exceed 80% of the value($4896) then he will issue me a check for the amount of the estimate. My bike is at the hd dealer now getting an estimate. Dealer says he'll call with estimate by noon tomorrow. I'm definitely getting new bars, fwd controls and pipes dealer installed out of this ordeal.
So where exactly did they pull the number 6121.00 out of, their ***? Are you into the bike by this amount?
You need to tell them they need to fix your bike or replace it with one just like it. You should find some bikes like yours for sale and see what they are asking and add your mods. I would have never accepted any value they threw at me and told them so!
CB

Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
So where exactly did they pull the number 6121.00 out of, their ***? Are you into the bike by this amount?
You need to tell them they need to fix your bike or replace it with one just like it. You should find some bikes like yours for sale and see what they are asking and add your mods. I would have never accepted any value they threw at me and told them so!
CB
If the man feels that's a fair settlement then he should consider accepting it. If he doesn't, then he should submit hard evidence as to why he believes it isn't.

Many times, when a good Insurance Company makes an offer, they're serious as dogs copulating. They ain't playing.

Not always. Sometimes, some Companies will 'low ball' you. But you gotta be careful.

You start playing silly-assed, "I'm F Lee Bailey" games with an Insurance Company and they'll kick your butt from here to the North Pole just to make a point.

Remember, they got lawyers sitting around picking their noses. Do you? And then there's always the possibility of a legal 'technical loss' if a Court hands down a judgement of less than what they originally offered. I don't completely understand all that, but I know it's bad. Real bad.

What I'm saying is real simple. If the man thinks it's a fair offer, take it. If he doesn't, then nicely, professionally and politely present some hard evidence as to why it should be more. If they're being butt-heads, you can go to war any time. Wars, however, can be expensive regardless of who wins or loses.

I live in Florida, which is a 'non joinder' State so my opinion may not be of any great use.

Just, be cool. Be sure of your ground. Take your time, think things through. If you think they're trying to screw you, fight for your rights. If you think they're being fair?

Your call.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

If the man feels that's a fair settlement then he should consider accepting it. If he doesn't, then he should submit hard evidence as to why he believes it isn't.

Many times, when a good Insurance Company makes an offer, they're serious as dogs copulating. They ain't playing.

Not always. Sometimes, some Companies will 'low ball' you. But you gotta be careful.

You start playing silly-assed, "I'm F Lee Bailey" games with an Insurance Company and they'll kick your butt from here to the North Pole just to make a point.

Remember, they got lawyers sitting around picking their noses. Do you? And then there's always the possibility of a legal 'technical loss' if a Court hands down a judgement of less than what they originally offered. I don't completely understand all that, but I know it's bad. Real bad.

What I'm saying is real simple. If the man thinks it's a fair offer, take it. If he doesn't, then nicely, professionally and politely present some hard evidence as to why it should be more. If they're being butt-heads, you can go to war any time. Wars, however, can be expensive regardless of who wins or loses.

I live in Florida, which is a 'non joinder' State so my opinion may not be of any great use.

Just, be cool. Be sure of your ground. Take your time, think things through. If you think they're trying to screw you, fight for your rights. If you think they're being fair?

Your call.
There is no expert when it comes to vehicular insurance no matter how much anyone claims or tries to sound. It makes me laugh when I read where someone actually attempts this. You give good advice, generally speaking. And you mention that because of your state of residence your advice might not be right. That is correct. Every state is different in the way they regulate insurance companies writing policies within their boundaries. But in the same light, every insurance company is different too. I have seen them actually go beyond the norm in taking care of a claim in the amount they will pay out. Sometimes with certain ones of the more reputable companies they really do not want to get into a big broohaha if they can avoid it, so if the difference is minimal and can be justified, they may relent. Actually it seems to depend on the adjuster most of the time. So its a crap shoot. But remember anytime you 'get one over' on an insurance company, we all end up paying in the long run. Wyazel1, I wouldn't hesitate to compare what they are offering to what other comparable bikes in your region are selling for, and if their offer is too low, I would tell them. If its a fair settlement, then go for it. You have to live with yourself, not with any of these other's offering opinions.

Good Luck

Old 10-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Mk1Racer
Road Master

It should be somewhere in the police report if they issued him a summons. Also, check your local newspaper, that's the kind of thing that usually shows up in the 'police blotter'. They valued your bike at $6121 (I'm also skeptical about where that number came from), but what about the two helmets and any other accessories (need to check your initial post again) that were trashed?

Quick Reply: My bike got ran over