Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bike got ran over

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:30 AM
redmonster13
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this sounds a bit brutish but to be honest I would tell the insurance company Iwanted the bike back after the totaled payout then I would go to the gentlemans house and give him the option to pay the remainder or I would beat it out of him. I know this sounds like an internet rambo response but it isnt, done time before for a lot less. Some inconsiderate jackass runs my bike over I would be tempted to beat him nearly to death. I guess I am a bit hot tempered and probably take things a bit to personally, but over the years it has worked out for me other than the occasional trip to the clink. Fortunatly they have all been misdemeanors.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Garcou
Club Member

Hit and run douche bag!

Old 10-24-2010, 02:13 AM
Vinsil
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redmonster13
I know this sounds a bit brutish but to be honest I would tell the insurance company Iwanted the bike back after the totaled payout then I would go to the gentlemans house and give him the option to pay the remainder or I would beat it out of him. I know this sounds like an internet rambo response but it isnt, done time before for a lot less. Some inconsiderate jackass runs my bike over I would be tempted to beat him nearly to death. I guess I am a bit hot tempered and probably take things a bit to personally, but over the years it has worked out for me other than the occasional trip to the clink. Fortunatly they have all been misdemeanors.

Then you haven't done real time either. You haven't spent time in a real prison for a felony...jail is day care.

Don't get thrown in prison over a bike.......it's not worth it. Even if the guy ****ed you over by being a bitch......it's not worth years of your life to beat a person for 20 seconds.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:37 AM
navy32man
2nd Gear

Dude, That's sucks!
He may have left because he thought some biker was going to open a can of whip ***, still that's no excuse.
I hope you can get the insurance company to fix it the way it was. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:20 AM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

did it have a grimlin bell? doesnt sound like it

Old 10-24-2010, 03:46 AM
treadstone
Cruiser

Again, that's sucks man and that is surely BS from the driver...so he's saying he could have very well run a person over and not had a clue? Press his insurance Co. hard for every dime of what the bike is worth..upgrades included. If its a decent policy at all he'll have tens of thousands available to pay out for an at fault accident. Just sayin...don't get low balled. Also, take a deep breath and be prepared for the journey ahead with adjusters, agents, HD etc. It can be a pain, but get what you feel is right from all of the above.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, the sucky thing about it is you are the victim and now you have to do all the running around to try and get this fixed.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Kev_England
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sue him.

Originally Posted by redmonster13
I would agree with the first half of this--approaching the guy face to face is gonna show him you mean business. But, instead of beating him up I would hand him an estimate of the cost to fix the bike and a calculation of how much the cost is short from the insurance pay off. I'd ask him to pay the difference or i will be "forced" to take legal action.

Give him two weeks to pay up and if he doesnt then file a small claim suit on him. Only costs about $100 in most counties including a very nice option to have the Sheriff serve him. Most counties allow small claims up to $5k. Any judge would immediately side with you, seeing that he drove off. My guess is he will pay up as soon as he sees the suit papers.

Good luck mate. Let us know how it goes.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbie13
Yeah, the sucky thing about it is you are the victim and now you have to do all the running around to try and get this fixed.
I wouldn't do any running around at all. Just turn it in to your own Insurance Company and let them worry about it. If you're thinking, "I don't want my Insurance Company to know about it." Forget it, if the Cops took your Drivers License on the Police Report, they already know about it. Believe it. It's on your MVR. Probably. Can't be 100% about your State, but in my State they list ALL 'incidents' whether they're at-fault or not-at-fault. Besides, Ins Co's have been sharing information for decades now. If you're on their computer, you're on everybody's computer. Probably.

Your Insurance Company will subrogate against his Insurance Company and get their money back. No big deal. You'll be out your deductible until they settle. Usually not a big deal..... For many people.

What really pisses Insurance Companies off is when one of their Policyholders comes to them three months after an accident and starts complaining about how they were in a not-at-fault accident and now the at-fault driver's Insurance Company is giving them a hard time or.. Whatever.

Then your Insurance Company has to play catch up. The at fault driver's story has changed about five times, records are lost or missing, time has passed, the Cops have lost interest, witnesses have forgotten the event or worse, their story changes and the other Insurance Co sez, "See, that ain't right. We told you so!!", your Claims Adjuster is trying to play catch-up. It's just bad news.

I'm not telling the OP what to do. But I can guarandamtee you that's what I would do. That other Ins Co might try to bully you but they ain't gonna bully another Ins Co. Your Ins Co would just laugh at them. And then clean their clocks.

I've seen, too many times, where a Policy Holder thinks he's doing the 'right thing' by not reporting an incident to his/her own Ins Co and sometimes, it can turn out to be really bad for them.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Kev_England
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grendel4
I wouldn't do any running around at all. Just turn it in to your own Insurance Company and let them worry about it. ...
Yeah, I learned this the hard way. Works the same way in England: I got run over by a car--luckily I got thrown clear off the bike. But, he ran over my bike and took it 20 feet up the road before stopping. I was laid up in bed for weeks and didnt contact my insurance company. Then I get a letter from HIS insurance company claiming damages from me for the underside of his car!!!

Quick Reply: My bike got ran over