Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 02:50 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks ...

... really wish I would have just gone this route to begin with ... oh well ...

... like the additional room over the size of the shovelhead bags, too ...

Attached Thumbnails Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0621-1-.jpg   Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0614-1-.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 03:15 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I know what you went through. Had bought vintage tour-pak, RK police bags and Street Glide fender and fillers for my Dyna.

But now I'm going to hard-backed leather Moco bags and the modified tour-pak on a Sporty. Photos show how I let-in the fender, seat and license plate, in order to achieve an ultra-low profile and compact luggage rack/mount, shown prior to welding.

Attached Thumbnails Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-sport-40.jpg   Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-sport-39.jpg   Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-sport-38.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 04:15 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Hey Chop, can you do me a favor…stop already, your making me jealous!!! But really, can you tell me the diameter of the tube/bar used to support the bags. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:23 PM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Chop,
Man those look great. They take your bike to a whole new level of cool!
Bob

Old 04-07-2013, 04:43 PM
HYPR
Road Master

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Here is my plan. Although I really like the setup that Cycle Visions has, I am not that rich.

So I plan on cutting a piece of 1" or 1.25" or 1.5" x .25" x 15" aluminuim 6160 flat stock (weight reduction and strength) to use mount the bags. The bags will be bolted to the flat stock using the bags holes that are 13" apart and I will either make it a perminate part on the bike by bolting the flat stock to the orginal strut/fender mount points (10" apart) or mount the Cycle Vision bareback at this point so when the bag and support are removed the bike looks like it does now. The fender I plan on using will have a similar setup using a bag to bag support under the tail of the fender. I will have round aluminum stock welded together to make the bag support under the bag and like the Cycle Visions setup, I will have a plate under the seat to mount the front of the bar to, again I will try to also make this a detach point if possible.

Here are some pics of my ideas. I am hoping to get this completed before Aug, so I can have some bags on the bike when I head out to Milwaukee.

The bags

The Fender

The flat stock, holes are reference only will be adjusted to get bags to sit right.

The bracket, made to carry the bags behind the shock.

You've got a good design. I would add a cross brace by welding a bolt to the inside lower section of your fender the take a piece of .5" x .125" flat stock bent to a curve to fit the inside of the fender the drill a hole to bolt it to the inside of the fender then attach it to the brackets.
Bob

Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM
HYPR
Road Master

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
I just got the cross-brace support installed today ...

I had taken a stab at it a couple of weeks ago ... adapting the cross-brace from my old bag frame ... the angle brackets I had fabricated for the setup cracked from the vibration ... so, it was back to the drawing board ...

I had cut off the tabs on the frame designed to support the cross-brace ... they are placed for the short Super Glide fender ... so, they wouldn't work with my setup ...

I made some kind of isoceles triangle-shaped tabs to mount at the bottom of the frame so the cross-brace would be at the lower edge of my fender ...

I think this is going to work well ... it is really solid ...

Chop,
That's pretty much identical to what I did for the Street Glide rear fender I installed. The only difference is I added 1.25" spacer to the inside frame bolt to clear the fender.
Bob

Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

So I think I came up with a way to make the support bracket (mostly) detachable. I am going to be ordering some use bottoms soon and then I will be able to start bending some 3/4" tubing to make the support bracket. I plan on having a 1/8" flat bar that bolts up between the strut and bender (replacing the washer that is currently there. I will then have a tube that is the same length welded to this flat bar so the tube runs under the strut bar (almost flush). On the back end of the tube I will have the male part of the cycle visions bareback mounted. Then the female part will be mounted to another section of tube, this tube will be bent to support the bag so that it provides just enough clearence between the bag and the detachable hardware use to mount my sissybar to allow the bags to opening with the sissybar on. The support brace will then be bent to run in front of the shock and come out at the down tubes located behind both the battery box and the electrical box. There it will mount to a three piece clamp or something similar with another bareback mounting point. When the bags are remove, the support brace from bareback to bareback can also be removed and the only thing left behind would be the support bar mounted under the strut (reason for it being close to flush is so it blends in with the bike and the also the clamp on the downtube of the frame will be left behind. I could even make the brace from left side to right side also detachable, but I am not sure about that part yet and will figure it out when I get the rest finished first. Not that I dont like the CV setup, I just cant afford it, the tube will run me around $15 and but the time I get it all bent and the barebacks installed and powdered, I might be around $150-$175 total maybe $200, which is still have the cost of the CV setup, plus it will be mostly detachable. Hopefully I will have this done before July.

Here is a pick of what I am thinking.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:50 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mike (blueangel73):

Here are some pics of my Cycle Vision bags so you can see the cut-out for the shock ... hope these help ...

The shape of the trapezoid is deeper at the top of the bag (away from the strut) and shallower at the bottom ... but, it is shallower at the top of the bag (facing front) and deeper at the bottom ... (hope you can make sense of that while examining the photos) ...

R/
'Chop

Attached Thumbnails Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0643.jpg   Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0644.jpg   Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0645.jpg   Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0646.jpg  
Old 04-25-2013, 07:46 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Thanks Chop, not only does that help me understand what I need to do for the shock space on the bags, it also give me a better understanding if how they mount. I did not know they were not using the original mounting holes.

I am planning on making a cast of the stock shock dip on the bag and using the cast to form the fiber glass when I reshape the front corner. I also plan on filling the stock holes (if they are inconvenient for mounting) and making new mounting holes. Then I plan on removing the stock shock dip and making it flat to open up the bags on the inside (more storage space). If I am discipline while doing this, I will take tons of picks and do a step by step of the job. I can not wait to start this project, hope the bags show up tomorrow so I can get to work.

Thanks again Chop.