Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Treyh72012
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
A few photos of my bike ... dressed ...

How dose it look next to a street glide can you tell a difference thinking of doing it to my street bob but don't want it to be super noticeable thanks

Old 03-22-2013, 10:06 AM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I was hoping you'd get those Shovel bags figured out. They fit the theme of the bike. But the new style bags will be more convenient. I've been thinking the Cyclevisions brackets and newer bags would look good on my next update to my '80 FLH. That won't be for another year or two. Ideas are a rollin' around in my head. Gotta get the Dyna finished first. It's been on hold for too long.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:42 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Hey Chop, are your bags detachable or did you make them permanent? I am looking at some bags for a good price and I am debating if I want to make the permanent or detachable, mostly I want them close to my struts to make them look like they are supposed to be there and not just an add-on.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Treyh72012
How dose it look next to a street glide can you tell a difference thinking of doing it to my street bob but don't want it to be super noticeable thanks
I think it looks good next to a Street Glide ... it bears a resemblance due to the bat wing and hard bags, however, there are numerous clues that it is not a Street Glide to those familiar with the different models ...

There are quite a few differences between my bike and a Street Bob ... so, if you were interested in replicating what I have done, just know that you've got your work cut out, so to speak ...

Originally Posted by U-234
I was hoping you'd get those Shovel bags figured out. They fit the theme of the bike. But the new style bags will be more convenient. I've been thinking the Cyclevisions brackets and newer bags would look good on my next update to my '80 FLH. That won't be for another year or two. Ideas are a rollin' around in my head. Gotta get the Dyna finished first. It's been on hold for too long.
I like the Shovel bags ... and, as you put it, the way they fit the theme of my bike ... but, having gotten the new bags almost all together, now ... I am much happier now that I've made the switch ...

Originally Posted by blueangel73
Hey Chop, are your bags detachable or did you make them permanent? I am looking at some bags for a good price and I am debating if I want to make the permanent or detachable, mostly I want them close to my struts to make them look like they are supposed to be there and not just an add-on.
The new setup is pretty much just as 'detachable' as the old setup ... remove the four nuts on the fender struts and the entire frame comes off ... it is a fairly quick process--but, not exactly 'quick detach' QD ...

Cycle Vision has a product BareBacks ... but, I'm not sure it would work with this setup (it might) ... they are a set of bolts the heads of which have spring-loaded recepticles to receive one another ... I am thinking one side could be mounted on the struts and the other side mounted to the saddlebag frame/bracket to truly make the system 'quick detach' ... but, CV is pretty proud of the BareBacks and it would add a layer of expense that in my situation I cannot justify ...

I believe the BareBacks setup can be used with pretty much any saddlebag setup ...

R/
'Chop

Old 03-22-2013, 02:49 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Is it possible to see a picture of the frame you use to hang the bags? I am wondering if the stock hardbags on a current tourer would be strong enough to support some basic travel weight if there isn't a support bar ran under the bag. Could I make a bracket that mounts to my strut bolts and the bag mounts to the braket (1.5" x .25" flat stock) be enough to support the bag or should I add support to the strut side of the bag down to the bottom of the bag?

Old 03-22-2013, 05:14 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

This is what my old brackets look like ...

I had subsequently welded the brackets and powdercoated them black ... but, same concept ...

The new setup I am in the process of converting to is the CycleVision Dyna Bagger Tail ... looks like this ...

I cut off the crossbrace tab and am fabricating a different solution, since my fender is not a standard Dyna fender ...

Several people have done both old type and new type bags using other types of support ...

Trip20, for example, did the new bags on his Wide Glide using quick detach brackets (easy brackets or something)

JRK5892, for example, has done the old bags on his Street Bob using similar QD hardware ...

(I think he did a dump of his photos since a lot of his photos are gone ... but, on one thread I saw he said he used "Edge Brackets")

R/
'Chop

Old 03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Here is my plan. Although I really like the setup that Cycle Visions has, I am not that rich.

So I plan on cutting a piece of 1" or 1.25" or 1.5" x .25" x 15" aluminuim 6160 flat stock (weight reduction and strength) to use mount the bags. The bags will be bolted to the flat stock using the bags holes that are 13" apart and I will either make it a perminate part on the bike by bolting the flat stock to the orginal strut/fender mount points (10" apart) or mount the Cycle Vision bareback at this point so when the bag and support are removed the bike looks like it does now. The fender I plan on using will have a similar setup using a bag to bag support under the tail of the fender. I will have round aluminum stock welded together to make the bag support under the bag and like the Cycle Visions setup, I will have a plate under the seat to mount the front of the bar to, again I will try to also make this a detach point if possible.

Here are some pics of my ideas. I am hoping to get this completed before Aug, so I can have some bags on the bike when I head out to Milwaukee.

The bags

The Fender

The flat stock, holes are reference only will be adjusted to get bags to sit right.

The bracket, made to carry the bags behind the shock.

Last edited by blueangel73; 03-23-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:34 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To that I would add a (removable?) bar that joins both sides, behind the tire, and is hidden by the fender.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:20 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lo-rider
To that I would add a (removable?) bar that joins both sides, behind the tire, and is hidden by the fender.
Yea, I mentioned that part in my description, I guess I wasn't clear enough, sorry about that. " The fender I plan on using will have a similar setup using a bag to bag support under the tail of the fender."

Old 03-26-2013, 08:01 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Color match on the bags didn't turn out quite as close as I was hoping ... oh well ... guess I'll be painting my tins in the next year or two or three ...

Bags are not quite done ... I still have to deal with the cross support ... but, the frames are so sturdy I didn't think it would hurt to tool around town with them for a few days until I can get to it ...

I got the lid gaskets and locks ... so the bags themselves are fully assembled and attached the way they will run ...

I can see right now that saddlebag extensions will be called for ... in due course ...

R
'Chop

Quick Reply: Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully