Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 04:10 AM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, love the work! This should look slick when it is all done.
Can't wait to see the finished project. How well do the bags stay firm in one place without bending inward under load? My present Cavalry's sag so bad that they contact the axle often so they are going bye-bye this winter for a set of the Cyclevision's. I just have way too many other project in the fire to mod a set up to fit. As it is cutting in the SG rear fender, frenching in the license plate and tail lights along with fabrication a rear brace are in the works. I also hope to squeze in flaming the Black Denim with some Blue flames on the Faring, tank, fender, and bags. Just so I don't get bored some engine work for good measure.
Bob

Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the kind words Bob ...

Photos below pretty well illustrate the existing bracket setup ... which I am happy with ...

The cross-brace keep the bags pretty stable and from collapsing inward ...

The first couple of photos also illustrate one of the key reasons I am undertaking the project ... you can see the lid on the left rests to the outer side and allows a gap ... the lids wear and 'fall' to the side when it is on the stand and the gap opens up and allows precipitation to moisten the interior of the bags ...

Attached Thumbnails Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0239.jpg   Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0237.jpg   Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0238.jpg  
Old 10-14-2012, 11:01 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

I finally forgot to close one of my saddlebag lids and had it fly off last month. Luckily the manufacturer added a strap that will barely let it hit the ground. Hinges and latches would be nice, maybe if I put a hinge in the back?..............I have to stop thinking like this. I put my bikes away already for the winter (North Dakota) and promised my wife a basement remodel this winter. In exchange I can buy a Shovelhead (or Panhead) FLH to add to the harem.

Like SURFOR Chop, I connected the bottom of each saddlebag bracket to each other. In my case through the fender. You could sit a woman on each bag and they will not sag inward. ( I also posted this picture to encourage SURFOR Chop to get working on dual exhaust!)

Old 10-14-2012, 08:09 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I love seeing great minds at work.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:40 AM
HYPR
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Thanks for the kind words Bob ...

Photos below pretty well illustrate the existing bracket setup ... which I am happy with ...

The cross-brace keep the bags pretty stable and from collapsing inward ...

The first couple of photos also illustrate one of the key reasons I am undertaking the project ... you can see the lid on the left rests to the outer side and allows a gap ... the lids wear and 'fall' to the side when it is on the stand and the gap opens up and allows precipitation to moisten the interior of the bags ...
Got it, now I see the cross bracket. Don't know why I missed it all the other times I have seen your photos. Yep that's the problem with my current set up which is why the planned change.
Today I worked on my buddy's hardtail Chopper which has a RevTech 110...not imperessed. Handles like Crap, doesn't steer, and pukes oil all over you! Not pleased because I could have been out riding my FB instead!
Bob

Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

looks fantastic!!!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:18 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Finally seeing some progress now that I've got some free time and the painter got me on his schedule ...

... throw in a bonus pic of a '64 Chevy Impala that another guy is working on ...

... after the primer was laid down, spent about 3 hours wet sanding it ... only got about half done ... man, what a pain in the keister ...

... oh well, making progress and it feels good ... hope to post up some more progress photos tomorrow and maybe have some final results before too long ...

R/
'Chop

Attached Thumbnails Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0389.jpg   Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0391.jpg   Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0393.jpg   Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0392.jpg   Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0396.jpg  

Old 11-02-2012, 05:21 PM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

And the final color will be?????????????????

Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1963 Impala

I'd like to see someone mount the Switchback bags on any other model Dyna.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Default ** spoiler alert **

Rey:

Dude told me it was a '64 ... the white one in the background is a '63 ... I don't know, that's just what he told me ... when I was a teenager, my uncle had a '62 (the one with the curved front pillar) ...

I decided to go ahead and color match to the tins ...

So as the post header reads, this is a major spoiler alert ... here is what I'd been thinking of doing for quite a while ...

... vintage H-D oak leaf logo ... so here's the thing ... originally, I had been thinking of just getting the outline, but the guy did it this way ... I asked him if he could make a 'negative' of this decal so I could just get the line drawing of the thing ...

If anyone has an opinion ... now's the time to chime in ... I am thinking I like it as is ... the black background ties in with all the black trim and is a simple contrast on the "satin titanium" color that the final color of the fairing will be ...

THX for the feedback ...

R/
'Chop

Attached Thumbnails Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully-img_0409.jpg  

Quick Reply: Hard bag upgrade ... hopefully