Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installed new air cleaner,what about the hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:36 PM
ed gien
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed new air cleaner,what about the hoses?

I installed a new drag specialtie air cleaner and installed it, but the kit only came with one screw piece that looks like it took a hose, but my origanal hoses dont fit onto it(the ones that connect to the heads as seen on pic, empty) and what about the computer connection? I ran the bike and it runs great, had a hard time starting but was fine after it got warm.

Attached Thumbnails installed new air cleaner,what about the hoses?-66586_1658227540199_1372440887_31777602_7082064_n.jpg  
Old 10-21-2010, 07:55 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just tuck the connector out of the way, it is not connected to anything on USA models. I don't see what you mean about the hoses. I have the same air cleaner but used a D&M alluminum backing plate. The plate I have screws into the heads and brings the crankcase breather though the plate to the throttle body internally, no hoses. The head attachment points double as the crankcase breather exits.

Last edited by ColdCase; 10-21-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:09 PM
ed gien
Tourer

When I was referring to hoses, I meant the origanal two hoses that came from factory air cleaner, Yes I did tuck the connector away also My aftermarket came with a round 1/4" steel ring that connected by 3 bolts on air, no bolts onto the heads.

Last edited by ed gien; 10-21-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Usually when fitting that kind of aftermarket A/C you need a support bracket and breather kit too.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:51 AM
ed gien
Tourer

Thanks, This came with a bracket that went into the three holes that took the origanal air cleaner. I'll look at their catalog to see if they have a breather kit? The new air cleaner did come with one breather nozzle and the back plate had 2 holes close to eachother? Not to sound dumb and I did turn a wrench a few times, but just wish this came with a manual

Old 10-22-2010, 07:00 AM
ed gien
Tourer

It just came to me, that nozzle that came with it might be for carb. engines lol! I'll just get cool looking screws with skulls or something to put into the heads.(where the origanal hoses went)

Old 10-22-2010, 02:29 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ed gien
...I'll just get cool looking screws with skulls or something to put into the heads.(where the origanal hoses went)
You're not suggesting that you are going to PLUG the breather holes are you?

Old 10-22-2010, 05:33 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the EFI throttle body needs a support plate, its built into the stock housing but need to purchase separately with most aftermarket AFs. These either have provisions to connect up the hoses or internally route the breather. If you don't want to connect the breather to the AF (or the AF does not have hose connections), there are many different breather kits available. You don't want to block the breather holes in the head, unless you like crankcase pressure pushing oil out of interesting places. And you don't want to leave the hoses just dangle as the will drip oil. There is probably a dozen ways to do this. I chose a D&M filter support because it was clean, took care of the breathers, and was relatively inexpensive all things considered, still costing more than the air filter.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:52 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed a new drag specialtie air cleaner and installed it, but the kit only came with one screw piece that looks like it took a hose, but my origanal hoses dont fit onto it(the ones that connect to the heads as seen on pic, empty) and what about the computer connection? I ran the bike and it runs great, had a hard time starting but was fine after it got warm.
When I was referring to hoses, I meant the origanal two hoses that came from factory air cleaner, Yes I did tuck the connector away also My aftermarket came with a round 1/4" steel ring that connected by 3 bolts on air, no bolts onto the heads.
Originally Posted by Foxster
Usually when fitting that kind of aftermarket A/C you need a support bracket and breather kit too.
Originally Posted by ColdCase
I think the EFI throttle body needs a support plate, its built into the stock housing but need to purchase separately with most aftermarket AFs. These either have provisions to connect up the hoses or internally route the breather. If you don't want to connect the breather to the AF (or the AF does not have hose connections), there are many different breather kits available. You don't want to block the breather holes in the head, unless you like crankcase pressure pushing oil out of interesting places. And you don't want to leave the hoses just dangle as the will drip oil. There is probably a dozen ways to do this. I chose a D&M filter support because it was clean, took care of the breathers, and was relatively inexpensive all things considered, still costing more than the air filter.
Here's how I did mine... not as clean as a D&M, but it cost me 0 dollars.

Shortened stock breather bolts......& 1/8" flat strap with washers welded at the ends.

The AC backing plate made the final connection.

When the foam filter element melted from the hot oil vapors I rigged up this Air Cleaner I got for $20...

I cut the ears off this (it was for a Sportster) & welded the center ring part to my home made support bracket, then I used the same automotive windshield washer tubbing as before.

Last edited by 08fxdf43202; 10-22-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:27 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,710 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Seriously, plugging the bolt holes would not be good for your engine, you could start blowing seals. Contact your vendor I bet it's the wrong kit or an incomplete kit.

Quick Reply: installed new air cleaner,what about the hoses?