Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Fat Bob owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Dodger 2010
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fat Bob owner

Hello, everyone. I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks--since I got my new 2011 Fat Bob. I have some questions about the handlebars and foot pegs. I am 5'3" so reaching the forward control foot pegs is okay, but not great. I hated the mid controls of the Street Bob, though. I am interested in mini floorboards or maybe even better pegs with a heel rest. I had a Suzuki Boulevard previously, and it had nice big floorboards, so getting used to the small pegs on my new bike is taking some effort, especially since I feel like my legs are extended all the way out just so I can reach the pegs.

Also, I have the drag bars on my Fat Bob--not exactly the most comfortable handlebars since my arms are completely extended, as well. I am interested in the 12 inch mini apes, but I'm also trying to keep costs down. I have read that you can go with 12 inch apes and not have to lengthen the cables, but I'm not sure if that's the case with my particular bike. The dealership says that I'll need the cable kit, but of course they will be making the money, so they're not exactly unbiased.

I LOVE the way the Fat Bob handles. I'm just trying to make it as comfortable for me to ride as my previous bike was. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:42 PM
dsiltman
Cruiser

I switched from heal rest pegs to mini floorboards on my Lowrider with forwards on it and prefer the mini floorboards over the heal rests. As far as going to mini apes from the drag bar setup I don't see that happening without changing cables and wiring. You can go +2" with no problem.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:24 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

well congrats, but I can't really help you out since I'm 5'10. I really love my fatbob's handling as you do,and still love it after 30+K miles,,,,,,it's an '08

Old 10-20-2010, 07:25 PM
jeffc68
Tourer

I am surprised that at 5'3 you can reach them. I am 5'6 and had a hard time but maybe your inseam is longer. The mid controls are awesome but dont think they are available on the 2011.

Good luck I am sure there are some options.

Originally Posted by Dodger 2010
Hello, everyone. I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks--since I got my new 2011 Fat Bob. I have some questions about the handlebars and foot pegs. I am 5'3" so reaching the forward control foot pegs is okay, but not great. I hated the mid controls of the Street Bob, though. I am interested in mini floorboards or maybe even better pegs with a heel rest. I had a Suzuki Boulevard previously, and it had nice big floorboards, so getting used to the small pegs on my new bike is taking some effort, especially since I feel like my legs are extended all the way out just so I can reach the pegs.

Also, I have the drag bars on my Fat Bob--not exactly the most comfortable handlebars since my arms are completely extended, as well. I am interested in the 12 inch mini apes, but I'm also trying to keep costs down. I have read that you can go with 12 inch apes and not have to lengthen the cables, but I'm not sure if that's the case with my particular bike. The dealership says that I'll need the cable kit, but of course they will be making the money, so they're not exactly unbiased.

I LOVE the way the Fat Bob handles. I'm just trying to make it as comfortable for me to ride as my previous bike was. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:43 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

You could get some taller risers with some pull back on them and keep the same bars. I installed 8" risers on mine but they are straight with no pull back with the stock cables. But you can't go any taller than that without new cables.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 PM
michaelmitt
Intermediate

harley sells a seat for that bike that will sit you forward about an inch and a half more. This is most likely your answer..

Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Renoir1
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 24 Posts

'Gratz on the new bike! I demo'd one a few weeks ago and thought it was a sweet ride.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:42 PM
dustinn3
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats, just bought one myself after falling in love at demo days. I was having trouble with my shoulders with the drag bars so I bought 2" riser extensions from spacerjim's for a lot cheaper than new bars or risers. Seems to be a lot better now. Here's a pic.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:32 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've installed both the harley 6 inch pull back risers and a LePara reach seat. Gets you about two inches closer to the bars, an inch or so on the pegs and sits you a bit lower to the ground. Those are about the least cost, least hassle, and most effective items to consider. With the pull backs I find I don't need the reach seat so most of the time now I ride with a mustang tripper solo for more comfort.. I've never used floor boards.

Several here have put apes on, they needed cables to work.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 AM
JoeTag
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmitt
harley sells a seat for that bike that will sit you forward about an inch and a half more. This is most likely your answer..
+1 on that

Quick Reply: New Fat Bob owner