Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Drop...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 AM
nrvna76
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, and seat time is definitely what I am striving for. I have not had an issue handling the bike so far.. not that I have had it long.. but what I 'think' was my issue is... because of the new pipes, and having no baffles.. the bike was running lean.. so I needed to give it a bit more throttle than usual to get it to go, I gave it the same amount as always and expected it to move, it moved.. to the ground.. lol

But, this may just be me trying to rationalize being overconfident... either way, I'll be paying more attention.

Thanks for the stories! Helped me not feel like a complete goof.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad you and the bike didn't suffer any damage. Please don't take this as "preachin'" but Something to ALWAYS remember. Never grab the front brake in a slow turn, ESPECIALLY in gravel. The front suspension compresses and then the front end washes out (slides out from under you) way too easily in those situations. I'll get off my soapbox now...

Old 10-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Peter Black
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The first time you dump your bike, it hurts a little inside. Then after drop 3 or 4 you don't even replace broken stuff any more; just knock off the sharp bits with a grinder and spray it black; or thats at least what i do

Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 PM
oeberg
Advanced

I only dropped one bike and it wasn't even my own. I was wisiting my ol'dad in Sweden and he invited me to take a ride on his brand new Boulevard. I didn't have any riding gear with me and it was pretty cold outside so he borrowd me his jacket and his boots. His boots was the harness kind with the ankle strap and metal rings on it. The ride went fine and when I came back he was waiting standing on the driveway. I pulled up in front of him and stopped. Then I reached up with my foot to fold down the stand and the boot harness somehow got stuck in the fot peg. Both me and his boulevard fell like the harvested rockefeller christmastree. Holy Fu*k what I felt stupid.
But life goes on...**** happens. I have never dropped any of my own bikes....but could I change the way of faith I would have rather dropped any one of them and left my ol mans bike standing.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 PM
NuTTSaK
Intermediate

Forget to put your feet down? I saw a guy do this before it was hilarious and sad all at the same time.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 PM
oeberg
Advanced

Never seen that. Seen a friends wife get so exited about hugging a relative that she just stepped of the bike and run away without folding out the stand though. Equally humourous and sad

Old 10-21-2010, 06:11 PM
PMB3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

07 Sportster...Working in the garage got all sweaty went to pull the bike in,slowly let out the clutch and then the sweat took over, dumped the clutch bike kicked forward I went backwards and gave a good romp on the throttle,that somabitch kicked me right off the back of the bike.Thankfully I didnt have a sissybar attached because OUCH that would of hurt.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:25 PM
rplowden
Novice

I've had a couple drops/crashes. The most embarassing was when I was pushing an R1 I had to another parking spot at my apartment. I was walking next to it and was going to jump on it to roll down the hill. Except I missed, lossed my balanced, and dropped it. I always wondered how many were watching. Super embarassing I know. All you can do is learn from it.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:32 PM
sgt.tackleberry45
Cruiser

I did damn near the same thing, but i was busting a u turn in a parking lot and hit an oil spot, dropped it, but only scuffed the bar ends. that was a few years ago. it was the week I first got the bike.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 PM
sgt.tackleberry45
Cruiser

I have been down hard too, I was air lifted to stanford hospital in Ca. but all i can say is always compensate for everyone else, they do the dumbest chit you could imagine. never let your guard down.

Quick Reply: First Drop...