Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dupli-Color Shadow Chrome Black-Out Coating

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:38 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dupli-Color Shadow Chrome Black-Out Coating

Has anyone used this on their chrome with any success? There are a few pieces of chrome I want to black out and thought this may be an alternative to the hassle of blasting or stripping it to paint or PC. I did a search, but nothing came up.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/s...=Promo1Marquee
CB

Old 10-17-2010, 05:07 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks interesting. Post up the results if you go through with it.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Kelly_A
Intermediate

I've used it before on chrome-plated plastic trim parts with a lot of success. Very durable as far as resisting weather. Never used it on any parts that were subject to mechanical abrasion. I wouldn't use it anywhere that fuel or oil might contact the surface. The top coat is very vulnerable to any petroleum spills.

You may be disappointed since you used the term "black-out" - the sheen of the chrome shows through the coating. Final result looks more like chrome in low light rather than a true blacked-out finish.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:13 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly_A
I've used it before on chrome-plated plastic trim parts with a lot of success. Very durable as far as resisting weather. Never used it on any parts that were subject to mechanical abrasion. I wouldn't use it anywhere that fuel or oil might contact the surface. The top coat is very vulnerable to any petroleum spills.

You may be disappointed since you used the term "black-out" - the sheen of the chrome shows through the coating. Final result looks more like chrome in low light rather than a true blacked-out finish.
Ya, I understand the paint is translucent. They do say you can put several coats on to darken it further. I was thinking it would be a good contrast to the black and the chrome that I have on the bike, guess I will have to try it to find out.
Thanks for the input,
CB

Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

I just give the chrome a good wet sanding with 300-400 grit wet sanding paper. The chrome should have a good dull / brushed looking finish. Then I apply a few coats of self etching primer (bonds itself to any metal surface, not just cover it). After is is completely dry. You can give it a nice light wet sanding. Clean it and prep it for paint and then paint it what ever color you want. I used John Deere Blitz Black and their gloss black. I like it because their paint is designed for out door / abusive use and stands up to wear. The key is to good surface prep on the chrome.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:24 AM
jaysbobber
Cruiser

This looks very interesting. I think this would be very cool to contrast the gloss and flat black on my bike.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I wounder how it would look if used on aluminum type wheels

Kinda reminds me of the Candy Apple paints from back in the 60's, Base coat of gold/silver or color, then a coat of any translucent color, then clear coat of gloss/semi-gloss/mat finish, depending on wanted results.

Last edited by SteveO-ll; 10-18-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 PM
mtn-glide
Intermediate

ive done a few small parts i had laying around. I like it pretty well so far. yes, you can change the look by adding more coats til you are happy with the results.