Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot 2010 Wide Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 03:28 PM
f4kev
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hot 2010 Wide Glide?

When sitting in traffic I noticed that it felt like my right leg (inner thigh) was on fire. Now I know Harleys air cooled and run hot..... But should it feel like my right leg is literally burning? I believe that the bike runs really lean at idle. To prove my point I started the bike in the garage with the door closed and lights off. After about 5 - 8 min of idling the pipes turn red hot near the cylinders (both front and rear). Is it normal for pipes to turn red hot?

Old 10-16-2010, 03:48 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

If you were riding a softail, I would say thats normal. But for the pipes to be turning red hot(not normal) means it's way to lean. Best bet would be, do a stage 1 upgrade and get it tuned. Oh and welcome to the forums!

Last edited by red devil; 10-16-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:58 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by red devil
If you were riding a softail, I would say thats normal. But for the pipes to be turning red hot(not normal) means it's way to lean. Best bet would be, do a stage 1 upgrade and get it tuned. Oh and welcome to the forums!

Why would this be normal on a Softail? My scoot never glowed in the dark, that's for sure...and that's after being stuck in July & August traffic. Not that things (including myself) didn't get warm, mind you.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:08 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No way should your pipes glow red hot. That bike is running way lean. I believe HD really leaned these to an extreme level as they were tryin to get 50MPG for sales. My opinion is that all FI bikes need a tuner on them to richen them up. The Thundermax system is a nice one. I never had a stock HD but my buddy that works at HD said the OEM fuel maps are crazy lean.
Maybe someone else will have a better answer,thats all I got.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Dingobob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This happened to a friends 10wg when he had stock pipes on. Dealer said nothing to worry about. He's since changed pipes and tuner and no more problems. Seems strange though and looked strange at night

Old 10-16-2010, 06:04 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Why would this be normal on a Softail? My scoot never glowed in the dark, that's for sure...and that's after being stuck in July & August traffic. Not that things (including myself) didn't get warm, mind you.
When I said it being normal on a softail, I meant about his inner right thigh being hot. The pipes glowing red isn't normal on any model.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:06 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Catalytic converters in your pipes . Switch them out to something else , and get a tuner . Or trade it in on a Liquid cooled bike ....Just sayin' :/

Old 10-16-2010, 07:46 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by red devil
When I said it being normal on a softail, I meant about his inner right thigh being hot. The pipes glowing red isn't normal on any model.

One thing is certain:

that scooter of yours is hot even when it's not running!

Last edited by TORQUEY; 10-16-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:53 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TORQUEY

One thing is certain:

that scooter of yours is hot even when it's not running!
Thanks TORQUEY!!!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:01 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Quick question for Jayson

Originally Posted by jaysonL
Catalytic converters in your pipes . Switch them out to something else , and get a tuner . Or trade it in on a Liquid cooled bike ....Just sayin' :/
Like that raised drag bar. I see you previously had the stock mini-apes, is the hand position near the same with the raised drag bar?

Quick Reply: Hot 2010 Wide Glide?