Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated handgrips not compatible with internal wires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 03:59 PM
luv_my_harley
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated handgrips not compatible with internal wires?

Why is harley showing that none of their heated hand grips are compatible with internal wiring?

Also, anyone tried the edge cut hand grips? Are they comfortable? Is more rubber more comforting on the hands or are stock as good as it gets?

Old 10-15-2010, 06:06 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try something like these. I have a similar set installed on my Dyna.
With black controller (#SY-210046)-----$129.95
With chrome controller (#SY-210045)-----$129.95
http://www.heeters.com/snbgrips.shtml

Or Kuryakyn Heat Demons

I've got mine wired to an aux accessory on/off switch (available from HD) on my left switch housing. It uses the existing wiring hole in the handlebars.
One nice thing about these insert type heaters is you can use whatever grips you want.
Whatever you decide to run, be sure and run a fuse somewhere along the line.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:10 PM
luv_my_harley
Road Master

I was just going to get heated gloves. I just wanted to know why all the grips said they weren't compatible.

The edge cut grips don't have much rubber on them, so I wonder if they are hard to hang on to without gloves or even with.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:01 AM
spaceblue
Tourer

I have both. Heat Demons heated grips and some Widder heated gloves. I like the grips better for all around use. The gloves are just too bulky.
I am also runing Carlini drag bars with internal wiring and the Heat Demon heated grips with no problems.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:36 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

yes you can! the only trick is you are going to need to use a rubber gromit on the throttle... allow enough slack for the grip to twist when you give her gas... i just did it on my sport touring bike this weekend. for power i tapped off the headlight line (i do not have brights on my sport touring only HID) but if you tap off that you never have to worry about leaving it on, then i just put a toggle switch between the power line (3 prong switch) so that it lights up if it is turned on... just rode them for the first time this morning in about 40* weather, have to say... LOVE THEM!!!!

leaving enough room for the grip to twist is all you ahve to worry about man

Old 10-23-2010, 08:15 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
yes you can! the only trick is you are going to need to use a rubber gromit on the throttle... allow enough slack for the grip to twist when you give her gas... i just did it on my sport touring bike this weekend. for power i tapped off the headlight line (i do not have brights on my sport touring only HID) but if you tap off that you never have to worry about leaving it on, then i just put a toggle switch between the power line (3 prong switch) so that it lights up if it is turned on... just rode them for the first time this morning in about 40* weather, have to say... LOVE THEM!!!!

leaving enough room for the grip to twist is all you ahve to worry about man
Did you take any picks while doing the install? If so, could you post them. I am lookinginto getting some form of heat to my hands, I am starting to get tired of winter riding with cold azz hands, my gloves work good for the first 15-20 mins of the ride but then i start to resort to the engine warming process.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:27 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

for my sport touring... i got these... as you can see they where super cheap... the wiring and switch they came with sucked ***** so i cut the wires and redid them (you would have to do this to run them internally anyway) all you do is slide the shrink wrap over the grip, remove the tack cover on the heated section and stick that to the shrink wrap (so it does not ground out when it gets power... learned the hardway) then conect the power up...
I love mine... was 30* here last night and my hands where fine for an hour ride... they get warm not HOT, i like it cause i dont have to keep flipping them on and off.. plus if you tap the power off the purple wire that goes to your running lights up front that will shut them off when you turn your bike off... just an idea... was super cheap but took like 3 weeks to get here... ooh ya no instructions either cause it is all in japanesse... but if you go that way and need a hand let me know... hell for $5 it is worth a try to see if you will use them at least, that is why i got them

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

the bike i installed them on.. rode every day rain shine snow or hail.. does not matter this sucker is tuff! and to be honest is a blast to ride! need to order a taller touring shield now that it is getting colder but i think i may just glass a whole new front fairing out of a newer SV650s fairing... we will see... if you want me to snap some pics of them now installed let me know

Last edited by JRK5892; 10-23-2010 at 08:31 AM.