Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here is tired of mediocrity

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 05:00 PM
warren888
Account Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who here is tired of mediocrity

I am so pissed off right now - and I've had it with dealers and their baloney.

I don't know what has happened to this country where we accept mediocrity, surliness and slop. I for one am not willing to lie down. I'm going to tell it like it is and make noise.

Here's what set me off....

I was very happy that my dealer worked something out for me and ended up throwing in a bunch of parts. Great sales manager (wish I could say that for the sales person himself). Anyway, I've been debating about installing the parts myself vs. letting them do it. I am a big believer in quality - anyone who has read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance will get my drift. And I am absolutely fanatical about taking care of my bike. I hate dropping it in for service at all.

Anyway, it was time for my 1,000 mile service (new '06 FXDL). I have to go out of town next week, so the dealer says "why not leave it and we'll put on those parts - they'll be in within a few days". I decide to do that. Get a call last night from service... your bike is ready from the 1,000 mile service, but the parts are on backorder and won't be in for 3 weeks. So I decide to go get the bike today before I leave on my business trip - so it isn't sitting in the dealership for nothing.

So - first thing that happens is I notice some drips of oil under the bike. The service guy didn't bother wiping off the drain plugs. Then I notice the backrest is scuffed. Then I check the oil and find it way overfilled. I am a bit paranoid about blow-by and do not ever overfill. So I ask to speak with a service manager (by the way, admin at service counter is a complete moron and useless). He checks and agrees the oil is overfilled. He finds out who serviced the bike, and calls the guy out to fix the problem. I am sitting there incredulous that they don't even check the oil level... what else do they just fly by the seat of their pants? This just isn't a good situation for someone like me who is picky.

Anyway, service guy comes to get the bike. I ask him about the scuff on the backrest, and he says "probably from someone hitting their shoe on it getting on the bike". No "sorry", no "I'll clean it"... just a copout.

While the guy is draining some oil, the sales manager happens to walk by and is surprised to see me, because he thought I was leaving the bike to get the parts put on. I told him they are on backorder for 3 weeks. He rolls his eyes and says he has all the parts. Turns out the service guy went and reordered everything AGAIN - complete disconnect between service and sales (even though a service manager was with me in the sales managers office when I agreed to leave the bike for the week).

Then the guy rolls my bike out - and I meet him with the service manager. I ask the guy "how does this happen" (meaning, how do you let a bike out without checking the oil). He says to me "it happens from pouring in too much oil" and starts to walk away. I said excuse me, I know that, I mean how do you not check the oil level. He looks all pissy and tells the manager "it wasn't that full I was able to just suck the excess out...". He then just turns around and walks off.

I could not believe this guys attitude. He couldn't care less about quality, and obviously doesn't have a shred of respect for other people's bikes or for customers. I hit the roof. I told the service manager to forget putting on the parts - just give them to me and I'll have it done at another dealership. And I told him I NEVER want that service technician to touch my bike ever again. Period.

I am so sick and tired and fed up with this kind of crap, which happens over and over again in everything in life.

People just don't take any pride in their work or care about anything. They should just be fired.

I know I'm blowing this thing out of proportion, but it's been building and I just shouldn't have to worry about my bike coming out

Old 09-16-2006, 05:37 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,106 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Default RE: Who here is tired of mediocrity

ORIGINAL: warren888
I am so pissed off right now - and I've had it with dealers and their baloney.

I don't know what has happened to this country where we accept mediocrity, surliness and slop.
I for one am not willing to lie down. I'm going to tell it like it is and make noise.
.................................................. ..................................
I am so sick and tired and fed up with this kind of crap, which happens over and over again in everything in life.

People just don't take any pride in their work or care about anything. They should just be fired.

I know I'm blowing this thing out of proportion,
.................................................. ..................................
So I had to vent... who else feels this way?
PS - back to believing in do all the work that you can yourself -
employees at a dealership just don't care like you do about your own bike
You're right warren, to a certain extent.

The only way you are blowing this thing out of proportion is
your wording that it is accepted by all.

There is a large percentage that do have pride, just not enough of these people.

I do believe in what you say for the most part.
Problem, as I see it is -
We all know the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and there is a silent majority.

Silent. Why? Too busy trying to make a living.
Don't have time to squeak.

I'm glad I'm 57 not 27. Hope things get better.
I've had my good times, and remember when
there were more who did give a ****.

An old saying where I come from -
If you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself.

Nowdays, you can get sued for saying that.
Because you hurt someone's feelings.

mud

Old 09-16-2006, 07:09 PM
mhbetzer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I for one feel just like Warren. There is no reason for these dealers to act like they do. I have read so many stories on here of people having trouble with dealers. Fortunatly I have not had to do anything with the dealer, I think I've only been in the place 3 times since I bought my bike in Nov. of 04 to buy some accesories. I have made up my mind if I have anything that I can't take care of I will find an indy to do it. I do have to admit at my age (64) that I'm not as gung ho about working on stuff as I was when I was 18, but when I have to I will still do it.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:43 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely it's the shop success (due to being HD). They probably sell all they want, have full service schedules, and are flush w/green. Why try harder? If they lose you, they'll still have all the others. Bad service rarely means a dead business anymore, and especially not at a HD dealership. And many dealers never existed before the 90s, so they have little tech ability for that matter.

Old 09-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with warren888 also... I have had some issues with my dealer also many times mostly with my sportster but also with my dyna, guess it has nothing to do with the bike it's just the Moe Moe's that worked on it!! Tell you one place to never and I do mean never go to if your in the Frederick MD area!! J T Motor Sports in Frederick MD... Had a friend take a Harley there just to get it inspected it was there three weeks, he decided to go in to see what was up and low and behold there it was sitting out back rusting!! They had left it outside in the weather for three weeks and on top of that they broke something ( can't recall the details been a while ) Anyways just a few weeks ago a close friend got his first bike ( suzuki 650 something ) He takes it in for the 1000 mile service, they call it's ready.... Gets it starts riding home and hmmmmmm what the heck is that loud clunking sound? Pulls over don't see anything restarts sounds OK, takes off again and kaboom it locks up!!! Guess what? You got it, they didn't refill it with oil, completely dry!!! They rebuilt the motor and still charged him 1/2 price for the service!!! Never go to J T Motor Sports in Frederick MD!!!

Donnie

Old 09-16-2006, 08:49 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Goesback to that old saying, if you want it done right, do it yourself.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:34 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't take my car to a dealership for service I don't take my bike there either.Idependant shops make thier money on your return buisiness they are much more likely to take pride in thier work and have good customer service.Recalls and waranty issues are the only reason I will take my bike back to a dealership.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:41 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

I can relate. My dealer's service department has been up to snuff thus far, but their parts department sales guys' interest can be measured in micro give-a-sh*ts. Having been in sales, I try to be loyal to sales people in commissioned sales positions, but the guys where I bought my DWG make it really difficult. I've ordered and waited for parts from them, knowing I can get them from another local dealer only to find after waiting a week that they've been cancelled or for some other reason aren't ever coming in.

So, I've started buying form anogther local shop. My parts guy there keeps a notebook and calls for status and lets me know about even the smallest of items. It's further to ride (as if that's really a problem) but well worth it to be loyal to a sales rep who takes time to do his job right and earn my business.

Old 09-17-2006, 04:09 AM
DougsDyna
Banned

No it is NOT acceptable.

Have you eaten at Mickey D's, Hardees, KFC???

Shopped at Walmart???

Most of our Great American Society doesn't give a crap about anybody but themselves, and I have to wonder about that.

Don't get me started, but I will do all the service I can on my Dyna under warrenty, then all of it after that.

Same reason my car NEVER goes to the dealer, etc.

In MOST cases service and caring is out the window, along with honesty.

There are people who care, but you have to seek them out. Look for a good independent for service.

You can put the parts on yourself and save lots of dough, and take pride in your accomplishment.

All the Harley parts I have purchased came with good instructions for installation. Remember, you can read, and it may be questionable whether the service tech can or not that will install them.

My .02

DD

Old 09-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer

I NEVER bring my bikes in for service. I am paranoid about the quality of service even when I had the Kawasaki ZRX. The first thing I get when I get a new bike is the shop service manual. I just did my first service (at 700 miles. I will do my next at 3000. I think the first 2 intervals from HD are too long) and it cost me just 60 for fluids and filter. Even when I need the tire changed I take the wheels off of the bike and carry the wheels in.

Quick Reply: Who here is tired of mediocrity