Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF...2 broken windshield clamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Azrael
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF...2 broken windshield clamps

What gives with cast windshield clamps, had one break on the first ride with the new windshield and another one break just now when I went to put it back on the back. I was careful to get the alignment down and the clamp that broke today was the first clamp I attached. Are there better clamps, aftermarket, that I can buy or is there so trick to using these to keep them from breaking, at 20$ per clamp I really don't want to keep replacing one every time I have to take off the windshield.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:03 PM
phreak
Road Master
Default RE: WTF...2 broken windshield clamps

Maybe the bike was trying to tell you it don't want no stinking windshield on it.

Old 09-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Azrael
Cruiser

Then the bike should realize it would have sat in a parking lot for hours last night without the windshield. It started to rain while out to dinner and was a lite mist by the time we left, 5 minutes down the road we were in a down pour, had I not be able to lay down behind the shield I would have turned around and called someone to come pick me up....

I love the look of the bike without it, but the long fast (60 mph) rides are so much easier with it on. That's why I got the detachable version, around town off, long rides on, but at 20$ per removal/install I am going to end up using it as target practice....

Old 09-16-2006, 03:46 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bad part. (risking Murphy) I have not had those problems on my Bob, and I take it off regularly.

...and I am asked to put it all on again quickly.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:21 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just got a new quick release one of my clamps broke on install! [:@] I fully expect my dealer to replace it.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:30 PM
soup48
Road Captain

Is there any type of adjustment for tightness, if so, that could be your problem. I did not want that quick release type windshield.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:45 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: soup48
Is there any type of adjustment for tightness, if so, that could be your problem. I did not want that quick release type windshield.
That's one I did not think of. I wanted a quick off w/skull but they said it did not fit the Bob. Maybe the model you have is for a different model on the line and the added tension is causing the breakage

Old 09-17-2006, 12:50 AM
mirage2521
Advanced

The service manager at my dealer told me that I would break the clamps if I did not install them in a very specific way. I followed instructions and take mine on and off all the time. He told me to lmake su all the clamps were very loose on the windshield then clamp all 4 on....then tighten the clamps to the windshield. Try loosening the other 3 when you install a new one, clamp them all then tighten to windshield

Old 09-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Azrael
Cruiser

model is correct for my forks (06 low), confirmed with dealer today. Dealer indicated they have had alot of problems with the clamps lately, taking the winshield in monday to show the parts manager and hopefully get replacement clamps.

I have looked at both broken clamps and think I may have found the problem. The lever that "locks" the clamp is made of what appears to be cast aluminum. The levers get thin in one part and this is area where both clamps broke. hopefully its just a bad batch of castings....

Old 09-17-2006, 02:04 AM
hep0950
Tourer

Detachable windshield was on my '06 FXDFI35 when I bought it. Went to leave and noticed a clamp loose. After further inspection noticed it was broke. They kept the winshield and ordered a new piece. After being notified that it was ready, I went back put it on and another clamp broke. Went through the process again when I picked it up, it was fine. The biggest thing I can see is that you need to make sure the clamps are square on the forks.

Quick Reply: WTF...2 broken windshield clamps