Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI/Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006 | 04:50 AM
puddles13
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default EFI/Exhaust question

Have been doing some research on pipes and performance etc for my 06 Superglide. Liked the performance that I had gotten with Pythons previously on my 94 Superglide. Had it down between Python 3’s and D&D’s, but figured it would be a while before I could plunk down the money to get what I wanted and was willing to wait.

I have the opportunity to obtain a full exhaust of Python 3’s for an incredible price - $400.00.

My question to those with more experience dealing with EFI – which I am a newbie dealing with. Do I need to get her dyno’d with the new pipes on or can I wait until I get the race tuner I want?
*ok, I know……… better performance overall, but debating several things here at once.*

Yes……… Have thought about picking up the pipes because they are a good deal and letting them sit in the garage until I can do it all at once. But come on guys……. That is like putting chocolate in front of a pms’ing woman and telling her not to eat it! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Feedback????

[IMG]local://upfiles/16353/F5CBA65947C54B40BC0BADCAFDEF1510.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-16-2006 | 10:10 AM
tdshepard
Unsubscribed From Forum
Default RE: EFI/Exhaust question

The engine is really an air pump. So If you open up the exhaust it doesn't do much until you open up the intake as well.....I think the best package is to do a low restriction air cleaner, exhaust, and computer tuner such as a Powercommander all at the same time. When I did this "stage 1" I got my Powercommander from Fuelmoto USA with a fuel map already installed and I didn't feel I needed to go to a dyno for any additional tuning. So yes, get the pipes if you like 'em but maybe wait to install until you have all three pieces of a stage 1 upgrade.

Old 09-16-2006 | 10:24 AM
mikec
Road Captain

Dyno want do any good without a tuner to adjust. If your
just changing pipes your ok. When you add a higher flow
A/C then do a tuner. You can then use a canned map at
that point untill you get the dyno. The dyno will allow a
tuner to tweek your Power Commander or Sert. Theres
a ton of info on tuners in the Tech section of this board.

Old 09-16-2006 | 10:42 AM
glide
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: mikec

I would suggest that with an 06 that you should be very carefull to add pipes without fuel enrichment. True it was done in the past but then the bikes weren't running as lean as they are now. I would hold off and do it all at once.

Old 09-16-2006 | 02:52 PM
phreak
Road Master

ORIGINAL: glide

ORIGINAL: mikec

I would suggest that with an 06 that you should be very carefull to add pipes without fuel enrichment. True it was done in the past but then the bikes weren't running as lean as they are now. I would hold off and do it all at once.
Yup, do it all at once.

Even with just the pipe change, they will blue until you can get a phueler installed.

I know it sux, and I was impatient and put my pipes on without the phueler and they blued quickly.

Buy yer parts cheap as you phind them, then when you have everything, go phor it!

Old 09-16-2006 | 03:59 PM
1320nut
Novice

I did research too and found for the money and quality I bought Bub's installed K@N air cleaner system along with Power commander PC3 had it dynoed and never had a smoother running bike

Old 09-16-2006 | 08:25 PM
madcitycustom
Road Master

I think you might as well wait on buying the pipes until you're ready to install them. With the '07s coming out, we're already seeing the prices for pipes fitting '06s coming down. I doubt they'll go back up, so you could probably get the same price when you're ready to install.

Old 09-17-2006 | 10:52 AM
Beagle1
Road Captain

My buddy did pipes on his 06 Street Bob and now one cylinder is dangerously lean and he has a bad hesitation on tip in.

The company I work for hs done a lot of EFI mapping for HD and Victory, and one of our engineers worked on the HD programmer/race tuner at his previous employer.

From what I have seen with what I do for a living (ECU calibrations on a dyno), I wouldn't change one thing unless you can change them all at once and properly tune it.

My buddy should have known that, he works at the same place...but he has a 60's mentality and likes carbs better than EFI. He wants to use my Race Tuner, but can't. It formats itself to one ECU and that's it, so it's only good for your bike.

Old 09-17-2006 | 11:06 AM
mikec
Road Captain

I stand corrected. Re-read the post, didn't realize we
were talking full exhaust. I thought we were talking
slip-ons.

Old 09-17-2006 | 04:43 PM
puddles13
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks guys!

I guess I already knew, just didn't want to accept I should wait. Ok, so its killing me with stock pipes etc......

Just need to find that job that pays the bills and gives me the extra money I want, when I want it for my toy. LOL

One of the things that was so exciting to me getting this bike was being able to put on what I wanted. Bike #5 is my first new bike. So many choices and I'm loving it!

I am still wavering though.... so better to wait it out. The consistant performance of the D&D's is so appealing! The mech's at HD that my son works with really recommend the HD tuner - so going to defininantly go with that.

The piggy bank for my extras is filling up slowly and surely.

Quick Reply: EFI/Exhaust question