Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluctuating idle when coming to a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Jarhead08
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluctuating idle when coming to a stop.

The last couple days my 07 lowrider has been acting weird. When slowing down and pulling in the clutch the idle drops way low and then slowly builds back up to normal. It doesn't die but does act like it will. It doesn't sputter when taking off just idles slow. My 08 sporty did this but always died at a stop. It was the speed sensor going bad. Anyone know what this is going on? I have a screaming eagle race dueler and can adjust it accordingly but I'm not sure what else to check before going back to the dealership.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:11 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked the plugs? They might be fouling causing an erratic idle....I have the same bike that I picked up in August of this year and I have not had any issues with her....

Old 10-12-2010, 05:16 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

I can't say for certain, but I'm wondering if you weren't experiencing some heat management controlling the idle. If you went out for a quick ride right now would it do it, was it warm out or were you idling/stuck/sitting for a while. Last week I was stuck on the freeway, barely moving along in traffic for a good half hour. I have never really been in traffic that long during the daylight, sometimes at night but it's a little cooler then. My bike seemed to at first run higher rpm, then after a while longer it dropped off and was barely running, I thought I read somewhere it cuts fuel or something to aid in heat control when hot, maybe that's what you had, because mine is fine now, but it's not stuck in traffic either.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:24 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a classic description of "lost IAC counts." Either a sticky IAC motor or a failing one! The IAC motor does not have a position feedback, so once it has reset at shutdown, the "known" position can be "lost" until you reset at key off. To check the IAC operation, next time you get the "low idle" with theh clutch in on decel, stop, turn the key off ( for about 15 sec. to allow a full reset. Then restart and repeat the decel and clutch in, RIGHT after the reset! If it doesn't have a low idle on that cycle, the IAC was LOST!

As a point of information the IAC motor moves in and out with every throttle input! So as you drive down the road the IAC motor position is changing with input from the throttle. It opens and closes to cushion the RPM return to idle! When the "counts" ( or known) position gets lost, the motor is not where the software "thinks" it is when returning the RPM to idle command speed!!

Some have had luck cleaning the motor, but in my experience, once they ( IAC motors) start losing counts they are worn and the "slop" in the threads is causing the problem! I've seen NEW IAC motors be faulty and lose counts with very little use! ( I am not a fan of IAC motors!!)

Old 10-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Jarhead08
Tourer

It happens right off the star while cool and at temp. The weathers changed a bit. It goes from hot to cold pretty quick here. I did put some low octane gas in it because I ran out of gas and put about a half gallon of 89 Oct. I'm hoping that's it. Going to get some fuel booster and hope that takes care of it.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine periodically does the same exact thing, and every once in awhile it will actually stall.

Do a search for IAC as a couple people have posted how to clean the IAC valve in the throttle body. But as FBRR suggests replacement might be in order.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Jarhead08
Tourer

At least its under warranty. I'm going to give it a few days and see if it adjusts out or gets worse then haul it in.