Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dissappointed.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:12 PM
joe1984
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed.......

Well i ordered the rally runner seat, It came in today i installed it and took the bike out for a ride. At first it was weird then i figured i just had to get used to it. I rode for about 20 miles and only hated it more and more. It changed my rider position big time. I am 5' 10" like a 32" inseam. I did not think i was all that short.I kind of feel like i am not part of the bike, my feet feel like they are to far away from the controls, the seat is putting alot of pressure against my thigh's. I figured i would give it another ride this weekend and see if maybe it will break in a little.

Last edited by joe1984; 10-12-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's not comfortable as a riding position from the get-go, it will never be comfortable without modification. I'd be mostly worried about the pressure it's putting on your thighs. You can make the seat more comfortable by reshaping, but you just paid for the seat. I'd send it back and keep looking.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Look into C&C seats. Probably cheaper, a lot better quality, great people, made in the USA and if you talk to them and tell them what you want they will custom make your seat. I love mine and it's just their standard solo, but I'm 6 foot. The front of the seat is narrower as well. My stock solo would press on my thighs and make my legs cramp up or get tingly. Hasn't happened once with the C&C. Sat on it for 9 hours in AUG!! The fatigue got to me before the seat.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 AM
joe1984
Cruiser

yea by reading the specs on this seat i really did not think it was going to make a big difference over the stock seat. I really thought the big change was for the passenger seat. Sad part is i like the way it looks but it feels like crap

Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

anything wide through the rider's area is gonna make it a real bitch to ride.

you gotta keep your legs squeezed in to keep your feet on the pegs and you're gonna get tired really fast.

this was happening to me with the stock st. bob seat so i switched to a bare bones solo.

as far as butt comfort, i can make it a full tank of gas before i need to stop, and my legs are much more relaxed on my foot controls.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 AM
maryland blackout
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toastman
anything wide through the rider's area is gonna make it a real bitch to ride.

you gotta keep your legs squeezed in to keep your feet on the pegs and you're gonna get tired really fast.

this was happening to me with the stock st. bob seat so i switched to a bare bones solo.

as far as butt comfort, i can make it a full tank of gas before i need to stop, and my legs are much more relaxed on my foot controls.

I love my bare bones also. Granted, when I sit on some of my buddies' stock or touring seats it is like sitting on clouds comparitavely. But as far as not having to widen your sitting stance or sit uncomfortably, the bones is great. It doesn't lock you in to one position because there virtually is no contour besides the countour of the frame.... Plus it looks killer

Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 AM
joe1984
Cruiser

I thought about the barebones....
How is it for 2up? I was looking to help the wife out a little also.
I was looking for a little more back support for me and some comfort for the wife.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:53 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by joe1984
I thought about the barebones....
How is it for 2up? I was looking to help the wife out a little also.
I was looking for a little more back support for me and some comfort for the wife.
with the barebones and the matching passenger pillion my ex and i did 350 miles to atlantic city round trip.

on the way there i stopped after about 100 miles to get gas, and she needed about 10 minutes to walk around and stretch, then we finished the last 70 or 80 miles.

the way home, we stopped after about 50 because we were in traffic, then we went another 50 because like a dumbass i forgot to top off when we stopped the first time, then we finished the last 80 miles no problem

if comfort is your goal, theres many other options, i was just pointing out don't discount narrow seats for comfort, as many things (not just how much cushion a seat has) contribute to comfort.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:17 AM
joe1984
Cruiser

I am not looking for total comfort. I would like a little more comfort, for me and the passenger, looks and function. Over the stock seat.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

High density foam takes a little time to break in. Just the way it is. There's 1 lb foam, 2 lb foam, 4 lb foam, etc, etc. The higher the density, obviously, the more time it takes to form to your body. Especially with urethane foam. Memory foam is whole 'nother ball game, one we don't want to get into.

Cheap foam may 'feel' better inititally but after a short period of time, it's gonna give up the ghost.

Same with cheapass vinyl. Cheap vinyl will conform to your body immedately. And hold its shape for, umm -- About a week.

Good quality, heavy leather requires a little time to break in. Yes, I realize that there is high quality leather out there on $1,000 shoes that requires little to no break in period. But put that leather on a motorcycle seat and see how it holds up.

The Rallyrunner is a Danny Gray. Whether it's a knockoff of the Weekday XL or the Long Haul? I don't know. But it's a Danny Gray. I have a Danny Gray and the leather (to me) looks to be a very high quality, thick, top grain (yes, there's a difference between top grain leathers and other leather) type of leather. The foam feels like a very high quality, very expensive, dense foam. Did you notice the difference in weight from the stocker to the Rallyrunner? I did on my Danny Gray. That's the quality of the seat, the foam and the leather.

Buy a $150 pair of work boots and tell me how easy they are to break in. Usually, not very. But once they do, the feel can't be beat and the longevity of comfort is unmatched.

As far as the controls go? I'd say you're just not used to the new seat yet. My neighbor has a Wide Glide with a Danny Gray Long haul, he's only 5'8" and has no problems with it. I'm 5'9" and have no issues with my Weekday. But I have mids. Still, I can't tell the diff when using my highway pegs.

If you 'own' the seat, don't despair. I think you'll get used to it and really start to like it once it breaks in.

Probably.

Quick Reply: Dissappointed.......