Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide vs Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM
BDX2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wide Glide vs Street Bob

Hi All,

I have a new '10 WG. I'm new to Harley, new to the site. to be honest I don't know much about HD but I am learning.

As you may or may not know, I won the bike in a raffle. Instead of looking at what fit me best, I just accepted the bike. Looking back maybe some research would have saved me time money and effort now.

Anyway, I love the bike, but it's starting to hurt my neck. I have the reach seat on, but it still feels pretty uncomfortable at times.

Last week I sat on the new StreetBob. Today I'll be taking a test-ride, maybe working a deal. The Mid-Controls and mini-apes made it seem like so it would be a lot more comfortable riding position for me.

If I do end up with the Bob, I already have 2 seats that would fit it, the sundowner and the reach. I'll still need the back pegs. I like the look of both bikes, maybe the Bob a little more, hoping I can get comfortable on something.

I'm 5'8" and I've had neck problems for years. Nothing to stop me, it just stiffens up at times.

Any Advice/Experience/Opinions Welcome,

Thanks,

Joe

Old 10-08-2010, 01:16 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 5.9 (32 inseam) and the Street Bob (for me) is way more comfortable than the new Wide Glide. Mainly because the forwards put me in a personally uncomfortable position (especially clearing the air cleaner cover with my right leg) and the lower handlebars. Seems that the Street Bob just puts me in a much more neutral position for riding especially that with my hands on the handlebars my back can be erect and my head straight up, which may help with long term neck strain, one of the reasons I never liked the Night Train after test riding it (drag style bars). The risers on the Wide glide do make it a bit more comfortable than the NT, but still, not as much so for me as my Bob. Just an opinion, and others may have different ones, but hope this helps.

(If only the Wide Glide came with a mid control option and ape hangers, it would be a killer ride right out of the box! Guess you can't beat the price YOU paid though, LOL!, you may be able to mod it to specs. Swapping the bars may be worthwhile to try if the forward controls work for you.)

Last edited by DeathProof72; 10-08-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:23 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

sounds like you just need to swap bars man... but if you go st bob i have forward controls and i am 5'9 just have stir ups on mine

Old 10-08-2010, 02:00 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like winning the raffle is going to end up costing you a lot of money!

The SB with the mid controls and stock handlebars may be more comfortable. Unfortunately, just sitting on one or even taking a test ride likely won't tell you how your neck and body will feel after a real ride. Since you have some issues with your neck, it might be in your best interest to spend $100 - 200 and rent it for the day and put some real miles on and see how you feel. It's a small price to pay in the overall scheme of things, and dealer likely would let you put it towards the purchase.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Robert Le Gras
Road Warrior

It's been my experience that pain in the upper back, shoulders or neck stems from handlebars. I'd look at new bars, that should clear THAT problem up for you, and then you wouldn't NEED to exchange the bike if you really do like the bike a lot and don't really want another model.

I'd go to the dealer and sit on bikes and see if you can identify a set of handlebars that seem to not create that tension and pain in the neck. . . ?

Old 10-08-2010, 04:09 PM
HDHornet
Road Warrior

The Street Bob is way more comfortable for me, love the mini apes, I even tilted them outward a couple inches. You shouldn't have to take that big of a hit money wise though, the Wide Glide is close to $2000 more than the Street Bob. You won the thing anyway, congrats on that.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:17 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure you could throw a set of mids on the wideglide (anyone done that yet?) and swap out the bars........ it'd be pretty cool that way I'd think.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:13 PM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2010 Wide glide. I also had pain in my shoulders and neck after about an hour of riding. I just felt like I was reaching a bit for my bars. I opted for 6" pullback risers. Problem solved. Really. But apes may be the path for you. I would definitely try getting the bars closer to you, or getting closer to the bars. That has got to be cheaper than trading bikes, since like it or not your bike is now used, and the value has dropped probably significantly below the cost of a never titled SB.

If you really WANT to trade to a SB, I agree with the suggestion of renting one for a day of riding. That will tell you if you are trading one pain in the neck for another. Pun intended. :-)

Just my 2 cents. I am 5'9" w/ a 30-31" inseam BTW.

USMAMule

Old 10-08-2010, 09:37 PM
BDX2
Advanced

Originally Posted by USMAMule
I opted for 6" pullback risers. Problem solved. Really. But apes may be the path for you. I would definitely try getting the bars closer to you, or getting closer to the bars. That has got to be cheaper than trading bikes, since like it or not your bike is now used, and the value has dropped probably significantly below the cost of a never titled SB.

If you really WANT to trade to a SB, I agree with the suggestion of renting one for a day of riding. That will tell you if you are trading one pain in the neck for another. Pun intended. :-)

Just my 2 cents. I am 5'9" w/ a 30-31" inseam BTW.

USMAMule
LOL Thanks!!! You are right, I would have taken a beating on a trade-in.

Thank You for all the input guys. I appreciate the real world input.

I got to the dealer today and sat on the SB again. I really didn't want to take the path of a trade-in.

When I got a hold of an associate, he was very helpful. I explained my situation and he immediately suggested keeping the WG.

He said the bikes were the same (I know the rake is not)

Also my frame (all Dynas) is drilled for mid controls. It wouldn't take much to change if I decide to. He said he could hook me up with someone who wanted forward controls and we could split the labor. Sidecases would also have to be swapped since mine has no hole for the shifter. Some just have a removeable plug. There is also a full kit I could buy if I wanted to go that route.

In any case, right now my next move will be to either go with the 6" risers (appx 3.75" higher and 1" further back than stock) Only Chrome? Black would be nice!!!!

Or I may switch handlebars, not sure but the bars on the Dyna Fat Bob seem to require less reach. I'll try gradual changes first, (no cable/harness kits) but knowing that I can put forward controls on without too much trouble is good to know.

He also said backrests have helped a lot of people. there are a few used seats I can throw on and try if I want. Maybe I'll take the bike up there tomorrow and do that.

Thanks Again Sincerely for All of Your Suggestions, Lot of SWEEEET looking bikes in those posts!!!!!!!

Joe

Old 10-09-2010, 12:35 AM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BDX2
In any case, right now my next move will be to either go with the 6" risers (appx 3.75" higher and 1" further back than stock) Only Chrome? Black would be nice!!!!

Joe
I like my chrome risers. I keep meaning to post pics, but my bike is just so dirty from riding that I am reluctant. LOLOL But you could always have them powder coated black. My impression is something that small isn't that expensive. And we have a pretty darn good PC guy running around the boards here. :-)

USMAMule

Quick Reply: Wide Glide vs Street Bob