Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake lights on

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010 | 08:28 PM
billjoat
|
Cruiser
Default Brake lights on

I've relocated my turn signals in the rear...no problems. This past weekend I've relocated the fronts as well. The front and rear turn signals work fine as do the front running lights. However, the rear brake lights are on. Any ideas?

Old 10-05-2010 | 08:32 PM
WZDADS
Cruiser

Could be the relay went bad....

Old 10-06-2010 | 12:40 PM
Dynamic
Cruiser

Make sure the brake perch is snug up against the switch housing. If you get even a small gap, it can cause the switch to close.

Old 10-06-2010 | 01:59 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army

Have you been working on the grips lately? If so, the wedge (spring clip) inside the switch housing which holds the brake switch in place could be the problem...
If you open up the housing and try to operate the micro switch check if there is a response from the brake/taillight.

The switch is located as shown in image 2 (p/n 2). Try to adjust the switch's position by bending out the wedge.

Here's how the brake activates the switch:

The pin on the lever (see image 1 p/n 1) pushes the plunger into the brake cylinder when squeezed... at the same time the brake switch which is mounted through the hole (image 2 p/n 3) is being released.

Could be the switch has been damaged. When you work on the brake side follow these instructions:

When you want to take off the lever from the handlebar and insert a piece of 4mm cardboard, the lever is pulled in a little allowing the pin to come off the brake switch's rubber cap. Now the lever can be removed without snagging this rubber cap.

When you re-install the lever, insert the cardboard as well and insert the lever as shown in image 3....

If you do a search for brake switch in the Dyna Models section you'll find some more threads on this subject....

Attached Thumbnails Brake lights on-91257aeb.jpg   Brake lights on-0a8de4d9.jpg   Brake lights on-e4c2efe1.jpg  

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 03-27-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2010 | 05:11 AM
billjoat
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Have you been working on the grips lately? If so, the wedge (spring clip) inside the switch housing which holds the brake switch in place could be the problem...
If you open up the housing and try to operate the micro switch check if there is a response from the brake/taillight.

The switch is located as shown in image 2 (p/n 2). Try to adjust the switch's position by bending out the wedge.

Here's how the brake activates the switch:

The pin on the lever (see image 1 p/n 1) pushes the plunger into the brake cylinder when squeezed... at the same time the brake switch which is mounted through the hole (image 2 p/n 3) is being released.

Could be the switch has been damaged. When you work on the brake side follow these instructions:

When you want to take off the lever from the handlebar and insert a piece of 4mm cardboard, the lever is pulled in a little allowing the pin to come off the brake switch's rubber cap. Now the lever can be removed without snagging this rubber cap.

When you re-install the lever, insert the cardboard as well and insert the lever as shown in image 3....

If you do a search for brake switch in the Dyna Models section you'll find some more threads on this subject....

Great pics!! Thanks!! Did some more research and since I DID re-locate my front turn signals this past weekend, my suspisions were correct:....I've broken the tit on the brake switch!! Now I did have the forethought to go ahead and get one($54.95) yet after a quick look this morning at the situation, it doesn't look good. I have internal wiring from the factory....not much room. The first problem is however...how do I properly take the throttle cables loose from the grip? I tried this past weekend to more just one and with no slack, could release one. Moving both and getting room to cut and re-solder switch is definitely needed for me to do the job. If not, then its off to the dealership. With a brief(more than brief) diection, I'm sure I can do it myself. But there has to be a trick to get the cables loose and re-installed without grittin' my teeth not to mess up the cable too. Any help??

Thanks for YOUR continues support!!

Bill

Last edited by billjoat; 10-07-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2010 | 05:33 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

The cables have an adjustment right below the switch housing. Skin the rubber back ( a drop of oil helps) and loosen both cable adjustments. Then remove the air cleaner cover for access to the induction module and use a pair of needlenose pliers to lift the throttle cable up and out of it's perch. If you still need more slack lift the return cable out of it's perch also.

Old 10-07-2010 | 05:41 AM
billjoat
|
Cruiser
Default Update!!

Thanks for the info on removing the cables. I was pretty sure it did involve something down below but wanted to ask before doing. Went back to the garage just now, carefully studied the switch, which still worked just didn't have the flat top hat the new one does. Put the switch housing back together, checking the switch operation at almost every turn of the torx and with everything nice and snug, seems to work fine. A day(or night) or so riding will tell if it is a lasting fix or not. I think I'll keep the switch though....just in case.

Thanks again for the cable info!!

Old 10-07-2010 | 04:06 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army

Bill,

In addition to Sniper's info, here's a link to one of the Instruction Sheets in my database (see link in my signature) that can help you out (see page 2 & 5)...

chrome switch housing kit ...70222-96B

Old 10-08-2010 | 04:24 AM
billjoat
|
Cruiser

I thought that you might have an instruction sheet relevant to the switch housing. Didn't get that far in the search but have now downloaded it for future reference. Thanks!!

Old 10-11-2010 | 10:34 AM
NCcarguy
Stage I

Sorry about digging up an old post, but I have the same issue and this weekend I replaced the front switch, and STILL have a brake light that's on all the time. Where would you suggest I go from here to troubleshoot? Rear switch?

Quick Reply: Brake lights on