Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Wide Glide - Rear Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Blackhawk
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Wide Glide - Rear Brake Issue

I've just got back from a trip visiting the Normandy D-Day beaches. I've been running in my bike and have now done around 850 miles. The rear brake however doesn't seem to be working properly. I started using the brakes gently to get the brakes bedded in, the front brake is working fine but the back is hardly providing any braking force. On a hill it is all you can do to stop the bike rolling backwards, I don't think it would hold the bike two up. It's nearing its first service so I will ask the dealer to look at it. Has anyone else had issues with the rear brake?

Old 10-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Muff Daddy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The front brake should be providing the majority of your stopping power. I try not to use the rear brake much except if needed in the twisties.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 PM
bqualls
Tourer
Default New Wide Glide - Rear Brake Issue

Originally Posted by Blackhawk
It's nearing its first service so I will ask the dealer to look at it. Has anyone else had issues with the rear brake?
I have not had this issue with my rear brake. While I've read that 70% of the braking power is in the front brake, I always brake using both front and rear brakes to stop the bike, and my rear brake has plenty of stopping power. It will hold the bike in a stopped position on an incline too. Get the dealer to check it out. Depending on how many miles are left before the next service, you might want to take your bike in to have the rear brake checked out now. Got to be able to stop quickly!

Last edited by bqualls; 10-05-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:56 PM
shopratles
3rd Gear

Sounds like you are compressing air back there, probably just a stubborn bubble that they didn't get out when they bled them. Get it checked out as soon as you can.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:22 PM
atrick
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Blackhawk
I've just got back from a trip visiting the Normandy D-Day beaches. I've been running in my bike and have now done around 850 miles. The rear brake however doesn't seem to be working properly. I started using the brakes gently to get the brakes bedded in, the front brake is working fine but the back is hardly providing any braking force. On a hill it is all you can do to stop the bike rolling backwards, I don't think it would hold the bike two up. It's nearing its first service so I will ask the dealer to look at it. Has anyone else had issues with the rear brake?
Got a 07 wide glide and the rear brake has never been right and the dealer wasn't any help, checked everything and the only cure was changing rotor to a floater and changing the brake shoes to lyndals, now you can get the rear wheel to lock up. Seems the rotor drags just enough that the brakes are always hot and they just don't work right. You could probably get away with just better brake shoes that will take the heat but I went the extra mile and changed the rotor too.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Blackhawk
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for the replies. I think the air in the system idea is worth getting checked out. I have tried putting a lot of pressure on the rear brake to see what would happen and nothing much did, so it does sound like there could be air in the system. I'll contact my dealer and get the bike looked at.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Brake Bleeding

Before I went and spent a lot of money for a new rotor or pads, I would try this or similar product....a lot cheaper and less hassle if the dealer can't handle the job.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-b...kit-92474.html

Old 10-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the pedal feels 'spongy' it's almost certainly air in the system. If you're just not getting engagement at maximum travel, it could be several things -- worn pads, improper pedal adjustment.

I'm a big believer in checking the easiest and cheapest-to-fix things first. Eliminate them and go forward with more complex, more expensive fixes if necessary.

The first thing I'd do is check the mounting bolts and particularly the bridge bolt on the caliper. Torque the mounting bolts to spec and then torque the little bridge bolt to spec.

My front brake lever was just a tad 'soft' so I torqued the fasteners then I torqued the bridge bolt to spec. It dosn't take much. You'll definitely need an inch-pound torque wrench.

Might sound silly but I could notice the difference. Besides, it's a no-cost thing to do and as simple as it sounds...... You just never know.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:48 AM
moosly
Stage I
Default Did this every get resolved...

I know this thread is old but got a SuperGlide with 41 miles on it with the same problem - have adjusted pedal position but am waiting for the snow/ice to clear before I can test it!

Spoke to the dealer who is happy to have it back to investigate but can't help thinking this might just be simple adjustment/pad wearing in - particularily if the rotors were not properly cleaned before first use resulting in contaminated pads.

certainly the angle of the pedal wasnt right either - the pedal isn't soft (no air) - and the bike does slow, although not quickly, but holding on a steep grade wasnt easy... all together a bit weird.

Luckily front is absolutely fine...

Have come accross a few similar threads about new dyna's and rear brake