Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need a tool for the Decorative Triple Tree Top Nut Cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010 | 01:55 AM
parts eeter
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default I need a tool for the Decorative Triple Tree Top Nut Cover

I need you guys to point me to a suitable tool to remove the decorative top nut cover on my triple trees. Many say use a strap wrench here but I am open to suggestions. I believe a cheap tool will be sufficient here. I need to do the clunk update and grease my head bearings. Thanks in advance. It looks like I am down for a few weeks with a broken bone so I am gonna knock out the front end updates and overhaul now.

Old 10-03-2010 | 02:57 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

The thumb and forefinger usually do a good job here.

Old 10-03-2010 | 06:44 AM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

Maybe one of those things for opening up a jar? It shouldn't be on very tight, so channel locks and a piece of rubber to protect it should do the trick. Mine is hand tight.

Old 10-03-2010 | 07:00 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Default 1" dowel

I have a 1" dowel about 12" long, (piece of broom stick maybe but mine is maple) My cap is sort of down in there if you know what I mean. I tighten it by hand and then using a soft hammer tap it slightly in a CLW direction with the dowel to finish snugging it up and remember to check it after your first ride. Usually the next time I will need to tap it slightly CCLW to break it free. I have see some that people have put locktite on. You will need a rubber-coated strap wrench for that one.

Old 10-03-2010 | 07:42 AM
dpriest
Road Master

shouldnt be much more than hand tight. maybe a strap wrench if your a girly mon

Old 10-03-2010 | 07:49 AM
Kelly_A
Intermediate

You can use the same trick I used to remove my handle bar clamp bolt covers when I needed to add risers. Clean the cover with rubbing alcohol. Cut a length of duct tape long enough to wrap around the edge of the cover a couple of times (creating a tube). Push the edges of the tube together and down on top of the cover, creating a handle of sorts. That will give you something to hold onto to remove the cover.

Old 10-04-2010 | 02:32 AM
parts eeter
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dpriest
shouldnt be much more than hand tight. maybe a strap wrench if your a girly mon
Well I am currently laid up with a broken bone so I am lining up any tools needed to do the job,But i did try and remove it by hand and it seems pretty snug.

I will give the tape trick a shot, should be interesting servicing my front end while on crutches.

On a serious note,Thanks for the help. Even the Girly Mon with the pug!

Last edited by parts eeter; 10-04-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-04-2010 | 08:40 AM
Grendel4
Banned

Mine was kinda snug so I cleaned the top of it gently with some rubbing alcohol, let it dry completely, slipped a rubber mechanics style, throw-away glove on, pressed down a little with the heel of my palm and it came right off.

You might need a strap wrench, though. Couple bucks at a discount store. Not sure I'd spring for a more expensive one. They're all pretty usless.

Old 10-04-2010 | 09:51 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

When I changed mine out, I remember I was able to just unscrew it by hand.

Did you go down, riding?

Old 10-04-2010 | 12:20 PM
parts eeter
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the input guys.

SC I was just goofing off being a roughneck. Thanks for the concern. I am gonna try and chug a gallon of milk a day and hopefully I will be up for the Ride for Lightning on the 15th-16th.

Quick Reply: I need a tool for the Decorative Triple Tree Top Nut Cover