Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best can-paint to match black denim?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best color match I found was Duplicolor's "bumper coating" but if you want it to hold up thier bed liner will work better.The sissy bar is real susceptible to scratches I tried Epoxy and it scratched up in a matter of days but the bed liner has been hanging tough for months and it's super easy to touch up.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

HD spray can, $20 exact match.....But remember that it will scratch easily as that is the design of denim paint. It is supposed to show the wear marks. As the moco puts it "It Adds Character" Powder Coating would be my choice especially if you are going to bungee anything to it. Check with Joe The Powder Pro.....

Old 10-05-2010, 06:49 PM
oeberg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot for all the answers, this really is a usefull forum. The best of it's kind.

Seems like powder coating or truck bed liner would be the best way to go for booth looks and durability.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
hd king
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

DONT waste your $ on the HD spray paint, it doesnt even come close to matching. I wasted $50 on 2 cans, expecting it to match but it was way too dark. I have found that Krylon Rust Tough Flat Black is as close as u can get without spraying the whole bike over. You need to let it full cure for 24 hrs or so and its tough as hell.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 PM
fat_brad
Advanced

I have a combination of about everything just mentioned and you should be able to see in the below picture:

- The sissy bar, pipes, and air cover were powder coated with a flat black.
- All of the fittings were sprayed with rustoleum high temp flat black which is a pretty close match.
- The derby/timer covers were hand painted with the same flat black spray (sprayed and then applied with a brush).
- The shocks and console were sprayed professionally with some paint that was supposed to be a HD black denim match. This paint is a very good match and has some texture to it as well. Not quite wrinkle black, but a nice flat black that matches very well.

So my bike is a hybrid mix of several blacks but in my opinion all are a pretty close match. The only problem I have had is the powder coating I had done is very sensitive to water stains and the only way I have found to remove the water stains is via a polish which is why some of the powder coated parts have a shine to them (not quite vivid black, but not completely flat).

Old 10-06-2010, 03:40 PM
jacobp51
6th Gear

Originally Posted by freeflyr25
rustoleum general prupose flat. sand it and get yourself some self etching primer before you hit it with the flat.
+1 for the Rustoleum flat black. I sprayed my OEM front rim with this stuff cuz i got sick of cleaning rust off of the spokes. Did the job about 4 months ago, and my only gripe is my paint job got chipped at the last spoke adjustment. Easy spray touch-up fixed it. And the color match is damn near spot-on to the black denim on my nightrain. I get more compliments on my $10 black rim mod than my $400 V&H pipes.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Badillac
Cruiser

Hey guys I ReAlize this is an older thread,but I have a question I'd like to clear up before I buy the paint.I've read that the "flat" rust tough is closest to the moco black denim,but also read that the "semi flat" rust tough is a match for the denim...? Which one is closest? Flat,or semi flat?? Thanks,Big D.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Krylon BBQ paint is the closest. Its semi flat so it has just a little shine and its tough as hell. If I were you I would pick up a can of each of the ones people suggest and spray some testers. Maybe get some scrap sheet metal, prime it, paint pieces with the different cans, and then hold it up to your paint. What matches on others people's Denim might not match the same on yours just due to age and other factors.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Do some test strips and find out which you like best, I used some aluminum paint stir sticks, masked off small sections and sprayed several brands - this way you have something to compare one paint to another and see which matches YOUR bike, remember that different batches of paint could vary slightly so not every one will be identical.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:32 PM
justglidin
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good info on here. I would also say the closest match you will get is probably from HD.

Quick Reply: Best can-paint to match black denim?