Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More work on "Susie"

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010 | 02:42 PM
traveler
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I went with brand new bags, and easy brackets. $700 before paint. I had my bags professionally done...not just paint, put re-glazing the exterior surface, bondo where needed, sanded true and getting them spot on, so after all of that $1,300. Alot of coin for sure, but I have (arguably,) the nicest set of FLH bags you will ever see.

~Joe

Old 10-16-2010 | 02:44 PM
traveler
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I just finished the mods I had planned for my sissy bar brackets. The hole is for bungee cords to attach to when holding stuff on the rack. Granted, this is before powercoat, but wanted to throw a pic up to give an idea what I'm talking about. They have kind of a fishtail look, pretty trick, huh?

~Joe

Old 10-16-2010 | 02:46 PM
JRK5892
Banned

ooh ya if you are doing this on something that is already painted and you can not sand on it... run foil tape aroudn the cut out and underside, this will let you remove the whole thing so you can sand it off the bike or part and slide it in when done

Old 10-16-2010 | 02:47 PM
JRK5892
Banned

Joe what are those going to be for? how will they work?

Old 10-16-2010 | 02:48 PM
traveler
|
Seasoned HDF Member

the holes are for bungee cord hooks. I took sissy bar brackets and cut them down. Unique....I am the only one that has them.

~Joe

Old 10-16-2010 | 07:11 PM
traveler
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Well....the plates I modded to serve a bungee strap holders won't work...expensive mistake.

I also found that the rack in chrome is better than black. testfitting showed that it made the tailight stand out better and just looks great!

So, basically, I mounted the rack today and took a few pics of the completed project. Hope you enjoy. All done.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 10-17-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-16-2010 | 09:22 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member

So, tell me , why won't the mod brackets work? Is it because the holes sit flush or to close to the fender? If so, are the holes high enough to maybe butterfly (bend) them outward to maybe a 22.5 degree angle. This would bring the holes out making them usable, I would imaging that the bungie cord hooks would work then. If you make them black they won't be noticed (as much).

Something else you could try is to maybe make something similar to the bracket you made and mount it to the ghost brackets you have on the bags on the opposite side of the bracket from the bag (mounting side). It would only have to stick up maybe a half inch with 1/4" holes.

Old 10-17-2010 | 07:54 AM
Dingobob
Tourer

They look mint Joe. Will you leave them on all the time or just for trips.

Old 10-17-2010 | 09:35 AM
traveler
|
Seasoned HDF Member

all the time, mate.

Old 10-17-2010 | 09:56 AM
traveler
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Bending the modded fishtail brackets outward might work.....as it is, they sit flush to the fender. The way the rack is, I really don't need them.....I'll have to think it over a tad.....Thanks for the idea...that hadn't occured to me yet.

What I tried to do here, and the reason I started this conversion thread and chronicled it with pics etc., is to show that if you have a DYNA, and decide you want a bagger.....that this is a viable option. Trade in, involves losing your shorts due to depreciation, etc. Since I had a Superglide that I had already dumped over 5 grand into.....I just couldn't stomach essentially "giving it away". So, I spent roughly $1,300 bucks to do it myself and it had to be top notch/professional quality for me to be happy with it. So, although it was expensive, it was nothing compared to the hemmoraging my wallet would have felt doing a trade in for an FLHX.

Pro's?

Cost savings, unique~ness. My bike was already unique with the mods I had done....and you will be hard pressed to find another scooter that resembles mine...much more so than a "dime a dozen" black Street Glide (FLHX). That isn't meant as a slight at all....it's just that black Street Glides are so sweet, EVERYBODY bought one....(the dark blue one's are truly badass with some some chrome added, I'll admit)....but what about the cost?

Con's?

FLH bags are smaller than the newer generation bags found on a FLT series bagger. Tour pack may be added easily versus having make/mod brackets to fit on a DYNA.

So...........

In short...it's your call what you want to accomplish. What I have works for ME. I hope this thread was worth it. If someone gets something out of it, then it served it's purpose. Hope you see you all out on the road sometime. Ride safe and God bless.

~Joe

Quick Reply: More work on "Susie"