Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
What does giving the best ride in the world currently have anything to do with race bikes? Ohlins develops and tests their products on the track before ever releasing them to the public.

With all due respect, have you parts eeter ever tried or had experience with the Ohlins 30 mm cartridge system? BTW we also toss the 20mm cartridge system in the GSXR1000 forks for the 30 mm ones as well as the OEM shocks on customers bikes. The people with the real experience and actually know how to ride, make their choice (look at the track). The pricing is not correct that you stated and second if you ever tried or had experience with real suspension or your bike than you would actually know. If you are in the neighborhood of Fort Lauderdale you can try it out by riding my bike, please take me up on my offer. That says it all, so see and try it out yourself prior to making statements. Too many people who are experts really do not have the experience to make any judgments on what is or is not correct or good. Your GXSR1000 never came with good suspension, it was just much better than the bike you currently have.

Ohlins or I never need to defend our product as that challenge is met at the track every weekend someplace in the world. The pavement on the track or street is no harder or softer. When you are competing side by side than the difference is noticeable by either you are a winner or a looser. There is no difference between a 850 lb cruiser and a 300 lb MotoGP as far as the principle of suspension goes. The wheel moves up and down over the irregularities and must stay in contact with the pavement to get traction. Loose traction, loose the race. The frame should not move because the shocks (front or rear) that control the wheel must do this very quickly. We see traction and the cruiser rider would feel smooth.

If anyone wishes to learn something other than opinions read this (the same principle on motorcycles as on the featured cars this subject paper is on) and the 2010 champions using our products are Josh Hayes (AMA Pro SuperBike), Martin Cardenas (AMA Pro Daytone SuperBike), J.D. Beach (AMA Pro SuperSport East), Chris Caylor (WEEA 750cc Superstock), Brian Stokes (WERA SuperBike) and Benny Solis Jr. (WERA 600cc Superstock). If there were better products on the market than Ohlins, the owners of these bikes would be using them. We do not give shocks or service away, these race teams buy them the same way as anyone else do. Track side support is paid for by the race teams and is also not given away.

The same principles apply to road or track. Wheel moves and stays in contact with the pavement as much as possible for traction. This task can not be achieved if your frame and you move up and down. The wheel/tire will not do its job properly if there is shock/jolt. That is why you feel like you are normal in place of being beat-up. We publish (look at my site) what is inside of our shocks for anyone to look at. I have a question for all, why do all of the other motorcycle shock companies list just the outside photos or cartoons of their product? If anyone wishes to dispute these facts or wishes to claim their product is the best, just show up at a for real race (not under 12 years old) and prove it. The talk and the know nothing's who just talk about what they do not know about can than validate their claims. The door is always open for all to come.
Sorry Howy, I dont see how riding a sportbike in Florida is gonna prove anything. Maybe you should bring it up here to the Blue Ridge mountains and I will Test Ride the footpegs until they are a inch shorter.

All I am saying is there is really better ways to upsell your products besides tryin to talk down to everybody. You didnt like it,nor did I.
Just a side note I have been sponsored by Kawasaki just not too long ago, and have spent my fair share of time on the track. Somehow I think many others may have a similar opinion of your ego,but shy away from speaking up as you are a board sponsor. I also am a certified Honda Motorcycle Tech since we are flexin credentials and all.
Relax Man, Life is Short drop your knowledge and dont get offended when you come across somebody who just may have as much experience in motorcycle riding and mechanical knowledge as you. You seem to take offense and go on the attack against anybody who drops knowledge.

Just like ******* the stock suspension on a GSXR1000. I know and you know that 99% of the general public wouldnt benefit in a 30mm cartridge setup on this particular machine. I realize that this Ohlins components are superior to the stock components. However is it worth the dough for the street... NO .Yet you completely disregard any potential within the stock setup on this bike as it doesnt benefit you financially.

I have used Ohlins shocks on my quads before and truthfully had just as good performance on my quad with reworked stock stuff and I spent 1/3 the dough.

Like This Quote by Fast Harley
I am really sorry I have never met him at the track where all of the best of the best suspension people work. This comment directed at a Ricor believer. You dropped the track creds here, I just threw it back into play to see how you responded.

Now it may be me bein paranoid,or you are being arrogant. I say the latter. Not cool
I was actually gonna buy a cartridge setup from you when I originally inquired about Intiminators by Ricor and you stepped up and dropped that video of the chick installing that setup. When I asked what the cost was installed for OTHER members you insulted me by saying a GIRL did the install why cant you? Now thats not good business at all. I was asking because this is a Forum for Knowledge gain and bike improvements. Nobody HAS OR WILL twist wrenches on my bike, but you jumped to a conclusion and RUINED that sale. I bought a set of wheels with that 1500 bux instead of throwin it your way. Thanks for directing me to Ricor Suspension as they are proper salesmen and PRICED right. They know how to sell, have great service, and have plenty of experience haulin the mail in Baja.

Given the poor state of the economy regardless of how good business is, a salesman still needs to treat all inquiries as a possible sale. I suspect that even though you may do good work and know your stuff , you still lose sales as a result of your attitude or how others percieve how you throw off arrogance. Nothing wrong with knowing your work, but doggin fellow members constantly sure isnt how I would try and show my knowledge.

Last edited by parts eeter; 10-19-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 PM
suntadz
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had progressive on my old yamaha and remember thinking wow these are great compared to stock, (which they were). Then I switched to Ricors on my wide glide and have the same impression. Huge improvement over stock and very confidence building in the corners. I did notice after installing the 13" rears that the front seemed very floaty. Something I had not noticed before. Guess the whole bike was floating. So intalled the intiminators and that did the trick. Front and rear seem very balanced and was very happy with the whole upgrade. Im sure if i had the ohlins I would be saying the same thing about them. You just cant go wrong here.
I also scraped around every canyon turn and since this upgrade I have only hit on severe leans. But I also got rid of the stock exhaust for a thunderheader for it was my biggest scraping problem.

Last edited by suntadz; 10-19-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:13 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

parts eeter, I guess we should go our separate ways. Of course I remember you and your enquirer. I know who you were before and now. There is a video and how to save shipping and install money. I have re-read my post and inviting you back down to try the 30 mm out even if (I knew by reading posts) you are buying someones else's stuff, I guess that insults you. I should have not answered your ridicules post on what is fact or not, even when I offered to teach and show you in person.I dislike those who make statements and do not know what they are talking about and those who represent themselves as something they are not. I call them as I see them and that is why, after some conversation with you I told you what what I did. So this should end it unless you wish to snivel some more.

Last edited by FastHarley; 10-20-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:47 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No Problem, I will pass on that equipment test and the sniveling. It is now and never has been an issue of knowledge with you. Only the way you present yourself.
I have never misrepresented myself, nor spoken to you with any disrespect. I am a big enough fella to say, enough said. I will try and avoid any dealings with you on the board or anywhere else.
I apologize to any forum members that wasted any of their time reading this wasted thread.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:31 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
man they are yellow those belong on a ricer, can you get them in chrome
Youve never scene lipstick on a hog before?

I think it looks good. Id like to steal them

Old 10-20-2010, 12:31 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by parts eeter
I apologize to any forum members that wasted any of their time reading this wasted thread.
If we all apologized for our indescretions this forum would be stuffed full. Howard is forthright on occasions with what he writes, while some of your remarks......

Let me explain what a good set of shocks means on the road, after they have been perfected on the track. In 2009 my wife and I rode a 2,500 mile tour in two weeks on our Glide. After ten days she had had enough back there and was feeling very uncomfortable. We took all the short cuts and better roads we could, to get back home over those final days.

I fitted Ohlins shocks on the rear earlier this year and we have since had an almost identical holiday of 2,600 miles. We got home with no comments about being uncomfortable, except to say she would have been happy to ride on a lot longer and the ride was streets better than previously. So better shocks give a better ride and are less fatiguing.

The real benefit is of a smoother ride all the time, even on good roads. Small irregularities are just not felt. Better still, those jarring bumps and thumps over potholes and railway crossings and their like are a thing of the past. This bike has never bottomed out once since I fitted the Ohlins.

While a long trip really brings the point home, even on day trips the ride is noticably better than before. There may well be yet better shocks out there, but I am very happy with mine and, as I said earlier, am looking forward to fitting Ohlins cartridges up front. Sounds like nirvana to me! You go find yours.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez Graham!! Don't you ever get tired of being a shill for Ohlins or Howard?

My God man! Have you no pride at all?

Howard, regardless of what you, I, or anyone else may think about him; can reply for himself. He doesn't need you to do it for him fer cryin' out loud!!!

It's one thing to give your opinion on a subject and stand by it but another thing entirely to be, well heck guy, I don't even know what you are trying to be but a biker you are not.

Judging by your comments of late I could only give you credit for being a motorcycle enthusiast.

Don't take it too hard though. There are lots of people riding the roads of the world that are pretty knowledgeable enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
Geez Graham!! Don't you ever get tired of being a shill for Ohlins or Howard?
I've owned Harleys since the 70s. My T-Sport is the first one that handles well and has a good quality ride, having probably the best suspension ever fitted by the factory. It set a standard I set out to find for my Glide. Ohlins and Howard supplied it. For the first time in all those years, except for the Dyna, I have a Harley that rides and handles well and NEVER bottoms out!

That seems to be worth sharing.

In Howard we have a treasure trove of expertise well worth supporting, and we should enjoy the many benefits he provides to the discerning Harley owner.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 AM
chandler
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howard, I'll run you at JenningsGP on my HD BigTwin "bagger" with inferior suspension, single disk brake, stock motor, etc against you on your BT for money, if you wish. I just need to get in on all this loathing, I feel so left out.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:03 PM
sgt.tackleberry45
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everyone was telling me to put 13"s on, but i went with 11.5" progressives. it handles so much better and is more comfortable with 2 up riding. they are adjustable too, I always crank them to full height for extra travel

Quick Reply: suspension