Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDX or FXR as a first HD

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

fxdx has the duels your right.. easily can out perform a fxd if you adjust the suspension and forks for your riding style.. if you ask me get the FXDX

Old 09-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by justfnride
I've got about $7000 to spent on a first Harley and want to see if I'm on the right track. Handling is really important with any bike I choose and always has been over the 35 years I've ridden on the street. I have road racing experience, ride hard on the street so I prefer good brakes, suspension and handling overall. Yes, I understand HDs are not the best handling bikes out there, but I have other bikes in my garage for the times I want to play racer.

The FXDX or the T-Sport seems to be the ticket with it's fully adjustable suspension, dual piston/dual disc brakes and better ground clearance. The blacked out engine doesn't bother me since I don't care for chrome. The Sportsters' are out since I like to do a 4 or 500 mile day or a couple of thousand mile trips occasionally. Would a stripped down older FL be a better choice?

From what I've been hearing the FXRs had better frames so would updating a later model FXR be the ticket? I'm and ex-MC mechanic so I could do most of mods myself and keep an older bike running.

Any suggestions?

Justfnride
Buy the FXR and it might also be your LAST H-D. I really miss mine.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:13 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,586 Likes on 763 Posts

Buy the FXDX. Had one, loved it.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Smitty79
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FXR all the way. Best handling bike IMO. I had the opportunity to ride a 92 FXR and it blows the handling of my 09 SB away. My buddy picked up that 92 FXR in the Houston area for 5 grand. After a little work, a cam change and some other odds and ends the dyno showed 93hp out of an 80" motor! That's some ***** on a light framed great handling street machine!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 AM
justfnride
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone, great suggestions. Seems like both FXR and FXD platforms both have their merits. Finding an FXR without high miles and/or lots of extra crap on it looks to be the biggest challenge. Nice clean FXDXs seem to be for sale on Craigslist and e-bay for between $6500 and $9000, with low miles and only slight fixable modifications like controls, chrome etc. When I find a good FXDX or FXDXT I'll do the basics, ss brake lines, front fork internals, rear shocks and a good set of rubber. A stabilizer would be next on the list. I wouldn't touch one that has major internal mods without knowing the seller and the shop that did the work - been there done that!

Anyone have any suggestions on tires with good grip and decent wear characteristics? I understand that HD tires are not sized the same as other MCs so selection is limited. Is that true?

Any other mods to look into?
Any issues to keep my eyes open for when I start shopping for the FXDX? Mechanical issues that are specific to the FXD other than the obvious?

Thanks.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:58 AM
justfnride
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Got any photos of your FXD? Since you do track days at Jennings you must be in FL or GA? I'm in Central FL, south Orlando.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:44 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Thumbs up

When I find a good FXDX or FXDXT I'll do the basics, ss brake lines, front fork internals, rear shocks and a good set of rubber. A stabilizer would be next on the list. I wouldn't touch one that has major internal mods without knowing the seller and the shop that did the work - been there done that!
I agree with the stabilizer, I have a True-Track kit on my FXDXT, but before you attack the forks and rear shocks bear in mind they are both fully adjustable as stock and probably have the best suspension on any Harley big twin. In fact I suggest you look for one that still has its stock suspension.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:58 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Got any photos of your FXD? Since you do track days at Jennings you must be in FL or GA? I'm in Central FL, south Orlando.
I'm bi-coastal. Spend a lot of time in SoCal, but my home turf is St.Pete Beach/Treasure Island.

Just put on new motor mounts and True Track. WOW !!! Its a totaly different bike. Next up is converting it to dual brakes and Works Performance Cartridge in the forks. I already got the parts, just need to powder coat the new fork legs ....

Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

this is Jennings

Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 273 Posts

Some years ago I too wanted an FXR; but after talking with some grey-haired HD techs I was convinced that the TC would be a better performance platform...they were right. Althought the FXR has a better engine mounting system and weighs quite a bit less than an FXD, the EVO is ancient...and I was after (and got) reliable triple digit horsepower. Be aware that the '99 TC FXDX is largly a cosmetic exercise; single pot brakes and non-adjustable suspension...you should be able to find a decent FXDX within you budget; but you can also spend a lot on whatever mods you want...I just spent 2 days touring on an FLTX with a 120R motor; decent power and great comfort but huge and heavy. My FXDXT is a keeper.....

Attached Thumbnails FXDX or FXR as a first HD-driveway-may-11-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: FXDX or FXR as a first HD