Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thickness of primary

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dag5984
I know when I get close and break through I will be stranded where ever I am at, and when it happens it probably wont be a small leak (think murphy).

n
Go to the hardware store and get some of that epoxy putty and carry it wherever - wont be pretty but it will get you home.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:38 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dag5984
Haha...forward controls are there and rubber worn down as well as boot corners. Usuable tread is still there I have at least 1/2 inch on both sides (2 or 3 letters in the dunlop on the K591), the mini apes avoid the bar scraping deal.

Not being a d*ck here....most harley riders never use more than 1/2-2/3 of the usable tread....look at the tires and tell me the percentage of them ground flat in the middle with a square forming. Turns are one of the best parts of riding a motorcycle on the road.

Honestly I am not trying to ruffle feathers here just curious when I should start worrying. I know when I get close and break through I will be stranded where ever I am at, and when it happens it probably wont be a small leak (think murphy).

I love riding the twisties and I love harleys so I have accepted replacing parts but I was just hoping for a time frame.

If you aint scraping you aint riding.....just kidding....calm down
Start worrying when your *** is scraping and you see your bike sliding down the road in front of you without you on it. As for me? I'm so badass in the saddle I scrape the top of my mirrors.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Sumpnut
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

To quote Earl IV "You need to learn to hang off the side a bit so you don't have to lean the bike so far over..."

If the bike is lowered and your into aggresive riding then it's not hard to get metal damage.. read the above quote and adjust your riding style..it works..failing that fit your bike up for your style of riding..eg 1" longer rear shox ..

From someone who uses all the tread on his rear tire

Old 09-28-2010, 04:41 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

id like to see pics
is this bike super low

Old 09-28-2010, 05:48 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
is this bike super low
No, its a Street Bob

Old 09-28-2010, 06:00 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

I keep knocking my mirrors out of adjustment when I ride aggressively. Should I get higher mirrors?

Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 PM
DYJ
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by earl iv
you need to learn to hang off the side a bit so you don't have to lean the bike so far over
this!!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:05 PM
mang0
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i'd like to see some pics too! lets see that road rashed primary or better yet some actual pics of you in an intense lean. it doesnt take that much of a lean for me to scrape my pegs on my wide glide..but i cant even imagine scraping my primary!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:21 PM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I seem to be scraping my primary under the derby cover as well. It does look as though the bike should run out of tire before the primary could ever reach the tarmac but that doesn't seem to be the case. I really don't think I'm riding it that hard but coming from a Motocross background I may be a tad more aggressive than the ordinary Harley rider.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 PM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I discovered recently when I had the bike on a stand that I have scraped the primary as well. I swapped the stock shcks for Ohlins and it raised me up a bit. To my knowledge it has never happened again. I do scrape pegs a bit still.

Steve

Quick Reply: Thickness of primary