Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fake oil tank question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:10 AM
Honcho
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fake oil tank question

In the November 2010 Hot Bike, there is an '05 Dyna done up by Yuri Shif Customs. They have replaced the stock Dyna battery box (The only part of my Street Bob that I have always hated the look of) with a fake barrel-style oil tank that is a battery and electrical tray. Anybody know where I can get my hands on one of these? it is perfect for the look I am going for as I convert my stock Street Bob to a more vintage look. Any help would be appreciated.

Honcho

Old 09-27-2010, 12:34 AM
evo_zero
Cruiser

I saw that too! Looks great, and I want one!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:57 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-27-2010, 08:33 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Then it's just a matter of figuring out a way (fabricating) of mounting it ... and what to do with your electrical stuff (fuse panel and ECM, etc.) ....

Since the oil bag will not be used, the top of it (forward of the battery box itself could be cut open and the electrical stuff could be shoved in there somehow ...?

Obviously, it could be (has been) done ... just noting some additional factors to condsider ....

Thinking out loud here ....

R/
'Chop

Old 09-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Honcho
5th Gear

All the ones I have found online are 3.5 quart tanks with a battery tray. This one is a true dummy-tank, and has the extra room for the other electrical stuff. I don't know any fabricators in my area. Guess I am just looking for a shortcut

Old 09-27-2010, 09:03 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If you look at the frame under the seat, where the fake oil bag would go (see photo below of the frame backbone) it almost seems to me the way to go would be to cut a section out of the middle of the oil tank and mount either half separately ... the extreme rear of the backbone might need to be notched to clear the battery box ....

Maybe cut a section out of the tank and leave the battery box intact to give the thing structural integrity ....

Old 09-27-2010, 09:04 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I read that article and saw the pics in the magazine. Can't say for sure but pretty good chance it was a one off fabrication. Did you try Googleing the builder or check out Hot Bikes's site for more info?

Originally Posted by Honcho
All the ones I have found online are 3.5 quart tanks with a battery tray. This one is a true dummy-tank, and has the extra room for the other electrical stuff. I don't know any fabricators in my area. Guess I am just looking for a shortcut

Old 09-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Honcho
5th Gear

I sent an email to Hot Bike. I tried goggling the builder, but they are in Belarus. I have a friend with a welder and the skills. Maybe I could order this and make it:
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index....t_detail&p=447

Old 09-27-2010, 09:41 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Won't work without some pretty serious fab work due to the backbone under the seat area. Even still, you'd have a helluva job on your hands trying to relocate the battery. (Even if a smaller battery was used.)

Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like you would have to change from FI to carb. Then you could run your bike on 5 wires without turn sigs, etc. That would work. Just sayin'.
How are the Softies electronics laid out?

Quick Reply: Fake oil tank question